www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 13th, 2018, 18:44   #1
homeworld8118

Default Exhaust Leak?

So I am new to the TDI world, had this car about a month now and have driven less than 2k. Has 175k on motor and well maintained. Went to leave work this morning and heard a ticking that on a gasser sounds like an exhaust leak. Got it home and up on ramps but canít pinpoint location or if it is certainly a exhaust leak.
While listening to the noise from under and in engine bay it changed pitch. Went from the normal exhaust leak tick to a more ďopen soundingĒ kinda tick, like larger volume of air. Car still drives and pulled fine.
While coasting down hill in gear and let the injectors cut out it is still audiable. It also changes with rpm on and off fuel. So I feel like itís exhaust by all symptoms,but this is my first TDI. And I assume if it is exhaust and it ticks that it would be pre-turbo?
https://youtu.be/Q7sdnR9GfBY
homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 19:51   #2
mrfiat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5 mpg (in town - trying to improve it)

It could be an exhaust leak. The flex exhaust pipe likes to have leaks, so check that. Check all joints on the exhaust system and check the exhaust pipes for pinhole leaks.

Also, I had a similar sound on my TDI and it ended up being a leaky injector. You can test for that by spraying soapy water around each injector and see if you get bubbles. I thought it was an exhaust leak for sure (sounded like an old air-cooled bug), but it was one of the injectors.
mrfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 20:38   #3
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Check your egr exhaust gaskets too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 20:39   #4
homeworld8118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfiat View Post
It could be an exhaust leak. The flex exhaust pipe likes to have leaks, so check that. Check all joints on the exhaust system and check the exhaust pipes for pinhole leaks.

Also, I had a similar sound on my TDI and it ended up being a leaky injector. You can test for that by spraying soapy water around each injector and see if you get bubbles. I thought it was an exhaust leak for sure (sounded like an old air-cooled bug), but it was one of the injectors.

Thanks for the advice! Iíll check it over when it cools. You didnít have a fuel leak with the injector issue?
Old August 13th, 2018, 21:00   #5
homeworld8118

Kind of unrelated but is this a normal noise during shutdown?

https://youtu.be/UQRmJrl-nuI
Old August 13th, 2018, 21:27   #6
WildChild80
Veteran Member

You've got a BEW... slightly different from an ALH with regards to an injector leak?

Old August 13th, 2018, 21:29   #7
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Pop the valve cover off and take a peek inside...look for symmetry on the cam lobes

Old August 13th, 2018, 21:37   #8
homeworld8118

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
You've got a BEW... slightly different from an ALH with regards to an injector leak?

Yea, I just realized I didnít have my year in my info. I just updated it.
Old August 13th, 2018, 21:39   #9
WildChild80
Veteran Member

These cars are really picky on the oil used...if it wasn't an oil on par or better than a 505.01 oil you may have a cam or injector lobe that is not getting it done

Old August 13th, 2018, 21:58   #10
homeworld8118

Yea, I have looked into that extensively. The guy I got it from said he took it to a TDI mech that used the right oil for a BEW. But that’s only his word so I can’t be certain.
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:20   #11
homeworld8118

Ha, so to add to the issue today. Started up this morning with same exhaust leak sound. Got to work and it was gone. I know that is normal of an exhaust leak with expansion of metal, but yesterday I was there even at opp temp.

Still does and always has made that noise at shut down. 1-2 seconds after shut down a knock sound and the unit on the intake buzzes. So is that normal?