Single mass vs. Dual mass flywheel???

Btdi

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI PD, 2014 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
Today I bought a TDI parts/donor car and I will be beginning the manual swap from this 2000 tdi to my 2005 Mkiv tdi. I was wondering which is better for this swap a single mass or dual mass flywheel?

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
If you plan on keeping power levels within 15% of stock, then the DMF is the better choice.

If you plan on modding for mroe than 15% stock power, then go SMF with a high torque yield rating.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
If you plan on keeping power levels within 15% of stock, then the DMF is the better choice.

If you plan on modding for mroe than 15% stock power, then go SMF with a high torque yield rating.
Well put!!

+ I would add SMF has less chance of coming apart and destroying your tranny.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
just go SMF. the DMF will come apart on you eventually anyway. they are not known for longevity...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just go with a SMF. I had a DMF in my 2006 from the factory. At 50K miles, I changed it to a SMF because I was just so sick and tired of the miserable engagement the DMF had.

I find it hard to believe that VOA thought that the DMF even belonged in these cars. What a miserable thing to do to an otherwise awesome car.

The only downside to a SMF is the gear jangle you get at idle in neutral with the clutch out. It is not really that objectionable once you understand that the sound is completely normal with a SMF.

I am at 103K miles with my SMF and still have a love affair with how awesome the engagement of the SMF is.

Throw the DMF clutch in the trash and don't look back..................

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta

I would go so far as to agree with slamhouse but would add that if you want a clutch that performs like some of the best clutches you have ever driven, then go with a SMF clutch. If you want a clutch that has a vague engagement point and is a chore to drive, go with a DMF clutch.

I suppose some years are different, but my 2006 A5 DMF clutch would bring tears to your eyes because of how miserable it was. I went from stalling the car about 5 or more times a week to stalling it about once every 6 months.

Last edited:

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I am in finishing up the swap on my 2005 Jetta wagon. I went with a South Bend SMF and clutch setup. FYI the wiring sucks for the PD swap.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I would go so far as to agree with slamhouse but would add that if you want a clutch that performs like some of the best clutches you have ever driven, then go with a SMF clutch. If you want a clutch that has a vague engagement point and is a chore to drive, go with a DMF clutch.

I suppose some years are different, but my 2006 A5 DMF clutch would bring tears to your eyes because of how miserable it was. I went from stalling the car about 5 or more times a week to stalling it about once every 6 months.
The DMF in my jetta engages perfectly and better than any other clutch ive driven which is partly why i bought it.

Perhaps your clutch developed a glaze resulting in harsh engagement.

The only bother i have with the DMF is the pulsating clutch pedal byt ive come to accept it.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I must admit, I prefer the feel of the smf to the dmf, it just feels nicer when it engages. I'll be fitting one again once I've killed the dmf in my current car :D

wort

TDI
98 VW Beetle
does anyone have the link to a good pictorial DMF to SMF swap as well as clutch.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I know I did not like the original DMF in my 01 bug, however, the DMF I have with the 02M (Sachs) is a dream to drive. Have done 3 of these and they are perfectly consistent. I have no experience with the SMF, however, personally if I were dealing with the 5 speed, I'd go the silent design SMF by southbend.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The DMF in my jetta engages perfectly and better than any other clutch ive driven which is partly why i bought it.
Perhaps your clutch developed a glaze resulting in harsh engagement.
The only bother i have with the DMF is the pulsating clutch pedal byt ive come to accept it.
Of course my experience is only with 1 clutch so maybe I just got a "dud". My DMF was always about the same from brand new. With less than 20 miles on it, during the test drive I stalled it several times.

It wasn't a really a harsh engagement, it was more like a vague engagement point were the engagement point would sort of change as you let the clutch out to try to get the clutch to engage smoothly.

For 50K miles, I tried to adjust my driving style and could never get any better at smooth takeoffs. The SMF, from the first time I drove it, was as smooth as butter..........................

wort

TDI
98 VW Beetle
DMF Rattling

I know I did not like the original DMF in my 01 bug, however, the DMF I have with the 02M (Sachs) is a dream to drive. Have done 3 of these and they are perfectly consistent. I have no experience with the SMF, however, personally if I were dealing with the 5 speed, I'd go the silent design SMF by southbend.
I need to switch it out due to the excessive noise of it getting ready to explode, it's pretty loud once it gets heated up. when the car is cold it doesnt really make the slapping sound, but while driving/in neutral you can hear the throwout bearing squeaking too not bad but enough to warrant replacement. I plan on getting the sbc stage 2 daily. SMF with clutch. at least i think that is what is wrong with the car. I'm not a mechanic however.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
wort, looks like you are on the right track. Had a local fellow call me last week complaining that his clutch would not disengage properly. Told him I thought it was his pressure plate beginning to give out. This is what he found. He was very lucky it didn't grenade his transmission.

wort

TDI
98 VW Beetle
Holy Cow, I would say hes very lucky, hopefuly mine holds out until the parts come in, (id parts had a backorder on the SBC stage 2 daily kits. should be and additional week, mine just started clanking a little more and is intermittent so hopefully its not on the verge of explosion, no engagement problems yet so thats a good sign.

Thanks.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
SMF-Stronger, holds more torque, light pedal feel depending on which one is used, Noisy at idle on most especially if light flywheel used, dependable, flywheel can be resurfaced, usually outlasts stock.
DMF-quiet