Rear Defrost STILL Not working 06 Jetta

Naftaman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6sp
Hey there all need some help, the fuse was burnt out, so I changed it, the indication light comes on, but the frost doesnt go away. Any other clues as to where I might look. Worst case scenario what I might be up against, I will surely need my defrost as here in Canada,winter is coming anyday now.

thanks

Last edited:

Naftaman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6sp
Can Anybody help Rear Defrost Problem

Naftaman said:
Hey there all need some help, the fuse was burnt out, so I changed it, the indication light comes on, but the frost doesnt go away. Any other clues as to where I might look. Worst case scenario what I might be up against, I will surely need my defrost as here in Canada,winter is coming anyday now.

thanks
Hello still waiting for some help on this, I think it might be the unit that controls the heat, the heated seats and the air. I was told by the dealer that this unit costs like 300$ Just the part, I would like to see pictures of removing the unit if any one has done this so I can test it.

Thanks

Naftaman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6sp
Yes it would still light up. Sorry but I havent been on here for sometime, as it seems no one was interested in my problem.

thanks

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Naftaman said:
Hello still waiting for some help on this, I think it might be the unit that controls the heat, the heated seats and the air. I was told by the dealer that this unit costs like 300$ Just the part, I would like to see pictures of removing the unit if any one has done this so I can test it.

Thanks
Just checked ebahn. There is a TSB for the RWD check power to supply relay J9, continuity through J9 when relay contacts closed and the cicuit between J9 and the RWD. If no short or open is found replace the 25 amp fuse with a 30.

artificer

TDI
2006 Jetta 5spd
icecap said:
Just checked ebahn. There is a TSB for the RWD check power to supply relay J9, continuity through J9 when relay contacts closed and the cicuit between J9 and the RWD. If no short or open is found replace the 25 amp fuse with a 30.
Any way to post the TSB? I have the same problem. Really nasty burnt fuse with melted plastic, and no RWD.

Thanks

Michael

fwthompson

TDI
06 jetta tdi brm 5 spd 220k (sold) , 05.5 jetta tdi brm dsg 134k (SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI BRM dsg mkv white. 224k. 2011 jetta cja dsg Silver. 155k
2006 jetta tdi brm

Did you ever figure out why your rear defroster was not working? Im having issues with mine. I have checked fuses and relays with no luck. Mine turns on then shuts right back off a sec later. Thanks

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
If things are already burnt, putting in a high rated fuse seems like a very bad idea. There must be more info available. Checking the resistance of the rwd and comparing it to one that works will start you to being able to eliminate possible problems. There are a couple of other threads dealing with this, take a look, they may be helpful. If your fusebox is burnt, and the fuse does not blow, the line side is suspect, and I would be looking for a bad connection on that side of the circuit.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
And Naftaman, since you are lucky enough to be in Southern Ontario, the regional site is full of info, and much help is available locally. Try posting there, someone locally may have already dealt with this, or have futher insight.

fwthompson

TDI
06 jetta tdi brm 5 spd 220k (sold) , 05.5 jetta tdi brm dsg 134k (SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI BRM dsg mkv white. 224k. 2011 jetta cja dsg Silver. 155k
So i bought a main switch unit for the rear defroster off ebay for $49 from a wrecked jetta. The dealer suggested buying one from them last time i was in there for a recall, whiched was priced at $250. It did not solve my issue. Hmmm imagine that... So now i was real irritated. I got on vcds and started looking around and there was a code for a convertible top issue, but i have a solid roof??? Weird. Anyways i changed the coding for the top to not be there and what do you know. PROBLEM SOLVED..... I almost tore the ceiling off to check the wiring. That vcds cable just paid for itself for like the 10th time now. I think when you pull the battery in these cars weird stuff gets scrambled. Thanks for the help guys......