Interior lights dead, not the door switch

NigelMac

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon BEW
Same issue with mine.

Thanks for the help everyone, I was surprised that it was corroded as I don't have a sunroof or anything. Anyways, happy it's fixed.

Car is 2004 Jetta Wagon

marcobrunello

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
I'll add my voice to this thread, today I fixed mine and my roommate's Jetta Wagon, in my case I had lost the rear hatch latch motor, and she had no interior lights. Mine is a 2003 and hers a 2006. I just soldered the joints and covered with heat shrink tubing, the kind with the glue in it, and tucked it upwards instead of down near the floor as it was. I didn't feel that it was necessary to tape the bundle and it may be that the tape that was there helped wick some water into the bundle. Our cars don't leak, but in the middle of winter the floor of the car near the pedals is just salty slush soup, and I definitely never feel like cleaning it up until the weather warms up a bit. Thanks to Torque_Delight for his helpful post!

Last edited:

macdonaldtomw

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD)
Yay this is a great thread... its too buried in other door-switch related red herring threads. After reading through it I am 99% sure this is the phantom problem I've been dealing with.

:D

cccmachine

TDI
No interior lights for me on my 2010 A3. Will be looking into this when I have time. Hope this is the problem.

nicklas669

TDI
Golf 1,9 TDI (90 hp)
Hey guys, I got the no interior-light problem described in this thread and I wanted to check the connection with the red/blue wires. I got down to a cable behind the hood opener handle but I don't think it really looks like what some people have posted images of earlier in this thread? I think mine looks smaller and also it doesn't have that red tape all around it? Also, do I have to follow the cable further up than this to find the bad connection? Below are some pictures:

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

nicklas669

TDI
Golf 1,9 TDI (90 hp)
Hey guys, I got the no interior-light problem described in this thread and I wanted to check the connection with the red/blue wires. I got down to a cable behind the hood opener handle but I don't think it really looks like what some people have posted images of earlier in this thread? I think mine looks smaller and also it doesn't have that red tape all around it? Also, do I have to follow the cable further up than this to find the bad connection? Below are some pictures:
Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Following up on my last post. So today I got around to checking the red/blue connection behind the hood opener panel:

As you can see, the wires look fine so unfortunately this was not my problem. I am now wondering what could be wrong. I have read that it could be a relay inside the CCM that has gone bad? Anyone got any advice?

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon chiming in, same interior light issue, same solution. Thanks for pointing me straight to the corroded wire culprits!

acestor

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Another one

Hi folks,
Another success story here. 2005 Jetta wagon, interior lights suddenly stopped working a month or two ago. All interior lights except for lower reflector light on the passenger front door and the cargo overhead light were affected. No other problems, and all the fuses were fine.

I finally got a chance this weekend to dig into the bundle of wires behind the lower A-panel on the driver's side. Sure enough, the copper was gone on most of the wires, replaced by a pile of blue-green powder. Re-stripped and re-connected, and voila.

I shudder to think of how long this would have taken me to figure out on my own. I am incredibly grateful for this resource!

Cheers,
Andy

UgoTdi

TDI
jetta wagon tdi PD
kudos to TorqueDelight

thanks I had same problem on tdi wagon mk4!
Pizza n beer splurge on me when you are in PA!

I have found the problem and I think it might help others...

I found the positive split that spread the wires going to each interior lights component to be very badly corroded. I think this it due to a water leak from the sunroof drains that leaked into the car because there was a good amount of water in the dead pedal corner of the floor carpet.

So here are the pics:
http://www.torquedelight.com/2013-11-27 - Interior lights wiring/

This is where the split is located. Right under the hood handle cover. It's covered with red tape that looks like hockey tape. You gently cut this open to find the +12V split. It's a bunch of Red/Blue wires.

Now a closer view of the wire split here shown with black hockey tape...

And then the OMG portion... I pulled on the black tape and here's what happened.

Every wire is badly corroded to the point that there's no copper left !

I didn't fix it yet but I'm sure that after cutting, skinning, cleaning the wires and welding them back it will work just fine.

I will also look for where that water came from.

Hope this helps

Coolseul

TDI
03 ALH Mk4
Good Job

I had a 2006 TDI Wagon with the same problem. I don't know how you managed to find that junction point (Bently wasn't helpful to me). I saw your post and tried it, problem solved. Thanks

sstangman

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No interior lights

I had this same problem on a 2006 Jetta TDi, no interior lights but the puddle lights in the doors worked. The issue turned out to be fuse #15 in the left instrument panel, 7.5 amp for the Vehicle Electrical System Control Panel (J519). Hope that helps someone.

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Hey guys I have the same symptoms in conjunction with a battery drain. Is there any correlation with the two?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Any lights staying on?
Amp in the back has been known to stay on. (not many posts)

You might start a new thread as this is an old one.

TDI4MI

TDI
00 GOLF ALH 1.9 TDI MKIV
I am not sure if you are still having this issue?

My 99.5 golf had the same problem. The issue was with the middle relay in the CCM module. Yes if you know how you can take it apart and open up the relay to see if it is actually conducting properly. Mine was clicking but the contact pads were gone. I ended up cleaning the contacts which worked for a while but in the end wiring a new external relay to the CCM was the solution.

On another note, even if you buy a CCM from ebay you have to be careful since you could potentially get a unit with the same problem.
I believe to have an issue with the CCM relay and interior lights... could you detail how you resolved it?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Thanks for this thread. Worked perfectly. At first I thought it didn't but the driver's door bulb was blown which gave me a false negative.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Hmmm, I wonder if this is the reason why my 2001 dome lights and sun visor lights sometimes are very dim despite having replaced them with l.e.d.'s, and sometimes the door cards are a bit dim as well. Going to have to check it out.

obscenic

TDI
1.9L MK4 Golf (2000)
If there is no red/blue split in that bundle... Where else might it have been in 2000?