www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 14th, 2018, 05:09   #1
jbourke367

Default oil cap: vented or not?

Hi All,
I have a slow leak coming from my oil cap. Therefore, I will be replacing the oil cap. There are vented oil caps as well as non vented. Which one do I want? What is the advantage/disadvantage of each?
jbourke367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:18   #2
ktmkris

I have had 4 tdi’s and all of them have done that. Once I vented the crank case pressure hose to atmosphere “ccv mod” the oil leak at the caps stopped. Second side effect of venting ccv to atmosphere is no more oil in intake, intercooler or charge pipes.

Turbo cars have higher crank case pressure which is why these cars do that.

Last edited by ktmkris; August 14th, 2018 at 05:20.
ktmkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:23   #3
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

There is an oil cap seal that can wear out and cause this as well. Some people have double stacked seals, some have been fine just replacing the seal with a new one. I would try that first

When I did my last TB change, since my OEM valve cover was leaking and I didn't want to bother removing the gasket that welds itself in place, I just opted for this option from ECS tuning:

It comes with all the seals and as a bonus the actual valve cover seal can be replaced with ease so you don't need to source an entire cover again. The top is now leak free for me, which is nice. It's an option for you.
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote