VW Nightmare resolution (good dealer story!)

J.R. Rogers

Many of you might recall my post about my first 500 miles in my problem plagued 2002 VW Golf Gl TDi. Here's the thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006655

Well, I'm happy to provide the following update:
After getting absolutely nowhere with VWoA customer service, I went back to the dealer and had a chat with the sales manager - very nice guy, very helpful. He knew about the problems I had with my new Golf because I had asked for help from the dealer once before early on in this ordeal. He had also been kept up to date by the service department. He personally took my case to the VW regional rep, and got VW to commit to giving me a $1500 trade assistance credit, to help with the exchange for a new vehicle of my choice!!!!

This $1500 basically took care of the depreciation of my car since it had been titled already, and the dealer had to take it back as a used vehicle even though it only had 600 miles on it. I was told that I could choose any other vehicle, and purchase the vehicle at invoice, and only pay the difference between the cost of my first car and the invoice price of the new one, plus TTL. (Having to pay the TTL again kind of sucked, but I feel it's a good investment when I think of not having to drive that "lemon" Golf I had before.)

I took my time and test drove a few cars including a fully loaded GTI 1.8T (whoa! Fast!) After agonizing over whether to spring for the loaded up leather clad "super-car-killer" GTI or stick with my roots (TDI), I decided that I had enjoyed the great fuel mileage and torquey little TDI engine too much to leave. I settled on a 2002 Golf GLS TDI w/ Luxury Package and the new Monsoon stereo system. While it was only a $1700 difference between that car and the loaded GTI, I liked having the 4-doors, as I've been driving a Jetta loaner car for nearly two weeks. New car is Indigo Blue with Beige interior. (I would have preferred black, but I hear the Black velour is a lint magnet.
)

I'm hoping and praying that my new Golf will be as trouble-free as my Beetle TDi was. I'm optimistic.

...But most of all, I'm really very happy that my dealer stepped up and went out of their way to make a customer happy. You hear so much bad stuff about VW dealers... mine has been nothing but helpful and courteous since the very beginning. They even swapped my 17" wheels and tires over from my old car to my new one for no charge! (I'll just take the alloys that came on my new Golf and sell them here or on Ebay or something.) I highly recommend dealing with The Volkswagen Store in Dallas, Texas:
www.centralvw.com

Aside from the helpful staff, their service department is "upgrade friendly". Most of the techs and some of the service advisors are "VW geeks" and members of local VW clubs. Thanks to my cool service advisor, I'm now a member of one, too!

Big thumbs up to The Volkswagen Store!!! A happy ending at last! (As long as this Golf is trouble-free. hehe!)

J.R.

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: J.R. Rogers ]</p>

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Send our regards to Jack Atkin at the Volkswagen Store, we bought our White NB TDI from him last month! We also had a great experience with them.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Nice!!! Sounds like a great place to deal with. Hopefully your new car wants to spend a little less time in the service dept!

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
You were told the black interior is a lint magnet. WHOA what an understatement. I had lint on mine after the test drive! Didn't stop me from buying the car though.

Great story and glad to see you kept with the TDI!

Tony B.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
You were told the black interior is a lint magnet. WHOA what an understatement. I had lint on mine after the test drive! Didn't stop me from buying the car though.

Great story and glad to see you kept with the TDI!

Tony B.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I like the wheels and I do not usually like big wheels. My 2001 Golf GLS is Indigo w/ black interior and it is a very nice color. Difficult to keep clean though. Have fun, I imagine you are going to be driving this car more than you expected as you will be enjoying it so much.

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Congratulations - a major victory for sure

Problem is, though, that the sales department had to come forward and fix a problem that should have been dealt with by the service department.

By telling us this, you've cemented what everyone has suspected all along! That the service and warranty arm of VWoA is the lowest of low in terms of customer service, and the sales department shines as brightly as they always have.

Thank you to Central VW sales, too.

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, TDI Wagon, in Silver Blue Metalic
A Great bit of news, and a good shot at a less troublesome car experience from Mr. Rogers neighborhood! "Everybody deserves a second chance" Good luck this time!

J.R. Rogers

Thought you might like to see pictures of my new ride....

Picture #1:
www.taylor-gallery.com/golf/nugolf1a.jpg

Picture #2:
www.taylor-gallery.com/golf/nugolf1b.jpg

I've never received so many compliments on a car in my life, and I've owned a bunch of nice looking cars. This one is a real attention-getter for some reason. Just driving from the dealership to the tint shop and then to work, people were talking to me at stoplights, checking out the car, the guy at the drive-thru window was chatting with me about the car, etc. Everyone at the dealership raved about the wheels, even the sales manager - and those guys usually aren't easily impressed. Came out from doing some Christmas shopping last night, and a couple of guys were walking by my car, they stopped for a minute looking it over and talking about it before proceeding on.

What do you think?

I really hope this one is reliable! So far so good. 70 miles and counting.

J.R.
2002 VW Golf GLS TDi Indigo Blue w/ 17" Mille Miglia A1 wheels, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Luxury Package, Monsoon System

Ron Raley

Veteran Member
You know, I've had problems with the service at my local VW dealer on really what were petty issues with my last VW(2000 Cabrio) and If it wern't for the sales manager who used to once be my salesman I probably wouldn't of had the issues cleared up, I've purchased 4 cars over the last 5 years from these guys and never had service issues before untill the 2000 cabrio, I made it very clear to these guys when I purchased my jetta TDI a few weeks ago that if I have ANY petty service Issues with this car It was going to be the last car I get there, I have been told that I have a particular service writer assigned to my car to avoid any future concerns and that they have a tech assigned to do the work on my car and that will be the only tech to do the work. Generally I find the sales dept will go to bat for you especially if you are a good customer.