1996 TDI Wagon 180037 miles-Chapel Hill, NC

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
SOLD :) What's wrong with it?
1. tapedeck is jammed and radio has a short that causes intermittent cutoff and static. Driver's side window disconnected, window motor works but regulator jams. AC was working after 2008 but needs fluid and some TLC.
Just added a new door and have installed two regulators over the past 18 years. Driver's side door lock sticks. It needs a driver's side CV joint cover. I have the part. One accident in 2008 so no airbags. Currently have the steering wheel top duct taped and have replaced the passenger side with a glovebox. I think a 93-94 Jetta steering wheel will fit. I do have used but unexploded airbags if anyone is brave enough to install them. I did have the frame and front bumper straightened and a new fender and hood painted in 2008 and added a new radiator and grille. ~$2500. Have replaced the water pump and timing belt last time in 2013 when the injection pump was resealed. VW replaced passenger side tie rod and aligned wheels. Full size spare. Michelins all have plenty of rubber left. Jim Bryant,Sanford replaced the motor mounts in 2010 and tuned it then. All the window work except the drivers side. I have extra parts: ie driver's side green door, some inside panels. See photos on the web site under Passat photos and some here. It runs and drives well. https://get.google.com/albumarchive...2_CjC4plKX32rYjRYQyMVL?authKey=CIjlwYT9loO_Uw
Currently registered in NC by original owner. I am 80 and a caregiver. Also more interested in longevity research now than working outside in this summers heat. I sold my 2014 Jetta TDI to VW and replaced it with a Honda CRV. My wife and her rollator can get into that. At this point she cannot get out of the Passat. $3500 or best offer with EBahn CD and misc parts included. Ran over a tree and racked up the steering gone for $350 but not forgotten. I am OK but the tree is dead. 20 years of driving enjoyment.

Last edited:

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
Might add Leith VW drained and refilled the brake cylinder and brake lines in Nov 2016 and new ceramic front brake pads were added ln November 2016 by Brown's auto Chapel Hill.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...2_CjC4plKX32rYjRYQyMVL?authKey=CIjlwYT9loO_Uw

photos of the car

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155244447@N08/shares/94S0Ms

My first TDI between 1 month with a 1963 Diesel Mercedes 180D picked up in Stuttgart for my brother at the end of a USAF tour and driven through Germany Switzerland and a small amt in East Germany and 7 years with a 89 Diesel Jetta also bought new then two Jetta TDI's 2010 and 2014 which served me well while I had them.

Last edited:

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
Just got the inside door panel off to fix the door lock and have taken out the old door handle. When the rain stops will put the new German handle on and graphite it all up.
I plan to readjust the window while it is all dissasembled and we have a few cool days.