No Bluetooth on RCD 310 Radio?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I just bought a "fixed" 2013 Jetta TDI for my son. It has the RCD 310 radio, which I believe is the base, standard radio. Salesman said the car has Bluetooth (FWIW). On the Setup menu, it says "BT-Audio", and you can toggle between On and Off. However, I can't seem to get it to pair. My phone sees it, with some long alphanumeric name, but says it's unable to pair.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does BT not come with this radio, or doesn't come with all of the RCD 310 radios but only some of them?

In the radio booklet, the first sentence says, "Bluetooth audio is only possible in vehicles equipped with a factory installed mobile phone package that supports this function" Is that my answer right there?

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
I just bought a "fixed" 2013 Jetta TDI for my son. It has the RCD 310 radio, which I believe is the base, standard radio. Salesman said the car has Bluetooth (FWIW). On the Setup menu, it says "BT-Audio", and you can toggle between On and Off. However, I can't seem to get it to pair. My phone sees it, with some long alphanumeric name, but says it's unable to pair.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does BT not come with this radio, or doesn't come with all of the RCD 310 radios but only some of them?

In the radio booklet, the first sentence says, "Bluetooth audio is only possible in vehicles equipped with a factory installed mobile phone package that supports this function" Is that my answer right there?
Mine was a 2014 value edition with the most basic radio. I dont believe it had bluetooth hands free, but it did have an aux jack. I got fed up with it and installed a new sony apple carplay radio. I found it odd that a car in 2014 wouldnt at least have bluetooth standard. My old 2014 Audi a4 had bluetooth hands free but not streaming audio lol.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have had more difficulty pairing phones with jettas than passats, beetles, tiguans etc. My 13 beetle had the rcd310 with sirius radio, i had bluetooth for phone and audio.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Mine was a 2014 value edition with the most basic radio. I dont believe it had bluetooth hands free, but it did have an aux jack. I got fed up with it and installed a new sony apple carplay radio. I found it odd that a car in 2014 wouldnt at least have bluetooth standard. My old 2014 Audi a4 had bluetooth hands free but not streaming audio lol.

I have a feeling it's not BT capable.

What about replacing it with the better radio, which I think is the RCD 510. There are a bunch for sale on Ebay and elsewhere. Does anyone happen to know if it's a simple bolt in, plug in replacement? Or is it not so simple? And do I have to get one that's specifically for the Jetta, or would one for a Passat or Tiguan or Golf work too?

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a plug and play upgrade to an rns315, it sounds better. I had to add the gps antenna. The radio, antenna and tool kit cost about $160. Do you have any Bluetooth capability now? If no, then you would have to add the Bluetooth module.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a plug and play upgrade to an rns315, it sounds better. I had to add the gps antenna. The radio, antenna and tool kit cost about $160. Do you have any Bluetooth capability now? If no, then you would have to add the Bluetooth module.
When you say "plug and play", do you mean it's a simple remove and pop in, and the plugs match up?

What's involved in adding the GPS antenna? That's for the Nav, I assume.

And finally, what's a "Bluetooth module"? Where does it go?

Thanks.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, simple remove and reinstall. I bought the gps antenna on ebay and installed it with double sided tape on the underside of the dash. I drove a 13 jettatdi yesterday and connected my phone to the bluetooth. I had my phone on the bluetooth menu, then started the car, it paired easily.
A couple of pictures for you from that car.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, simple remove and reinstall. I bought the gps antenna on ebay and installed it with double sided tape on the underside of the dash.
I'm still a bit unclear. Did you replace the RNS 315 with another radio, or just enhance/upgrade it for BT?

So the GPS antenna can be mounted inside the dashboard, no need for a shark fin on the roof?

And again, what is a "BT module", and how does it get added?

Thanks.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
If it has a Bluetooth module it’s under the passenger side front seat on the floor. Some versions of the RNS-315 have Bluetooth built-in. The antenna is mounted inside of the dash for GPS and Sirius if it’s isnt equipped. I have an RNS-315 in my garage and have the security code for it. With the RNS-315 you can also add a backup camera.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the rcd310 like the jetta in the photo with bluetooth and sirius, i removed the radio and replaced it with a rns315. Shark fin is separate from gps, mine had the shark fin from the beginning.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the rcd310 like the jetta in the photo with bluetooth and sirius, i removed the radio and replaced it with a rns315. Shark fin is separate from gps, mine had the shark fin from the beginning.

What other radios besides the RNS 315 are an easy remove & replace for the 2013 Jetta, where it's a simple unplug and plug-in?

What do you mean "Shark fin is separate from gps"? I thought the shark fin is the GPS antenna. No?

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The shark fin antenna doesn’t necessarily have the gps antenna in it. If you retrofit a nav unit then you’ll add the gps antenna inside of the dash.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
I have a 2012 "economy" model Jetta. My bluetooth will connect with my Iphone. I know this because I use it quite a bit. On the other hand, it won't connect to my Ipod Touch. Very frustrating, and can't figure out why. I use the connector that fits in the glove box.

El Serch

TDI
Jetta 2003, 5 speeds, pass away, current Jetta 2011, Manual 6 Speed
I am having same issue with pairing my phone to the radio, I get this message every time I try to pair the phone.
"Cannot pair with VW PHONE, Please check the Bluetooth and try again"

Shaun Stanton

TDI
Polo
Hi
I hope you are well. I also bought a RCD310 for my 2014 Polo, but still battle to connect to the bluetooth. It shows the function on the radio but my phone doesnt pick it up. Im so fed up and dont know which way to go anymore. Im scared of buying a bluetooth module, install it, and still cant connect. Could you find any solution to this problem yet? I also do not have that module under the seat, just a small plug.
Thanks in advance

Last edited: