MAF and Relay 109?? Help?

patbeck

Hey Everyone...I am new to this forum. I am so glad there is a forum for TDI's. I have received some very good information from this site.

Ok, here's the scoop...I have a 1999.5 Jetta IV TDI. I have 150,000 miles on the car. I am experiencing the same issues with the MAF and Relay 109 problems listed all over this forum. My car stops for no reason and I have to turn the key until the glow plug light comes back on and the car starts fine. This is intermittent but it is a pain. I also have replaced the Turbocharger and all the glow plugs. I still have a performance issue when accelerating onto the highway and my mileage is suffering, very symptomatic of the MAF being faulty. I looked up the parts on vwparts.com and wondered about the MAF? The part is not listed for my year and model, but according to everyone on this site it could be part#074115562? Is that the correct part # for my Jetta?

I appreciate anyone's insight into my diagnosis.

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
Check your relay 109 - if it's the black case one, replace it and at least that part of your problems will go away. Replaced mine this week after it cut off twice in about 140 miles. Only $20 at your local stealer and less than 5 minutes to replace.

Why did you replace the turbo and glow plugs? Don't throw parts at this car - that's a loosing proposition. Have you checked your intake for clogging?

Patrick

patbeck

Thanks for the info Patrick. My name is also Patrick.

I replaced the Turbo charger because it went out about 125K miles. I know this to be true because it would totally slip out and the Check Engine came on and I could reset it and regain vacuum when I restarted the car. It was diagnosed by VW. This was do to using the wrong oil for a while (15W40 - Synthetic blend Valvoline). I now use 5W30 Rotella T Fully Synthetic and change it myself...I do not trust anyone else. It caused me to replace the dampner under the front of the car because my wife was taking the car to a Quick Lube place.

I also, do not believe in throwing parts at this car but I do not own a Vag-cam? How much are they and where can I get one.

Also, where is the Relay 109 located? Is it under the dash with a label on it?

Thanks

Patrick

[ August 29, 2002, 07:55: Message edited by: patbeck ]

GMCpatrick

Veteran Member
Originally posted by patbeck:

Also, where is the Relay 109 located? Is it under the dash with a label on it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In the Passat, it was above(actually on part of)the fuse block. Has "109" in big white digits if it's the black case variety.

Patrick

Groundhog1248

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue 2015 Golf TDI 6 Speed SEL
Vag-com

Also check your snow screen. Easy to do and it's a free. Definitley check you EGR and manifold for buildup. Mine was bad at 60k miles.

[ August 29, 2002, 09:27: Message edited by: Groundhog1248 ]