www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 14th, 2018, 09:48   #1
Convincent

Default Shudder @ 1750 RPM

I've got a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. And it has a strange shudder that you can feel in the steering wheel, and whole car really. It happens under very predictable and narrow range of conditions and I'm trying to figure out what system it is coming from... engine, suspension, turbo?

It generally occurs right around 1750-1850 RPM when slightly under load - such as going up a slight hill or accelerating on a flat. When it occurs one can feel it all over, its a pretty substantial shudder. When it happens I let off the gas and it immediately goes away (all within a second or so) then I continue driving.

Seems to happen more when the AC is on - possibly due to the extra load the AC puts on the engine.

My initial thought was that it was in the suspension, but the narrow RPM band and responsiveness to letting off the accelerator would suggest that it is in the engine.

Any ideas? What should I check?
Convincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:56   #2
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Auto or 5 speed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:59   #3
Convincent

Good question - Auto
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:57   #4
casey823
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg with auto jetta, 50+ with the golf

its definitely the transmission.
casey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:20   #5
Convincent

ok, how do I trouble shoot the trans? Is there some thing that I try replacing the fluid or changing some sensors, or just wait for it to get worse and replace it with a manual?

its been in it's current condition for a while and doesn't seem to be getting worse.
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:22   #6
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

In the dumb stuff category, check if one of the wheel weights has fallen off.
Then I would try to rule out the transmission.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 11:31   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convincent View Post
ok, how do I trouble shoot the trans? Is there some thing that I try replacing the fluid or changing some sensors, or just wait for it to get worse and replace it with a manual? its been in it's current condition for a while and doesn't seem to be getting worse.
Deep research, user CoolAirVW
might chime in, I've linked his website above.
User contributed search engine- VW TDI Search Engine

You may even want to try generic advanced searching, a lot of the stuff you'll find in the forum is iffy. Many don't post back solutions and some are just wrong.
As you get started, scan for stored codes and do a good visual on those suspension bits.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:50   #8
WildChild80
Veteran Member

A trans service wouldn't hurt, just use the proper fluid, replace the pan gasket and get your level right and it might be gtg

How many miles on the transmission?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 13:25   #9
Convincent

ok I'll start with checking the wheels, and suspension.

The car has about 260k on it, I'm not the first owner so can only assume that the trans has that many too.
Old August 14th, 2018, 14:08   #10
TurboModified

Fuel Economy: 46mpg Hwy, 42 mpg City.

I'm having a similar problem right around 1800 rpm and again at 3800 rpm. Doesn't shutter as bad as yours, but it's a vibration I can feel in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I have a 5spd manual tho. It started right after I had the passenger side cv axle (the longer one) replaced. Doesn't matter what speed or gear, just at those 2 rpms. It feels like the engine is bolted directly to the frame transmitting vibration to the car, but smoothes out under and over that rpm.
I think it's because I went with an Autozone axle instead of the OE style which is probably more balanced and dampens vibration better.
Have you checked your CV's?
2003 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd. Kerma Tune, OMI, DLC764's, 2.5" DP & exhaust, VR6 Clutch, Race pipe, mild porting, stock VNT 15 Turbo, Ecs suspension refresh kit w/ Audi TT bushings, Bilstein Shocks, Ventectomy, Long Beach wheels
TurboModified is offline   Reply With Quote