Auto Polar FIS+ Advance (MBV in the MFD) OEM+

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
After waiting on Ross-Tech for months, first to release their VCHN (wifi vag-com) which is now released as a beta, I have been waiting months now for them to release the non-beta because the beta is only for sale to USA residents.
I have used my USA address (which I use to order parts) multiple time to order the VCHN and every time Ross-Tech tells me that the IP address of the CPU I used to order shows as being a Canadian IP! I even told them I will only use it as the mobile app and USB wired option until they fix all the bugs in the infrastructure mode. To no avail.
During my B7 A4 modding days I came across a company called Auto Polar who make a module for the MFD to display measuring blocks such as EGT, Oil temp, Boost....
http://www.auto-polar.com/index-load-home.htm
Has anyone used this product in their NMS TDI, Or any TDI for that matter? Will the product show Oil temp in the TDI NMS, because auto polar says any MB you can see with vag-com you can see with Polar FIS+, I know we can see oil tem with vag-com in the NMS TDI.
After some searching, it looks like there are some USA MK6 Golf guys that are currently using the product.
Feedback, tips, comments will all be appreciated.
UPDATE:
The issue I had with the car not starting and the "driver assist button" was due to a loose connection. Make sure you secure all the connections as well at the PF03 It self.
The total price I paid for the PF03+ shipped to my door from Spain within 24-48 hours, was $350 CAD. This price includes the 10% discount that is still being offered. The vendor I ordered from is http://www.movitelonline.com/b2c/producto/AUTO-POLAR-FIS-INTERFACE/2, the customer service I got from this company was outstanding! If anyone has worries about extra charges incurred when it reaches US or Canada, contact the vendor at info@movitel.net and they will hook you up ;), the best part is that the vendor is also a very knowledgeable VAG car owner and enthusiast! After expressing to him about my issue of no DPF or EGT temps. he contact Mun (Auto Polar developer) and Mun posted an update in my thread the same day! http://www.auto-polar.com/forum/sho...USA-2012-2014-Passat-TDI-NMS-Q-amp-A-ANSWERED.
All issue ppl were having in the past WRT KESSY, are all fixed with their new PF03 2014 edition.
Before purchasing the PF03, I recommend you send a complete auto scan to the polar team or even info@movitel.net confirming compatibility.
All updates are free and done with a computer, USB cable (provided with PF03) and a solid internet connection, I have already updated my PF03 twice. The next update will be 0.4.4 which will have EGT.
Apparently there is no DPF IN and DPF OUT Temp. for our ECU, like past VAG cars, instead they are labeled something like EGT sensor1, EGT sensor2....up to 4 sensors, hence the lack of any exhaust temps. at the moment, but Mun is working on it. I'm guessing 2 of those 4 sensors are DFP IN and OUT temp. Can someone tell me the MBV channels for DFP IN and OUT in VAG-COM?
UPDATE 2
I just updated to 0.4.4 beta. When it comes out, the 0.4.4 was said to have updates for the NMS TDI to show EGT values.
Currently I am seeing 3 of the 4 EGT sensors. I predict, it is a matter of weeks before the official 0.4.4 comes out with all 4 EGT sensors.
Below you will see every single value that is available on my car. Im only allowed 10 images per post, so the rest of the pics are in post #54.

Last edited:

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Ever thought of or used a Proxy Service?
Yes, if I was getting a $100 product, I would. The unlimited VIN VCHN is nearly $600 CAD. The last thing I want is for Ross-Tech to void warranty or support on my $600 product, at this rate they probably would.

At the moment if I had to choose between VCHN, Scangauge, OBD WIFI iPhone app, or Polar FIS+, I would choose the Polar FIS+.

Both the VCHN and OBD2 WIFI iPhone apps use WIFI to get MBV, this renders the phone useless when it comes to using it to get map directions, emails....Because the phone is connected to a WIFI network, It thinks it’s an Internet WIFI network and tries to use it to send and receive data to no avail. If I’m using the phone for anything other than to see MBVs I would not be seeing any MBV until I exit the current app and open the MBV app or Vag-Com mobile. I am not going to buy an android phone to use the torque app. I don’t like the idea of using a phone (I currently am using OBD Fusion with my iPhone 5 as a temporary measure) to monitor MBVs in a permanent manner.

Allot of guys here get the scangauge, but I am all about OEM+ and don’t like the idea of a foreign display that does not match my MFD color, mounted on the dash.

Between a regular HEX-USB-CAN ($250 CAD) and the Polar FIS+ Adv ($460 CAD Shipped) I'm still ahead of the game.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
First I have ever heard of the IP address issue. I frequently travel to Europe for work and have never had an issue with online transactions I did while I was away.

Next time tell them you are traveling on business.

-Rob

Loki

TDI
2005 NB TDI; 2006 Golf TDI
I know we can see oil tem with vag-com in the NMS TDI.
I am curious if you can get actual oil temp with VCDS. When I have logged both water & oil temps I get approx 20-25F (11-14C) offset between oil and water with oil being hotter. Even when the car has not been started for 2 days. I have suspected that the oil temperature reported by VCDS is calculated by the cars ECU and there is no actual oil temp sensor. Can anyone confirm this one way or another.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I am curious if you can get actual oil temp with VCDS. When I have logged both water & oil temps I get approx 20-25F (11-14C) offset between oil and water with oil being hotter. Even when the car has not been started for 2 days. I have suspected that the oil temperature reported by VCDS is calculated by the cars ECU and there is no actual oil temp sensor. Can anyone confirm this one way or another.
I definitely heard that before. Can someone chime in? How about DSG temp?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
First I have ever heard of the IP address issue. I frequently travel to Europe for work and have never had an issue with online transactions I did while I was away.

Next time tell them you are traveling on business.

-Rob
There is no IP address issue, it's the fact that RT's new VCHN has something called "infrastructure mode" this allows you to use full vag-com feature right from you mobile device, however your phone has to be connected to RT's server via an internet connection. And RT is not ready for other country IPs to tap into their server I guess. Honestly I don't see me using the infrastructure mode any time soon, the biggest reason for me want VCHN was to use it to monitor MBV live. If I needed to do any coding, I would just plug my laptop to the VCHN via a USB cable.

Ironically, I sold my HEX-USB-CAN soon after I got an email from RT stating that VCHN was being released on X date.

Loki

TDI
The dsg temp is accessed thru the VCDS transmission control module. I have not been able to log data from both the engine control and transmission control modules at the same time. Whatever device you use it will have to access the trans control module to display dsg temps.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will log the water, oil, outside air, and egt temps chart them and post them so you can see what I mean.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
After sending an auto scan to the polar team, the is the email response I got:

"Hello again,

I can confirm you that device will work with your car. You will be able to get these values:

Real speed
Outside temperature
rpm
Battery voltage
Fuel liters remaining in fuel depot
Measured oil temperature
Ambient temperature in engine bay
Coolant temperature
Coolant temperature at engine outlet
Coolant temperature at radiator outlet
Fuel temperature
Requested boost pressure
Measured boost pressure
Atmospheric pressure
Calculated engine load
Mass air flow
Accelerator pedal sensor
Accelerator valve sensor
Used torque
Used Power
Oil level
Inection quantity
Injection start
Injection duration
Injection start quantity
Injection quantity cylinder 1
Injection quantity cylinder 2
Injection quantity cylinder 3
Injection quantity cylinder 4
EGR Duty cycle
Requested chrgue pressure control
Measured chrgue pressure control
DPF Oil ash volume
Lateral G
Kms. drive from last regen
AD-Blue filling
AD-Blue used
Calculated DPF filling
DPF Regen status
DPF Diferential pressure"

I will be placing my order today or tomorro!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Oil level and temp seem to be at odds though. IIRC from my reading our cars do not have sensors for these things. It would be hard to get readings with no sensors in place.

sdlucky7

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Just chiming in to say that I have the Polar FIS+ in my car and I love it. The ability to customize the screen(s) with multiple values is pretty awesome.

In addition, there are a few "comfort" tweaks that can be done from it (without tons of VCDS coding) including... Side mirror down in reverse (passenger side), LED DRL off when signaling, changing number of blinks in signals (ex: from 3 to 4), etc.

I'd say, even though it is more $ than the P3 unit, it is miles ahead in its capabilities.

My only gripe is that there is a small decrease in range with the key-fob and KESSY can be slightly less responsive (ex trunk unlock). Not a deal-breaker for me.

If you haven't ordered yet. Check out this thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55019

There is a coupon code that will get you a slight discount from that vendor (it worked for me when I ordered in late 2013).

To the oil temp question... From what I have read, we don't have those sensors in our cars.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Oil level and temp seem to be at odds though. IIRC from my reading our cars do not have sensors for these things. It would be hard to get readings with no sensors in place.
that is correct, there is no oil level thermal sensor in the CRKA TDIs. Unless you add one. Getting it to read out on the MFI is still a work in progress, as there is very little information on how to get it to show, unlike the factory installed one in the VR6. Since the clusters are different, I would assume that it has something to do with the coding within the cluster, something that I have not yet been able to hack into. You can read about installing an oil sensor here:
Oil Level Sensor

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I've observed oil temp in VCDS on our 2012 SE.

-J
I've seen this in the measuring blocks as well, but don't think that it is an actual sensor as I cannot find said oil temperature sensor in the engine schematics. The only item that shows up is the oil thermal level sensor in the VR6's. I think that it is inferred based on coolant temp.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Just chiming in to say that I have the Polar FIS+ in my car and I love it. The ability to customize the screen(s) with multiple values is pretty awesome.
In addition, there are a few "comfort" tweaks that can be done from it (without tons of VCDS coding) including... Side mirror down in reverse (passenger side), LED DRL off when signaling, changing number of blinks in signals (ex: from 3 to 4), etc.
I'd say, even though it is more $ than the P3 unit, it is miles ahead in its capabilities.
My only gripe is that there is a small decrease in range with the key-fob and KESSY can be slightly less responsive (ex trunk unlock). Not a deal-breaker for me.
If you haven't ordered yet. Check out this thread:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55019
There is a coupon code that will get you a slight discount from that vendor (it worked for me when I ordered in late 2013).
To the oil temp question... From what I have read, we don't have those sensors in our cars.
Thanks for the info. As a matter of fact I came here to post that I just placed me order. I also found the same thread and not only did I follow the tips in the link you posted of that thread, I also found out that the system is 204E on the vendors site and 249E on the manufacturers site. So right there I save a bunch and still hoping for the aditional 10% discount as well.

How long did it take from order to your door?

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil temp measured vice actual temp sensor?

OIL temp is measured vice actual temp sensor i guess?

After sending an auto scan to the polar team, the is the email response I got:
"Hello again,
I can confirm you that device will work with your car. You will be able to get these values:
Real speed
Outside temperature
rpm
Battery voltage
Fuel liters remaining in fuel depot
Measured oil temperature
Ambient temperature in engine bay
Coolant temperature
Coolant temperature at engine outlet
Coolant temperature at radiator outlet
Fuel temperature
Requested boost pressure
Measured boost pressure
Atmospheric pressure
Calculated engine load
Mass air flow
Accelerator pedal sensor
Accelerator valve sensor
Used torque
Used Power
Oil level
Inection quantity
Injection start
Injection duration
Injection start quantity
Injection quantity cylinder 1
Injection quantity cylinder 2
Injection quantity cylinder 3
Injection quantity cylinder 4
EGR Duty cycle
Requested chrgue pressure control
Measured chrgue pressure control
DPF Oil ash volume
Lateral G
Kms. drive from last regen
AD-Blue filling
AD-Blue used
Calculated DPF filling
DPF Regen status
DPF Diferential pressure"
I will be placing my order today or tomorro!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
None of these things require "tons of VCDS coding". A click or two is all.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
On the NMS you need memory seats for reverse tilt, vagcom does not help.

Now you got me thinking, perhaps Polar can develop a FW update to allow windows up/down with fob.

Loki

TDI
Here are 2 charts made from VCDS temperature data, all converted from C to F. First chart is all the temps I could find in VCDS. Second is same data with EGT's removed to show that the oil temp is derived from other data. Note that the oil temp started about 20F higher than all other temps.

The car had been sitting in garage for 26 hours prior to this start so all temps started the same.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ Thanks for the graphs! This confirms that there is a reading for Oil temp. however the temp is "calculated" by the ECU and not a direct reading from a temp sensor, which is absent in our cars.

A few quick updates:

-After reviewing the list of MBV available with the Polar FIS for our cars, I realized that EGT was missing but there are 2 values for DPF, in and out temp. Are those 2 values suffice to monitor warm-up procedure and regen temps? I emailed Polar asking about EGT and they confirmed that it is not available as of yet, but they are working to include it in the upcoming updates.

- After searching, it appears that the CAN GATEWAY is located under the steering column. Can anyone please chime in and confirm this?

- The 10% discount was applied! The new price is 227E shipped, I should be getting it tomorrow. If you use a credit card vice paypal it will cost 12E less.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DPF in or CATB1S1 (for my Torque app) should be sufficient to monitor dpf activity. When this one goes high it is an event (either regen or warmup). I have an alarm set (800 F) for this one to let me know so I don't have to stare at it all the time to know.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
DPF in or CATB1S1 (for my Torque app) should be sufficient to monitor dpf activity. When this one goes high it is an event (either regen or warmup). I have an alarm set (800 F) for this one to let me know so I don't have to stare at it all the time to know.
What he said. CATB1S1 is what some people call DPF IN, and CATB1S2 is DPF Out. The sensor actually called EGT is the PreTurbo temp probe.

No need to monitor anything below 1000F. You can easily get over 800 with spirited acceleration or going up a long grade. 1050 and above is a regen. Sustained above that and you are definitely in a regen.