What does it take to make a Golf or Jetta into a light truck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
...according to CAFE rules, in order to take advantage of the easier emission standards? Obviously you (you the manufacturer, not you the driver or you the tdiclub reader...) wouldn't want to fall victim to the chicken tax, so it has to be something that could be added/assembled stateside.

Would adding spring extensions be sufficient? According to Wikipedia,
”Federal regulations define a light-duty truck to be any motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (curb weight plus payload) of no more than 8,500 pounds (3,855.5 kg) which is “(1) Designed primarily for purposes of transportation of property or is a derivation of such a vehicle, or (2) Designed primarily for transportation of persons and has a capacity of more than 12 persons, or (3) Available with special features enabling off-street or off-highway operation and use.”[1]”

Would you actually have to install the spring extensions, or is the ”available with special features” requirement met if you just pack them next to the spare wheel? Is a Golf Plus (taller Golf, supposedly popular with the older crowd in Europe) already a light truck? I'm not sure the reclassification would solve the current NOx problem, but it certainly would help with overall emissions.

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
for me...a truck is a full frame, solid axles, manual tranny, longitudinal engine, RWD (or 4WD :)), and a box or flat bed on the back.....the line is blurring more and more every year between car/van/SUV/Pick-up...Me? I still LOVE wagons......:)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
for me...a truck is a full frame, solid axles, manual tranny, longitudinal engine, RWD (or 4WD :)), and a box or flat bed on the back.....the line is blurring more and more every year between car/van/SUV/Pick-up...Me? I still LOVE wagons......:)
Yeah, I hear you; but unfortunately you don't make the CAFE rules; it's the federal government. So their opinion counts a bit more in this case, I'm afraid.
So, does anybody know what it takes? The DaimlerChrysler PT Cruiser was classified as a light truck, so it can't be all that hard.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The only thing that making it a light truck helps with is fuel economy standards, which aren't a problem. Otherwise, light trucks have to meet the exact same emissions requirements as cars.

They need to get it over an 8500 pound GVWR - read, they need to make it a 3/4 ton pickup - to help with the rest of the emissions standards, and even then, that won't be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.