new beetle TDI convertible?

slr_54

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (black)
So I've seen new beetle TDI's and new beetle convertibles, but I haven't seen a new beetle TDI convertible. I know they came out with them in Germany a couple years ago--do they make them in the US? What would it take for me to import one from Germany (US-EPA, etc)? Or would it be easier/cheaper to put a tdi engine in a gas beetle?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Alas, we haven't had any TDI Beetle convertibles stateside. They sell every coupe they can bring over with the smog restricted numbers allowed.

TM

slr_54

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (black)
Thanks for your quick reply!
So, onto the second part of the question--could I import one from Germany, or better to try and do a TDI conversion?

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
well, there are two ways of doing this. One, you get the donor parts from europe, engine wire harness and all the jazz and swap it with your gas stuff. Or the other way of doing it is ording a new beetle in the uk, have the engine removed and have them shipped seperately as "parts" and when it gets here throw engine in and your good to go. I have more info if your interested. PM me

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
not going to happen, not enogh market to produce for north america.plus the beetle getting close to the end.

lhd65bug

TDI
2006 New Beetle TDI Cabriolet.
Hi there,
I bought a brand new NBC TDI in the U.K. just over a year ago; we're spoilt for choice for VW diesels here; feel really sorry for you guys stateside ! It has the 105 bhp PD motor (BSW prefix); It's now covered 9587 miles and it still makes me smile every time I drive it !