alh quit running twice

pbear

TDI
2003 beetle NGI
I have an 03 bug. Recently replaced T/belt and associated items.
Driving down interstate at 70 mph and engine slowed up. I thought the cruise had just kicked off. Car would not accelerate and kept getting slower until it quit completely. Would not restart. I managed to get a ride home. Came back with tools and I drained the fuel filter and cracked open an injector. after bleeding the line I tightened it and tried to start it. It fired up after a moment. I thought it was water in the fuel. Drained the tank and put fresh fuel in it. Ran fine for 320 or so miles and the same thing happened this morning. Another motorist stopped and had some tools. I bleed the same injector (#3 with wire) and got it started again. Made it the remaining 20 miles to work. I'm wondering if I am getting air in the injector pump or if its possible to get a vapor lock. No lights coming on when this happens, BUT I don't have a check engine light at all. Have not been able to get it to test since I got the car.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Check the timing belt first and make sure all the components look okay and nothing's slipped. Also, did you get the timing in spec with vcds?

Sure sounds like you have air getting in the system though. If you had to hammer mod it that'll sometimes make the seal give up the ghost. Just disconnecting the fuel line can open up a hairline crack though. Sounds like you replaced the fuel filter too; did you mess with or replace the thermostatic T as well?
Can you see air bubbles in the clear line going from the fuel filter to the pump?

Basically you need to look, very closely for wet spots, especially around the pump. Use your sniffer, your nose to try and smell any diesel fumes and locate the potential leak. Look for wet spots in the small fuel lines between the injectors too. Wiggle those around a little bit too. They often get old/brittle.
Good luck!

Andrew

pbear

TDI
2003 beetle NGI
Thanks Andrew, I replaced the o-rings on the fuel filter and also replaced the small lines between the injectors. I have driven about 300 miles so far without an issue. Hope that it is cured.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Also keep in mind the symptoms may be feeding / fooling your intuition. No lights on the dash... did the entire dash go "dark" ? This may be an electrical failure- search "Relay 109". If it happens again, I'd recommend replacing relay 109, it's fairly cheap. Not sure how hard / easy it is to access relay 109 on a beetle.