Brake Pedal Monitoring fault on VCDS-Lite how to fix ?

edzha90

TDI
Hi there,

Car- left hand drive VW PASSAT B5, 1.9diesel, year 2000.

I had problem with right side brake light/bulb. I took out the bulb holder and cleaned the brake bulb socket, all lights were working but then suddenly after couple hours I had blinking yellow 'ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT' on my dashboard.

Then I connected my car with VCDS-lite and I had '00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring 27-00 - Implausible Signal' fault. I read it's something about brake light switch etc. but in my case when I took off the cables from both rear bulb holders after fault clean the fault didn't come back.. but once I re-connected again fault was back.

I did found out that if there is no bulb (if I took out) on my rear left side bulb holder then there is not working any lights in rear side at all, isn't that strange, or it's passat thing ?

I read about Bin.Bits so Here is pictures:
*When all lights are off. http://postimg.org/image/gikd3c8t7/
*This is picture when lights are on http://postimg.org/image/eo5ofzfnv/
*This is picture when lights are on and I hold brakes. View image: 20141018 180426

Are they okay ?

What could be the problem to having that fault ?

Btw. what all 3 temperatures mean ? I know the last is the engine temperature but what other 2 ? Also what do you think Mass Air / Rev. and duty cycle are okay ?

Regards

edzha90

TDI
So you are saying that I need to take off my bulb holder and check the bulb using my 12V battery + and - ? All bulbs are working.. I just have that fault on VCDS and blinking yellow symbol apart of that everything works.

I have 21W bulbs are they correct ?

How do I check if the ground is okay ?

Last edited:

edzha90

TDI
Okay I have checked and replaced some bulbs.

All rear bulbs are 12V 21W (single filament) apart from brake lights they are 12V 21/5W (twin filament)

Also all rear bulbs are working properly (if there is 21W bulb single filament in left side) but there is just that error in VCDS.

Once I take out the left side (brake light) bulb then the right side (brake light) goes off and all other bulbs are still working. Not to mention that if I have 12V 21/5W bulb installed on left side then the right side brake bulb doesn't work again but once I put 21W (single filament) bulb in the left both sides works without problem.

I just don't have a clue if that wire system is paired or something (as we don't know what previous owner done with the car). I even tried to switch bulb holders from one side to another, but it stays the same. It only works if there is 21W bulb.. or if there is 12V 21/5W bulb it works only in left side.. strange.

Yes all bulbs are at full brightness and they don't dim.

The next step what I will do I will test with multimeter also I will go to scarp yard and try other bulb holders to see if the bulb holder is faulty.

Last edited:

edzha90

TDI
okay, I replaced left side bulb holder and also the wire connector but it still the same. What should I do ?