Rockcrawler

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
The th350 doesn't use a lock up torque converter.A lock up One could be used but I would need to install a lock up wiring kit with it.

I might need a higher stall speed than 1800-2000 rpm.The listed stall speed is based on having a v8 engine behind it.A smaller engine will make the stall rpm even lower.

Some say that looking for an advertised 2300-2500 rpm would be better to shoot for.

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
The lock up kits are around $225
Also have to consider the fact that you will lose
25-40% of your HP with an auto...

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
The th350 eats up approximately 35 hp and my engine is making 170-180 hp.I will be adding some power to help offset the loss.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I might need a higher stall speed than 1800-2000 rpm.The listed stall speed is based on having a v8 engine behind it.A smaller engine will make the stall rpm even lower.
Ehhh, you're making like 150hp or more right? That's more than most factory applications for the TH350 behind 305s and ****. Besides, for the most part trans parts see torque load.

I like a real low stall speed on a diesel, lot of the draw on a diesel is the off-idle performance, get outta a pickup with a manual and hop into one with an auto and it feels like a turd because you've got to rev it to get it to even creep along.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Ehhh, you're making like 150hp or more right? That's more than most factory applications for the TH350 behind 305s and ****. Besides, for the most part trans parts see torque load.

I like a real low stall speed on a diesel, lot of the draw on a diesel is the off-idle performance, get outta a pickup with a manual and hop into one with an auto and it feels like a turd because you've got to rev it to get it to even creep along.

The key is that I need to make peak torque without fighting the converter too much.I'll be racing just as much as crawling this coming year and won't have time for loading the engine to make power.

I'd obviously love to get the stall speed correct the first time.I'm expecting to get it right the second time.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Some progress so far.The 5/8" engine to transmission adapter plate and the crankshaft to flex plate adapter are both complete.This combination uses a chev flex plate and starter.

The picture below is a mocked up assembly.

I will try a 4000 rpm 10" converter that my buddy has suggested.He figures that with my 1.9/gt2052w it might just be in the ball park of what I need and hopefully stall somewhere around 2500 rpm.

Last edited:

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Wouldn't you want it to stall just a tad above 2k? 2500 sounds like you'd be above peak torque.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
After learning more about stall speed I'm a little more inclined to raise the target rpm that I was originally aiming for.I'm also trusting that my buddy knows what is better for my application.

My original plan was to just get a 2100 rpm 12 " converter and he said that it would not perform well at all.He really pushed the idea of the 10" converter over the 12" to hopefully allow for enough slip.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Hi Andy. Nice to see this thread alive again. What sort of racing are you doing with the samurai now?
That engine/transmission set-up looks very familiar!:D I used the 1800 stall and it did not work out. I have second try to do next, and drop engine RPM. My idle is around 900 and I have tons of drag as soon as it goes in gear. Used a corvette 1-2 shift solenoid..super hard shift, that part I like. McNeil used a 10" 2400 or something like that on his jeep 4x4. He seems very happy with it. May be send him a PM.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Louis,here is a compilation video below that might better explain it.I'm at the -3:01 mark rolling over during the 2nd of the 3 stages :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/DebbieLynn.Harper/videos/10153084269314103/

I'll need to keep the rubber side down this year to be competitive.There is a new off road racing series this year having a hand full of events across the province.

I'm going to try this 10" 4000 rpm converter first.My engine will be mostly run between 2500-4500 rpm to keep the rev's/horsepower up so it will be interesting to see how this works out.

I'll keep the pictures coming as things start to come together.The transmission is out getting fully rebuilt at the moment.It will have a full manual valve body so I will be in charge of shifting.

slimbadboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta
I've a 10" b&m converter if needed.
Do you happen to be on THOR or jeepkings?
Where did you find the th350 to 1.9vw adapter?
You ever come west to Hamilton area?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
PM sent.The adapter plate is a homemade item,I'll take some pics when we have it back out.

I did briefly look into the adapter that this company makes,
http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapters/

We have shifted my engine back to the firewall 3 1/2" to help keep the buggy better balanced.Having a somewhat compact engine to transmission adapter also makes all the difference to the front and rear driveshaft lengths in my case.

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Slimbadboy-
that's what I have in my crawler with 4.7's in the rear case.
206:1 hardly ever use that,2nd gear low low is 136 and pretty
nice.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what I m currently running. Looking to switch up to auto now that I ll be upgrading to the TDI from the AZZ.
http://s245.photobucket.com/user/4wheelerkick/media/P1040457.jpg.html
Did you have any picture of what you did with the throttle peddle?
I'm guessing that you'll be looking into the Toyota auto ? I've looked into the Volvo aw71 auto and using a sidekick bell housing to adapt the aw71 to the acme adapter plate.

My AHU is running a mechanical injection pump similar to the AAZ.

Slimbadboy-
that's what I have in my crawler with 4.7's in the rear case.
206:1 hardly ever use that,2nd gear low low is 136 and pretty
nice.
I could have got away with using one 4.7 case for low range however the 1:1 in hi range might not be geared low enough.I might end up keeping my front case in 2.28 all the time and then use the rear 2.28 case to select between 1:1 and 2.28.

I did also upgrade to a 23 spline input on the rear case.

Last edited:

slimbadboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta
I find I almost never use low low. Timber 1 in Bobcaygen I used it in the rock garden.
Lingham hydro line I used it on the wall for effect lol. Once in Calabogie in the big rock pile for the competition at suzican. when I switch to the auto, I may just sell the duals and run one t case. I d like some extra length so I can get a decnt length driveshaft back. As it is, I replacing a center ball one a year in the double cardan joint.

Andy, I assume you are using the stock turbo on the AHU then?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't get to suzican but my buddys have been there many years ago.

Here is a picture taken tonight of the turbo system (got a little carried away with turbo to firewall clearance :eek:). The high pressure turbo is a gt2052w and the low pressure one is an hx30w.I'll keep boost below 35 psi and hope that the AHU rods can take it.There will be an air to air intercooler going in this time.I ran the gt2052 with no intercooler for a couple years and figure its about time to add one.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Back in my samurai days I adapted a Toyota T-case to an AW72 and used a Tracker bell housing to mount it to the 16v I had in the sammi. Never got around to installing it, it would have been a sweet setup.
I also used a Toyota 2wd auto behind a 1.6TD in my truck. I didn't like the shift points with the power band of the diesel. I was afraid it would downshift on me on the highway and over speed the engine.

slimbadboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta
I m looking at Andys pictures, and I m coveting the ORI`s...
We should try and meet up this year for a run in Lingham.
Provided I get this AHU to work properly.

Rockwell, what did you end up doing with that set up?

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Back in my samurai days I adapted a Toyota T-case to an AW72 and used a Tracker bell housing to mount it to the 16v I had in the sammi. Never got around to installing it, it would have been a sweet setup.
I also used a Toyota 2wd auto behind a 1.6TD in my truck. I didn't like the shift points with the power band of the diesel. I was afraid it would downshift on me on the highway and over speed the engine.
That's pretty neat,I'm sure I've seen your picture before when searching.My good used 10" torque coverter had to be cut apart and rebuilt and it will be modified to have the highest stall that he can make with it.Sure hope this all works out...

I m looking at Andys pictures, and I m coveting the ORI`s...
We should try and meet up this year for a run in Lingham.
Provided I get this AHU to work properly.

Rockwell, what did you end up doing with that set up?
I went to the ORI's last spring and now I've added nitrogen bump stops to the front end.

I'll possibly be up at Lingham this summer.It might work out that we are there at the same time.I usually just wing it for the season and end up here or there with no plans set in stone.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
The buggy has been holding up pretty well so far this season.I only had to replace the front axle housing,hx30 cartridge,rear axle shaft,coolant flange and some other small things.

The engine is pretty beat and has been overheated.It has much less compression and low oil pressure but keeps going.I'll possibly build an engine in the winter with some better rods and rings.

Here are some pictures that were taken by ehmedia.zenfolio.com

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Vids, need moar Vids !!!!!

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Figured I'd update this thread as I've converted from M-tdi to BHW power !!

I have also swapped out the Dana 44 axles for 1 ton chev axles (D60/14 bolt).Also I swaped out the 37" Maxxis treapador stickys For 40" trepador stickys.

My BHW has the ALH oil pump swap,Darkside race cam,valve springs and head studs.Cyl head has never been removed !! Turbo's are Gt2052w and Super hx30.

I had the privilege of having a somewhat local "TDtuning" dealer that made this whole project possible.Bruce AKA QuickTD and Mike @ TD tuning were a huge part of this build becoming reality

Bruce installed fiard 100% nozzles and they worked 100% as I expected.

The buggy is now used more as a rock race buggy than rock crawl buggy.

I left the factory 4:10 gears in both axles and welded both differentials

If not a face book user like myself then just click on the "Not Now" to view the video without signing in.

https://www.facebook.com/menardovideo/videos/2073943342926402/

The climb in the video above was a "bounty hill" that no other buggy had climbed before myself.Mostly V8 and bigger tired buggies did not make the climb with multiple attempts.I made it up first try.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, This BHW really puts the old M-tdi to shame.The m-tdi made an estimated 160 hp and this BHW makes an estimated 300 hp.

I've already broke the gears in my dana 300 transfer case and broke 35 spline shafts in the d60 with this power and traction.

The smaller 10" torque converter with higher stall is needed to spool up the turbo's however it does build alot more heat now due to the engine powering through the converter in higher gears.I now need a bigger transmission cooler.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The smaller 10" torque converter with higher stall is needed to spool up the turbo's however it does build alot more heat now due to the engine powering through the converter in higher gears.I now need a bigger transmission cooler.
2009ish passats got a huge plate heat exchanger trans cooler right behind the lf headlight, easy pickings at the junkyard. Hooks up to heater hoses or whatever.
Funny fittings on the trans oil side, but just cut the lines off flush with the bolt on o-ring sealed blocks and run a pipe tap into them.

not just 2009 of course, but that general body style

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
They buggy has survived another year.I had to replace the trans case and have the torque converter repaired from last season.The dana 300 was swapped out for a np205 and NWF blackbox titan.The whole powertrain was moved back 5" to let the front axle have more up travel.I replaced the old carter lift pump for a fass.

Here is a vid from this month to download

https://drive.mobisystems.com/sharelink/6aHvMWcokG5DkM5UzEtp6M7DKyzYHmyJSOQLVIYnwR5x

This run was with the transfer case in Low range (1.96:1) and the doubler in 1:1.Took off in first and shifted into second early on.

The engine needs more cooling so thats the next thing to work on.