www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 8th, 2018, 20:10   #1
rocketboy52
Veteran Member

Default Transmission Fluid experience After 5 Speed Manual Swap

Im finally finishing the last nagging issues with my car since the transmission swap was complete a few months ago. When I put the transmission in, and FHN 5 speed from Frans, I filled her with Valvoline Syn Power Full Syntehic 75w-90 oil. The back said it was good for Gl4 and GL5, but the tranny always had the "notched" shifting feel, and when my wife drove it, she isn't a very patient driver and often get frustrated and slam the shifter into gear when the syncros wouldn't align.

After a few months of just putting up with it, I went and bought 3 qts of Pennnzoil Syncromesh and swaped out the fluid. The result was immediate and amazing! I know the purists will require OEM fluids, but there isn't anything close and convenient to us without ordering the fluids in the mail ahead of time. On top of being expensive, by the time you pay for shipping the OEM fluid is too expensive in my opinion.

I just wanted to let others know that Syncromesh swap made a huge difference in the feel of the shifts, even when cold, and only costs like $8 a qt at the local Auto-zone.

Cheers!
rocketboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2018, 07:34   #2
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Honda B and D series transmissions are known for 3rd gear grinds due to age and or abuse. They are rated for 30wt hd oil. Syncromesh is a common bandaid for the worn synchro.

Im not sure how it will hold up long term with bearings and soft metal wear but i do know it makes a grindy fwd honda tranny shift like butter.