VCDS/VAGCOM assistance in southern ontario??

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Is this the first 155km you've put on the car? You may want to run a full tank through it and hand calculate your mileage if so. Without venting that first half of the gauge can drop pretty quick from what I recall. I've never owned a VW with a perfect fuel gauge, it has always been dropped faster on the first or second half of the gauge for me.

i finished my first tank and i completed with 725k km so its not to bad actually it held at the the 1/2 tank mark for a bit...... it went from full to half at about 300km and then half to empty lasted another 425.

i looked up the venting method and i will be eliminating the valve that is there to prevent having to do this in future

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
i finished my first tank and i completed with 725k km so its not to bad actually it held at the the 1/2 tank mark for a bit...... it went from full to half at about 300km and then half to empty lasted another 425.
i looked up the venting method and i will be eliminating the valve that is there to prevent having to do this in future
725km used how much diesel in Liters?

per tank isnt a great measure of fuel economy...

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Our ALHs average 5.5l/100km and rarely go over 6 unless there's stuff on the roof, so 7.1 is not great.

You need to vent and top off the tank every time if you want accurate results.

Simon

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
If he was all city driving then 7.1 is not unheard of... i've seen old tdi's average 8 in heavy city traffic

that said 7.1 isn't great but we don't know the OPs driving style or the % city/highway so hard to gauge off the first tank to be honest

Give it some time, and if you keep getting this sort of mileage and you're not doing primarily city then i'd look into it some more

To be fair, I am driving a car with only 67,000 km, but I'm frankly past the stage of giving a damn trying to figure out every small thing that's wrong with my car... i've managed to diagnose a very strange transmission/powertrain noise and even filmed it. Dealer doesn't wanna replicate the noise that I replicated and VW headoffice is useless. If anything happens later down the road, VW can fix it then, I've done my part in being proactive and documenting. I know this is a different situation since we're talking about an old car, but if I were in the same spot, especially because it's an old car, I'd be happy if the car runs properly and isn't making strange noises.

Moral here is, drive more, worry less

Last edited:

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
i hear ya. ive cooled down on the worries

Ive just done the minimum i can and hoping for the best. i will drive for several more tanks to get a good feel of the car and what not.

I know there is something wrong in regards to the turbos veins or the actuator. as i still get a overboost code when i heavily accelerate on the highway over 120k km. once that is resolved i will lay back and just enjoy the car.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
also check to see if you MAF is operating properly. Another member here was having poor mileage and performance issues due to a bad MAF.