Penzoil 5W50 Synthetic the right oil?

travispdx

My wife had the oil changed in the car yesterday, and I had told her to make sure to have them use synthetic. I looked at the receipt this morning and they used Penzoil Synthetic 5W50 oil for my 2003 Jetti TDI Wagon. Is this the correct oil?
Thanks - Travis

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
travis, does it meet the criteria spelled out in your owner's manual?

travispdx

That is the problem - I am away from my manual (it's at home) - but I can't imagine that it does. I have never seen or used 5w50 oil.... Maybe I was just reading it wrong...

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
It is only rated API CF. It is not rated VW505 or ACEA B3/B4. This is not a very good oil for TDi's.

Probably be a good idea to change it to one of the recommended oils.

travispdx

Autodiesel - where did you find the penzoil ratings? I would like to print them out and take it back to the dealer and make him change the oil.
The jetta is leased....so I really don't want to be responsible for any damage.
Thanks - Travis

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
pdf link to 5W 50 << not an approriate product for a TDI

European Formulation << potentially appropriate product for TDI

Travis, I bet if you go back and get them to drain the 5W50 they will replace it with the Euro Formulation...no questions asked.

ps. don't blame your wife.

travispdx

Thanks guys. I printed out the info and will give the guys a call tonight and take the car back tomorrow - I am sure they will just be thrilled to have to fix it...
THanks guys..I really really appreciate it.
Travis

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
It is only rated API CF. It is not rated VW505 or ACEA B3/B4. This is not a very good oil for TDi's.
It is also the wrong viscosity (should be 5W-40 or 5W-30 -- if the latter, probably a thick 5W-30 like Castrol Elixion).

If it was a VW dealer, shouldn't they have used Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in a TDI engine unless requested otherwise?

Deception

Veteran Member
It is also the wrong viscosity (should be 5W-40 or 5W-30 -- if the latter, probably a thick 5W-30 like Castrol Elixion).

If it was a VW dealer, shouldn't they have used Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in a TDI engine unless requested otherwise?
Running a 5W50 viscosity oil in your TDI is fine.

travispdx

If that is true should I even stress about it then if I am going to have it changed again in 4k miles?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
If that is true should I even stress about it then if I am going to have it changed again in 4k miles?
Yes you should worry about it and yes you should make them change it immediately. Why? Because VW says to use a minimum rating API CF-4 oil. Pennzoil is API CF. VW says to use a minimum ACEA B3 oil. Pennzoil doesn't even have an ACEA rating.

davran

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
Pennzoil has a Synthetic 5W-40 that's fully VW 505 rated. I found it at my local Jiffylube, and was told all of them have it. The can has a yellow star on it saying "European Formula".

This Pennzoil 5-40 looks to be a correct oil for our TDIs.