www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 23rd, 2019, 20:30   #1
Carwayboi

Exclamation Dirty Fuel

Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie change his fuel and air filter today. I donít have the VCDS tool, so I decided to go the fuel in canister route. I bought a bit of fuel from my local Sunoco using a 32oz clear plastic bottle. There were bits of particle suspended in the fuel, but it quickly settled. I was astonished that so much dirt was in so little fuel. Is that normal? Where do all that crap go once pumped in our tanks. I took pictures, but couldnít figure out how to post pictures.
Carwayboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 05:40   #2
TLH_TDI
Veteran Member

Iíve never seen that much dirt before, you may want to notify them and purchase your fuel somewhere else.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
TLH_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 07:23   #3
Carwayboi

I plan on doing a random test of about 6 different stations using my clear bottle test. I will post the results here. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but will find out after my tests. Stay tuned.
Old November 24th, 2019, 08:00   #4
johnsTDI

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwayboi View Post
Thanks to everyone for helping a newbie change his fuel and air filter today. I don’t have the VCDS tool, so I decided to go the fuel in canister route. I bought a bit of fuel from my local Sunoco using a 32oz clear plastic bottle. There were bits of particle suspended in the fuel, but it quickly settled. I was astonished that so much dirt was in so little fuel. Is that normal? Where do all that crap go once pumped in our tanks. I took pictures, but couldn’t figure out how to post pictures.
so what vehicle is this again? & how well did it start?... start right away or did it take a few cranks?
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 08:14   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

200k miles of diesel fuel use, with sporadic clear bottle of fuel needed for FF changes.

NEVER saw visible contamination, occasional cloudiness. I would take the sample back and show it to them, although you'll get a blank stare from the clerk. If time permits, I'd contact the owner of the station.

I predict your 6 samples will be perfectly clear, and that your dirty sample was the exception. (although I'd not buy fuel from THAT station!)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 09:31   #6
Carwayboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsTDI View Post
so what vehicle is this again? & how well did it start?... start right away or did it take a few cranks?
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. It started right away, no issues. Not sure If\when the fuel filter was ever changed. I bought it VW certified with 38K miles. The only thing I had done was 2 oil changes, and it now has 66K miles. My fuel consumption was getting worse and I started to get the intermittent glow plugs flashing especially when I was low on fuel. If I restart the car, the flashing plugs would go away, but eventually return. The filter was quite dirty. The flashing glow plugs hasnít return, but it is still a bit early to declare victory. Fuel and air filters took less than 15 minutes to replace.
Old November 24th, 2019, 11:09   #7
johnsTDI

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

cool. cheers!
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 19:37   #8
A3Dave

TDI(s): Audi A3

You don't need to fill the canister by the way, cycle the key 2-3 times prior to startup and it will fire right up.
A3Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2019, 04:35   #9
Carwayboi

Picture of dirty fuel and filter.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads...C8685B6E6.jpeg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads...B4F804615.jpeg
Old November 25th, 2019, 12:04   #10
A3Dave

TDI(s): Audi A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwayboi View Post
Some things you should know is whatever dirt is in the canister does necessarily matter if it's larger particles like you've shown.

The fuel intake is from the center of the filter, up and out. So everything in the canister is filtered prior to going into the engine.

Regarding the pictures that's pretty bad, I'd def file some complaint.
A3Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 21:37   #11
Ooga

That is some nasty fuel for sure!
Ooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 07:08   #12
prsa01
Veteran Member

How sure are you that the bottle was totally clean before the fuel?