Wrong oil, wrong coolant too? - Jetta TDI 2009

Va6tmy

TDI
None
Hello,

I have a Jetta TDI 2009, Sedan, Manual transmission (Canada). I went to the dealership to stock up on some fluid essentials, like coolant and oil, just in case.

They gave me G12 coolant (part #: g012a8fa4) , while the instructions manual states that the car was factory filled with either G12+ or G12++.

Also, when I asked for a quart of oil, they gave me Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W30, which does not meet the 507.00 VW standard. The right oil would be Castrol SLX Professional LL03 SAE 5W30.

Both of these fluids have been used in my car, after I found out about these things on here. A good amount of coolant was used because I installed a Zerostart engine block heater.

Can you tell me know what to do next?

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Call the dealer and do some yelling!

Welcome to the wild world of VW and Fred's!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Va6tmy said:
...instructions manual states that the car was factory filled with either G12+ or G12++...Can you tell me know what to do next?
I was thinking that you could ask when G12++ will be replaced by G12#, but nerdy computer humor would be lost on them.

gixxer0.6g

TDI
05.5 Jetta
Gosh, this scares me. We bought ours used from a non-VW dealer last week and they did some "service" on it which consisted of an oil change that I'm sure they just used regular 10w-30. Now you got me wondering about the coolant. Any way to check other than looking for a pink/purple color?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Do you have a receipt showing the part numbers of items the dealer showed you?

As for the G12, aren't G12, G12+, and G12++ are compatible each other? What's the worst case scenario for using G12 in an '09? How long's it been in there? Drain it out, flush the system, and replace with + or ++, which ever you prefer. FWIW, the coolant bottle on my car says G12.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
gixxer, if they've mixed the coolant it is likely with the green stuff which will result in a brownish mess. get that flushed and change your oil asap.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
greengeeker said:
gixxer, if they've mixed the coolant it is likely with the green stuff which will result in a brownish mess. get that flushed and change your oil asap.
You have zero proof to base that on.

If they mixed it at a VW dealer they more than likely won't even have the green stuff. G12+ and G12 are mixable and there is nothing to fear!

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
NB_TDi said:

If they mixed it at a VW dealer they more than likely won't even have the green stuff. G12+ and G12 are mixable and there is nothing to fear!
Green + Pink = brown

I see it often in the states :(

gixxer0.6g

TDI
05.5 Jetta
NB_TDi said:

It was bought from a Non_VW dealer so I'm sure if they topped it off or replaced it, it would have been with the green stuff.

ARCJr

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI "GTD"
As has been stated before:
G12++ is an improved version of G12+, which was an improved version of G12, but they are all compatible with each other. There is no reaction when you mix any of them together. They are shades of pink to purple.

It is only if you mix G12/+/++ with either G11(Blue) or any off the shelf green colored coolant where you will get a chemical reaction between the coolants, resulting in brown or other colored gunk in the cooling system.

Va6tmy

TDI
None
Allright guys, I have answers for you.

I went to the VW dealership, and got this :

1- OIL : The earlier technician did a mistake, by just picking up what he thought was "good" for all TDIs. They acknowledged the mistake, and replaced the oil with the good stuff. Which means :

ZVW-352-167-Q-DSP = BAD
GVW-052-195-M2 = GOOD

Now..

2- COOLANT : I was given the RIGHT jug of coolant. The KEY here is your VIN#. Give it to the parts guy and he'll know EXACTLY what your car needs. Saying "09 Jetta TDI" will only cause confusion. For my VIN#, VW says it was G-012-A8F-A4. You may get a different part number depending on when the car was made, I was told. That explains why my coolant did not change color, it stayed pink, after the top-up I did when I installed my block heater.

Hope this helps all of you. Cheers,

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
gixxer0.6g said:
It was bought from a Non_VW dealer so I'm sure if they topped it off or replaced it, it would have been with the green stuff.
That or with the new prestone (i think) clear stuff which supposedly can mix with any antifreeze (key word supposedly)

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
meetis said:
That or with the new prestone (i think) clear stuff which supposedly can mix with any antifreeze (key word supposedly)
A reminder... the reason coolant is coloured is because it is very sweet and highly toxic. Clear coolant, if spilt, would be hard to spot. I understand they just have to lick a few licks and they are done for.