Accessory belt "swoosh swoosh" noise

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
Accessory belt \"swoosh swoosh\" noise

I've got the swoosh swoosh noise at cold idle. Seems to be getting louder with the cold weather. No CEL's on. Is this any easy fix? DOes it mean the tensioner or pulley or bearing is gone somewhere or do I just need to replace this belt ? Anyone tackled this one yet? I don't own a bentley, so any posted with relevant page pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Thanks

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)

I've got the swoosh swoosh noise at cold idle.
Mike -- I had the same kind of thing, after the car came back from the body shop, following a crash. It turned out that a plastic clip (holds the coolant hoses close to the frame) got busted when the engine bounced in the crash. Unfortunately I found that one of the coolant hoses was pretty well abraded by a pulley/sprocket. Over $50 in parts costs to replace the hose
Take a look with a good flashlight, engine turned off, trace the hoses from the expansion tank plus power steering reservoir (siamesed), and verify your hoses are held securely to the frame. Let us know what you find.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle

I also had that noise, and it was gone after a TB change (noise was not the reason for the change).

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

On my car I had a similar sound and it was my tensionner/idler rollers going south. I found this out by taking off the timing belt covers, and using the time proven method of using a piece of hose to my ear and the other end probing down by the tensionner and there it was.

Changed TB, tensionner and all rollers at 76,000 miles and noise is still gone at 96,000 miles.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Re: Accessory belt \"swoosh swoosh\" noise

Can be the accessory belt tensioner. Mine started making that sound then started chirping for a few seconds at startup. If you wash your enigne, (which I do) the bearing goes bad sooner as that bearing is exposed and gets water in it.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

I have the swoosh-swoosh sound, too. It sounds very "rubbery" and immediately disappears when I spray lubricant containing Teflon behind the cam shaft sprocket.
It then stays away for a week or two and comes back.
I have been watching it for a while and decided to not worry at this point.

No symptoms of tensioner or water pump failure and I checked the serpentine belt tensioner when I changed the belt recently.

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta

I also had this problem and it was time for a TB change. No Noise after TB change.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)

Just an update guys: Ok -now there's no more chirp, but noise is louder when I open up the TB cover.

Thanks for all your input

SmokingSoul

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Bora TDI 115hp, Gray

I've got the swoosh swoosh noise at cold idle. Seems to be getting louder with the cold weather. No CEL's on. Is this any easy fix? DOes it mean the tensioner or pulley or bearing is gone somewhere or do I just need to replace this belt ? Anyone tackled this one yet? I don't own a bentley, so any posted with relevant page pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Thanks
I got that noise AFTER a TB Change.
The noise is always there, and increases with acceleration,
making a kind of a constant low pitch siren when in high
acceleration.
I told the mechanic to check the noise, and he did.
He told me nothing was wrong, all the tenioners and rollers
were changed and are new, and the noise is caused by the belt contact with the rollers/tensioners, since the belt is new and stiff and is a little bit tight. He said that after
a few thousands of miles the things will settle in propperly and
the noise will gradually disappear.

Since I've got no problems after TB chage related to this noise, I found better to not worry about.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI

I've been wondering about a wheezing sound (which might be described as swoosh-swoosh)
at idle, for about a year I guess (2002 Jetta TDI wagon) ... no MILs. I've got 70k miles, and
haven't yet done the accessory belt but that's what I'm going to do soon (and then the TB). I'll
try the hose-in-the-ear and if I figure out the source, I'll post here. Thanks; Larry.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI

Mine seems to only make the noise on first start of the day, i.e. when it's cold. I used a piece of tubing to listen directly (but not when it was cold), tried from above and below, can't detect it. I think I need to remove more parts in order to get to the idlers/tensioners anyway. I have the instructions for belt replacement in the Bentley book, but has anyone seen good photos (of the procedure) on this site or anywhere else? Thanks; Larry.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

Better verify whether or not it's the serpentine belt rather than the timing belt...

I had a "whoosh-whoosh" sound come on suddenly at 95,000 miles... turned out to be the lower small timing belt idler... since it was so close to the 100,000 mile timing belt time, we just went ahead and did the complete timing belt replacement... (BTW: the water pump also needed replacing)... Get a hose and listen careully to where the sound is coming from... worst case scenario, you'll need to remove the serpentine belt to make sure that it isn't the timing belt that's causing the noise...

Yuri.

TDIrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI

Got my "swoosh" noise after the TB change as well....I'm at about 91k miles now.

-Rob