April 26th GTG in Minneapolis

jobob307

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta, 2002 jolf
Troy is in Menomonie and he has lots and lots of New Glarus. In fact he is down here training Thursday and Friday. Did I say training? I ment getting paid to drink beer and eat pizza. I'm in the wrong business!

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
I can provide some new glarus as well. I live in Hudson now and have access to lots of wisconsin beer. Any requests?

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Thanks for the info

Jason;

Thanks for the information - If I decide to come I will make sure I come first thing as opposed to last - and yes I will be more than willing to pay for a diagnosis by you - I trust your opinion more than I trust their fixes.

Feel free to PM me with your rate structure.

Unless it's also the passenger side joint, I'm going to make them do it as they already just did it and it's under the repair warranty. I'm also open to any ideas on what the issue might be.

Given my current situation - this car has to last another 5 years minimum and more likely another 10. Given that it's a TDI - it will. I had a 1988 gas Jetta last 14 years under my dad's and my care and it's still going thanks to care by the US Army.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
I have edited the opening post to reflect my changes. Take note and drive careful in the AM. A small chance of snow predicted Friday Night . . .

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I will bring some potado salad.

As far as work I need done, DRL disable, Remote windows, single push lock unlock all doors. (I believe GreenGeeker was going to help me out?)

Does anyone have the DSG service tool? I'm about 5k away from 40K. Otherwise I plan to buy it, and I plan to use my scanguage for the trans temp, unless we have another GTG closer to when I need it done.

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
35W closing to remove 46th st bridge

info from MN road conditions
Roadwork - Interstate 35W
Interstate 35W in both directions: from Exit 11B - Crosstown Highway to Exit 16A - I-94 West
road construction, road closed -- follow the detour signs — starting 10:00 PM, 04/25/08 until Monday, at about 5:00 AM
last updated today at 8:46 AM
Be sure to check your routes for the GTG
W4M

http://www.511mn.org/Default.asp?display=construction&area=TC_Metro&textOnly=False

Last edited:

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Suggestions

waitin4mine said:
Interstate 35W in both directions: from Exit 11B - Crosstown Highway to Exit 16A - I-94 West
road construction, road closed -- follow the detour signs — starting 10:00 PM, 04/25/08 until Monday, at about 5:00 AM
l
Be sure to check your routes for the GTG
W4M
Whoa!, seems excessive to close six miles of freeway for one bridge demo.

From the south: take Portland exit off CR 62, take park ave (two blocks to the east) from 46th street north to 35th (oneway) three blocks to 5th avenue.

From the North: take Portland Ave out of DT Mpls. to 35th street.
From west: Take Lyndale to 36th street.
From the east: exit Downtown (5th street) and take Portland south . . .

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
The I-35 closure may be off for this weekend due to the weather, from what I have heard. I will be at work on the I-35 bridge, so will not be able to attend. Have a great GTC! Will try to make the next one. Mike B.

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
Well, reality has stepped in and I need to work tonight. So I am not going to be able to come tomorrow. Enjoy the GTG I will try to make the next one.
W4M

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The weather is preventing me from riding so I'm not coming.

The DSG can be filled from the top, although it takes a LONG time. Like 1 1/2 hours.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
motor suport

there is a cherry picker type engine lift in the garage we may be able to borrow . . .

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
have not forgotten - running a bit late

Should be there around 2:30 to say hi - will bring some drinks.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Running a bit late myself, will be down a little later. Time just opened up for this.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
QtmMech, thanks for hosting the GTG, It was a great time. Luckly there was so much room, it sure helped when it was cold outside.

greengeeker, thanks for the softmods

I hope to see all you you at the next GTG :)

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
MPLSTDI said:
QtmMech, thanks for hosting the GTG, It was a great time.
+1! It was great to meet so many of the people whose posts I've been reading and I have to say I learned a lot about applying a wrench to my own car. Hope to see you again at the next GTG.

EDIT: I also should thank everyone --very much -- for all the help. All the folks who loaned me tools, pieces-parts, advice, and even a hand; I could not have done so much without you. Special thanks to Alex (Losha) for loaning me tools, to Brad for help in repairing the wire I inadvertantly cut, and to Chris for resetting the CEL that IS STILL OFF. :)

I am hopeful that next time I can bring a little more to the party than just work.

Last edited:

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
GTG Photos

I had a great time hosting this GTG. It was good we had enough room inside for those wanting to do work. And I want to thank GreenGeeker for reassuring this hypochondriac about my suspension and motor non-issues.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamesefarrell/April26thGTG

And for those interested in the history of the PBB:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamesefarrell/WernigBakingCo

Let me know if there is any reason to import these photos to Fred's site. They are also publically downloadable, so feel free to use these photos yourself for non- commercial purposes . . .

Jim

PS: thanks for leaving some beer for me to bring along to the Future Pasture show upstairs later that evening!

http://www.anticivrecords.com/space.html

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
fun to meet a few new people and hang out. had i not had other stuff i had to get done that day, i would have liked to have stayed longer. oh well. thanks ajmilla for the alh compressor exit hose.. i guess i'm gonna get a 17/22 now :eek: haven't decided for sure, but might install it in the next couple weeks - i might need a helping hand if anyone is willing. gotta clean the intake too at the same time (egr has been since blocked).

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Had a great time at the GTG thanks QtmMech for setting it up. I just have to be patient now for the next 500 miles so that I can break in the clutch. This new one is a lot shorter than the old one, and it's shorter in the top side so i don't know if that can be adjusted by anyone. Can't wait to stomp on the diesel. Thanks again Losha.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Just wanted to add my thanks to QtmMech for setting up this GTG and providing a garage to hold it. As Steve-O stated above, it was nice to meet the folks who came and put faces to names.

Also thanks to GreenGeeker for bringing his VagCom and resetting my idle IQ. The shaking I was experiencing at idle, since installing the PP520's, is now gone !!

Looking forward to the next GTG.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
flannel shirt

No, this is not another off topic like tadpole ponds: Someone left a flannel shirt at the PBB. PM me if it is yours,

Jim

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
not so much angry... but very confused as to what was going on and why simply towing my car to the shop turned into a 3-4 hr ordeal :confused: lol...

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all very much

To VikingRob and everyone else - thank you so much for taking time out of what you were doing and helping me diagnose my wheel problem. The car is still ok, and it was nice to meet you all.

Kim was very impressed with you all - said the people there were very nice - told her that was why I liked this group - people helping others. Someday I hope to help someone else out.

I think the car will make it back - and also - it may be under warranty. I almost forgot that due to the accident - anything they replaced at the time is under permanent warranty as long as it's not a wear item ( as far as I'm concerned - sealed bearings are NOT a wear item ).

So again, thank you all for the help. VW owners are the niceest people I know and I hope I go to the fest and see some of you there.