TDI manual?

MCIVER

Brothers and Sisters in TDI'dom...I have some recollection of a TDI manual, Haynes or the like, available in May or June. Can someone clue me in on where to buy one and how much they cost?

Your Brother,
MCIVER

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
The Robert Bentley manual for the 97, 98 and early 99 models of the
Golf, Jetta, and NB is now available. $59.95

Robert Bentley Publishers
1734 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02138
800-423-4595 www.rb.com

It's the only manual you have to buy.

Olli

Veteran Member
Check with New Dimensions too. I just ordered my NB Robert Bentley for only $29.97!

Olli

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I called ND and they said that the new Jetta (A3) manual that covers the TDI isn't in stock. I didn't ask about the NB manual but have to assume that they heve them. I went to Amazon.com and found the new Jetta manual for $47 and change.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module, restricted EGR, bypassed PCV, modified airbox, and custom short shifter

M

mickey

Amazon.com: '98 and '99 NB service manual (includes TDI engine) for $39.95 plus shipping.

They only list a Bentley manual for Jettas through "early 1999" models. I guess that means A3 platform, not A4. Most engine and drivetrain information would be the same as the NB, but you might as well wait for the real thing. Maybe it's available, but Amazon just doesn't stock it yet. That seems odd, though, since there are more Jettas and Golfs out there than NBs. Of course, NBs have been around for two model years now.

-mickey

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Regarding the TDI manuals. I have a 97 Passat TDI and I recently bought the manual for 90 bucks or so from JC Whitney. When I opened it I was horrified. The manual SUCKS. I have been fixing and racing VWs since the early 80s and I am used to manuals that detail every step with text, drawings and pictures. The new manuals have an exploded diagram of each system and you are pretty much on your own. And here is the biggest kick in the package: you can forget about troubleshooting with your volt and amp meter. Just about everything says "plug in VW scanner # blah, blah and read the codes". We have arrived at the point where a laptop, some software and an interface to the cars IO port are the ONLY way a home mechanic can fix their car.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Regarding the TDI manuals. I have a 97 Passat TDI and I recently bought the manual for 90 bucks or so from JC Whitney. When I opened it I was horrified. The manual SUCKS. I have been fixing and racing VWs since the early 80s and I am used to manuals that detail every step with text, drawings and pictures. The new manuals have an exploded diagram of each system and you are pretty much on your own. And here is the biggest kick in the package: you can forget about troubleshooting with your volt and amp meter. Just about everything says "plug in VW scanner # blah, blah and read the codes". We have arrived at the point where a laptop, some software and an interface to the cars IO port are the ONLY way a home mechanic can fix their car.

M

mickey

RabbitGTI: I have a laptop, and will soon have an interface and software that will work on both my '98 Toyota and my '99 VW. Cars finally make sense to me, after all these years! OBD II RULES!

-mickey

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

Not to drastically change the subject, but the maker of OBD-Tool and VW-Tool software (I forget his name) said he wasn't sure if the software would work with the TDI. He didn't have diesels in mind when he wrote the programs. Does anyone KNOW that the software will work on our cars?

Thanks,

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/33,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles <including a new fault summary> and Sound Files)

M

mickey

Which scan tool are you talking about? I've found several different ones on the Web. Some of them specifiacally mention that they include the TDI. I'd say if they guy who programmed it doesn't even know the answer, you should take your money elsewhere.

-mickey

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Buy the 1999 A3 Jetta manual. I have a 96 Passat and a 1998 Jetta TDI manual and the Passat manual is terrible. The Jetta manual is up to Bentley standards.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
OK boys and girls, I have the crummy manual, I have the laptop, I have the home PC, so what scantool do I buy (and where) and what software (where) so I can fix my 97 Passat and my future VW (probably purchased in the next year or so).
I know the world changes, but I am not interested in adapting to change for the sake of change ($hit like windoze 95 and the crappy Bentley manual for my 97 are good examples). And the computerization of cars is going to turn them into refigerators in the not too distant future. By that I mean they will be sealed and racers will be SCREWED. I am going to hold onto my two Rabbit GTIs until they put me in a box.

M

mickey

Check out the OBD II thread I reopened today. I just ordered a scan tool from a company with a Web presence, and Gary had a suggestion as well. There are several others just a Net search away!

By the way, I'm not sure your '97 is OBD II compliant.

I like the performance potential of the new cars, by the way. Power gains which used to require fairly serious mechanical add ons and modifications can now be obtained simply by plugging in a chip! It's idiot proof! Even I can do it!

-mickey

velostuf

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have confirmed with Bentley Publications that the manual for the 1999 A4 Golf TDI is not yet available. Katy Watson with RB said that it would be out late summer. She said she would let me know via Email when it was ready. I will try to let everyone here knopw at that time.

John Barron

Adam

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI (Wagon)
RabbitGTI,

Did you get the 2 Manual set ("Factory Servace Manual") for your passat. I have the set and have been rather impresses, atleast compaired to all previous manuals I have owned. I like the pictures alot. My ownly complaint is that their is not overall index. I like that my engine has its own section.

Just my thoughs.

Adam

Dzldog

What is the actual title of the Bentley manual that covers 1998-1999 A3 Jetta TDI?
I'm having difficulties finding what I need on Amazon.