"lildevildee and St_Elmo's Traveling Adventures Fund" OR "Fantasy Oregon Trail!"

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
"lildevildee and St_Elmo's Traveling Adventures Fund" OR "Fantasy Oregon Trail!"

Ok, here's the gist of this... lildevildee, her husband, her 3 small children, and her three dogs are moving from Seattle, WA to Norfolk, VA. Expected departure time was February 1st. It is now February 6th, and they still haven't left.

Anyway, they are traveling with a 2007 Sprinter, which will have the three children and three dogs in it, and will be towing a large travel trailer / RV loaded with stuff. The combined vehicle weight is 2,000 lbs over the van's limits.

The other vehicles will be a 26' International brand Penske moving truck, which will be flat-towing the couple's Ford F-350.

It is important to mention that the couple will be driving to California before heading east, as to avoid the many mountain passes in Washington State that are mostly shut down due to a perpetual blizzard.

Total trip distance, 4,300 miles... Suggested arrival date: Feb 20... Mandatory arrival date: Feb 28

So yeah, here's how the betting works. There will be three categories.
  1. DEPARTURE TIME (time zone = West coast time) -- wagers are $5 for each hour block of time. If you guess their departure time correctly, you win the pool.
  2. FIRST CALAMITY TIME -- wagers are $5 for each hour block of time after trip departure time. Example: 1st hour, 2nd hour, 3rd hour, etc. If you guess correctly, you win this pool. (First hour = 0 minute - 59 minutes)
  3. ARRIVAL TIME (time zone = East coast time) -- wagers are $20 per day.
Important Things To Read:
  • The pot can be split for each pool, if people having overlapping bets.
  • Rule Update: No purchasing a time slot within 60 minutes of said slot.
  • Rule Update: To prevent more ***** piggybacking like bhtooefr is doing, if two people have one time slot, the procedes will be split as follows: 67% going to the person who had the time slot first, 33% going to the piggybacker. The exception to this is if two people sign up at the same time according to post times, then the pot split is 50/50.
  • Keep an eye on this, as we will likely be adding more pools to the list as the trip progresses. :D
  • Scurvy will be handling all monies. Please visit the Road Trip website http://sammich.org/washingtontrail/ for a friendly purchasing interface, or send money to chicagoted@gmail.com via PayPal.
    • IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE PayPal for debit/credit cards. Google Checkout is prefered for all purchases, and is required for plastic purchases. Thanks!
  • Make sure that you post in this thread.
  • This post will be updated regularly with updates on the family's progress.
  • 10% of all procedes go to the TDIclub Forums. In the event that nobody wins a particular pool, all money will be donated to the TDIclub Forums.
  • All questions should be asked in the TDIclub chat room @ http://tdiclub.com/chat
    • Mob rule of #tdiclubchat will settle ALL disputes.

If you want to pass the time with us, follow this link! http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html

Last edited:

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I'll take 7:00 - 8:00 PM on Feb 6th for departure time, and 20th hour for first calamity.

And I've got $5 that says at least one vehicle doesn't make the entire journey.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My wagers:

1.) Departure time:
1:00 - 1:59 PM today
3:00 - 3:59 PM today
10:00 - 10:59 AM tomorrow

2.) Calamity time:
1 hour into the trip
3 hours into the trip
10 hours into the trip

3.) Arrival time:
Waiting for now...

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
My wagers are all for departure time, not calamity time.

16:00-16:59 today
20:00-20:59 today
23:00-23:59 today
15:00-15:59 tomorrow

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Verified payments & times are here; I will try to update this as much as possible. Be patient, I try to have a life. ;)

CALAMITY - POOL RECLOSED - $20 GOES TO TDICLUB FOR ROUND 1
48 hr elapsed BlueCTTDI - WINNAR!!!!!11111111ONEONE

ARRIVAL - POOL CLOSED TDICLUB GETS $100

DEPARTURE - POOL CLOSED - $25 GOES TO TDICLUB
15:00 - 15:59 bhtooefr - WINNAR!!111

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
CALAMITY @ 16hrs after departure!!!! :p

...that is between 15:00 - 15:59 since leaving

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Remember that departure times are Pacific Standard Time and arrival times are Eastern Standard Time. Calamity times are based on departure time, so x number of hours after departure.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They still haven't left their house. You can still grab your spot in the first pool before it's too late!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL. It's up to the gang, but if they say it's okay, feel free! :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm buying the 1st hour of calamity spot. Lawson, you'll have to share the pot.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Buying...

Departure Time:

1300 - 1359
1600 - 1659

bhtooefr

TDI
None
This'll be 02:00 to 02:59 tomorrow.

Also, I'll start the arrival pool with 2008-02-21. (once scurvy fixes the google checkout button for arrival)

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
bhtooefr said:
Also, I'll start the arrival pool with 2008-02-21. (once scurvy fixes the google checkout button for arrival)
Fixed. If it shows up as $5 for anybody, clear your cookies from google and retry.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
We're still at our house. We might leave in the next couple hours, around 0400 or around 1000 tomorrow morning. Heck, we might leave later than that. I'm not sure yet :)

I will be sending out text message updates to a couple people; drop by chat for the latest in our crazy trip ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
LOL, at this point, you can say whatever you want for departure times, and nobody will believe it. Remember, you were leaving February 1st. And then you were leaving February 6th... :p

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
Then why did you quickly buy the first time slot of tomorrow when I said we will probably leave around midnight???

We'll eventually leave, lol.