Whats it worth. Mint 03 Jetta Wagon TDI w/ 185k and a 6 spd swap?

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Looking for input on what a mint condition silver 03 Jetta TDI wagon with 185,000 kms, a 6 spd swap, and a recently replaced timing belt would be worth. Option wise it has leather, heated seats, premium sound. Comes with brand new Blizzaks on factory alloys, and brand new LRR tires (Nokian Entyres I think) on 16" BBS Wolfsburg rims. Thoughts?

EDIT: I should mention it also just had a full tune up (all filters/oil), the intake system was cleaned (intake manifold, egr, intercooler, intake piping etc.) and an oil seperator/CCV filter thing installed. All work has been done by a former VW mechanic, and I can also purchase it with the following mods: NSP dual column pod w/ Autometer EGR/boost gages, Malone stage II w/Bozio 520 (something like that) injectors balanced/pop tested.)

Interested in what it's worth stock + 6 spd, and with all the mods. Current owner has all the additional mods purchased but not yet installed.

Last edited:

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Wow, those are rare to start with.
03' was the best year and it has the 6 speed.....
Over $10K
Low mileage and lots of goodies. Does it have the VR6 clutch ?
EDL/ASR ?
Condition of turbo?
I will be looking for one later this year if you don't buy it :)
Rust free with all mods could go for $12K

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
It doesnt need an upgraded clutch since it has the clutch that came with the 6 spd. It's a big upgrade from a factory clutch in itself, and probably handles more than the vr6 clutch. Regardless, the tune and injectors isn't installed yet, it would come with the car if I wanted it or the owner would sell it sperate. I believe it has ASR, turbo is shaftplay-free, and I don't know what EDL is, but it's a fully loaded 03 w/leather so I'm assuming it's got all the bells and whistles.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I believe it has ASR
Not sure ASR was available in '03, it was replaced by ESP - which is a rare option, even in otherwise well equipped TDIs. I wish our wagon had it, the sedan does.

A clean, low-km ALH wagon with a 6-speed sounds like a steal anywhere south of $10K, and could go for more.

Simon

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
8 or 9K is a steal IMO. You can't even find a 5 spd jetta wagon with less than 200k for that price, let alone one with a 2200-2500 dollar 6 speed swap.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
You looking to buy or sell?

I wouldn't pay full pop for mods and common maintenance items. It's getting harder and harder to find buyers with liquid money these days too.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
^^^ I agree too. Mods and maintnance stuff might help sell it faster but will rarely add to the price. You might be lucky and get $500 becauseof the 6-speed. Cars are the worst investement one can make, sinking more money in mods should be considered as the cost of going fater, nothing more.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
These cars are super rare to begin with. Adding a 6 speed makes it even more rare. I have the exact same car with about 100k klicks more and I would not consider selling for under $10k. I think that is a fair price considering the low mileage and the 6 speed. I would not hesitate to jump on it at that price.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
So is the car for sale?
Yes it is, a friend of mine is selling it. If I pass it up I'll post a kijiji link for you guys to fight over. He's asking north of 10k though. As of right now the car has the 6 spd, and and oil seperator (thats it for mods, everything else is new in box waiting to be installed), and has had the intake preventative maintenance stuff mentioned done. So if I can get the car for 11k it's a fairly good deal?

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If the extra mods are included, then yes, $11,000 is a good deal for that car. Not a great deal, but certainly well worth the asking price. It has low KM's and some great upgrades. And you know the history. That alone is worth a lot.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
If the extra mods are included, then yes, $11,000 is a good deal for that car. Not a great deal, but certainly well worth the asking price. It has low KM's and some great upgrades. And you know the history. That alone is worth a lot.
How about without the gages, the injectors, and the tune? I didn't really want/need those.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It depends on the model of gauges as Autometer sells a huge range. If its the Autometer Cobalt gauges (the blue ones that match the cluster), they are about $100-$200 each depending on where they were bought from and if they are mechanical or electric. The tune is worth $300. The mounted injectors another $350-$400. So I would say those 'extras' are worth about $1000 retail. For him to sell the stuff seperately, he may get $600-$700.

Here is a breakdown of what I would think the car is worth as it stands:

Car: $7,500 - $8,000 (this takes into consideration the mileage, options and recent timing belt)
Extra set of wheels: $700-$800
6 speed upgrade $2000 ($2500 if the clutch is new and not the used one supplied by the vendor)

Total value is between $10500 - $11,000.

This is an asking price I would be looking for if it were my car. Of course, sellers don't usually get asking. If you were to pay the lower end of that estimate ($10,500) without the extras, you will still be getting a good deal.

Last edited:

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Check ebay for completed sales of TDI wagons of that vintage. I saw one w/~90K miles on it go for $12K USD.

There are two 2003-ish TDI wagons in the forum FS site which are in the $9 - $10K range.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
These cars sell for a premium in the US because they are not as common as here in the GTA. You need to search local classifieds to get an accurate example of what these cars are worth.

I did a search on Kijiji and Autotrader.ca and the price ranges were between $4900 (high mileage / problematic auto) to $9000. But not many samples to get a really good average. I paid $10,500 for my wagon 3.5 years ago with similar mileage that this car has now. Factor in 3.5 years of depreciation and $8000 is where I would value this car without the current mods. Add the extra wheels and transmission and you go over the $10,000 mark. Don't forget, this car is closing in on 10 years old. Not many 10 year old cars sell for 5 figures.

As an example, this car would make a great donor car for a 6 speed swap:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Volkswagen-Jetta-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ339026472

Seller is asking $4900. Spend another $3000 and you have a 6 speed wagon for under $8000.

Bottom line for the original poster.....Anything between $10-$11k is a good deal for this car. You know the history, and all the hard work is done already.

Last edited: