Hitch input

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Hi all, Looking at putting a hitch on my 2015 Passat TDI.
eTrailer offers these options - My reaction is to go with the DrawTite as it is a couple bucks cheaper than the Curt and much cheaper than the ecohitch.
I'll be using it to carry our pedal bikes on a rack and perhaps renting a little trailer from time to time.
Does anyone have any input? Any reason i should spring for the ecohitch?

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
The ecohitch listed on your link looks more sturdy than either of the other two options and I think it bolts directly under the bumper support. The others kind of hang off the support. Personally, I would rather spend a couple of bucks and have the sturdier option.

(Any of these are less than the hitches I'm trying to find for my 5-series BMW - I'm looking at $600 for a hitch that doesn't show unless I'm using it...)

Snizzbob

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG
I have the drawtite on mine and it works well. It does bottom out occasionally even though it mounts pretty flush with the bottom of the bumper cover. The Ecohitch shown looks like it hangs down much further than all the others, and I'd imagine it would bottom out much more often.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Thanks guys, I guess i'll go with the Drawtite option as I'll be nowhere near the weight limit. I have a Cummins truck for the heavy stuff ;)

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
custom made bosal style hitch FTW

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I went with the Curt...easy clean fairly hidden install. I dragged it once pulling into a steep driveway. I use it for a bicycle carrier, so I may cut it up, angle it a bit higher, and reweld. Most likely won't get done and will be left as is....LOL

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I really prefer the way the ecohitch mounts, I don’t like the idea of bracing against RPP the spare tire well on the other hitches. I also like that the ecohitch comes with a 2” receiver. I’m competent with the welder, I thought about making my own, but between time and powder coating I’d probably just buy theirs.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
this was my first prototype of the hitch i fabricated:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429071

for my passat i reinforced it even more anywhere i could. but pretty much the same procedure.

without the ball receiver the hitch 2" hole sits flush with the bumper.

planning on welding up a custom motorcycle carrier. already have towing springs but if i load 450 pounds in the back i might get "suspension rubber helpers"