2006 tdi jetta puff of smoke on startup

tammons

TDI
na
I have about 13k miles and am running 506.1 oil.

When I start up I get a small puff of white smoke.

I assume it has to do with the oil viscosity and not some engine problem, I hope.

Anybody else notice this ??

dunlin182

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/2000/black
every tdi i have ever seen does that, mostly on the first cold start of the day. My friends is so over fueled that when he starts it dumps in so much fuel to stay on that it puts out white and black smoke mix, figure that one out... But anyways, don't worry about it, as far as i know its normal! As long as it goes away after 10 seconds or so...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Normal. Nothing to do with the oil viscosity. Every diesel does it more or less. The pistons are stone cold; any fuel that touches them during the first few revolutions doesn't burn, and comes out as a puff of smoke.

If you are concerned about a wee puff from your P-D, try starting up a big ole bulldozer or tractor-trailer diesel that has been sitting overnight in below-freezing weather ...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
tammons said:
I have about 13k miles and am running 506.1 oil.

When I start up I get a small puff of white smoke.

I assume it has to do with the oil viscosity and not some engine problem, I hope.

Anybody else notice this ??
100% normal and a fact of life with diesel engines. You're more likely to see it in the winter months following a cold start. It's simply atomized but unburnt fuel from right as the engine fired up.

It has nothing to do with oil viscosity. And BTW, there is no 506.1 oil. It's 506.01 oil.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Are you giving fuel at startup, depressing the pedal ?? All my diesels give a tiny puff at startup but is gone in a second.

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
Open the window and enjoy the stench... When it gets really cold also enjoy the castinettes in the engine, although mine sound like they're being played by a mentally handicapped person! :D

I recommend installing a TDI heater, it takes the trouble out of starting on a cold day.

Strack

Veteran Member
I've been using Power Service with Anti gel additive (white bottle) and smoke on a cold start has been reduced dramaticly. In winter months, I would normally get a little smoke on start up, but with ULSD and Power Service, I'm seeing very very these days....

dieselTQrules

TDI
'99 Beetle
I just switched to B99 and started to notice the smoke. Prior to that the last time I saw smoke was back in Wisconsin when the temperature was freezing. It's odd because the temperature hasn't changed really, it is San Diego, but since running BIO i've noticed the smoke. What a difference in scent though!:D It's quite pleasant in comparison to #2, but my wife said that she kinda misses the smell. She said jokingly we might have to switch back to #2 once in a while to enjoy the dino smell.