April 26th GTG in Minneapolis

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
26th

I hope to make it. I'm due for a brake fluild flush - first time for that so I won't know what I'm doing... but I have to have the car to actually do that and the wife may be up north with it.

I maybe able to dig up some surplus goods to bring. :D

- socks

Last edited:

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Losha said:
Hopefully I get some body work done my car by GTG so it doesn't look to multi colored anymore.
I like the multi clor look: we can always see you coming! I look forward to seeing you again next week, Alex.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
"banging them out" isn't a good thing. Speed in dealers is the major reason for the bad reps they carry. Sorry. If you're not in a hurry let the pan drain. Jack carefully so there isn't crushed in rails...that NEVER happens....

merkerguitars said:
I'll be theres most likely, I can bang out a TDI Oil change with tire rotate in about 10 minutes. And if people need help with brakes I can help bang out stuff quick.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
jasonTDI said:
"banging them out" isn't a good thing. Speed in dealers is the major reason for the bad reps they carry. Sorry. If you're not in a hurry let the pan drain. Jack carefully so there isn't crushed in rails...that NEVER happens....
Amen, I totaly agree with you on quick oil change thing. It usually takes me about hour on oil change. I try to drain every drop of old oil out & fill with fresh oil thats way I always end up putting more oil in then dealer.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Sorry, I do make sure they are done right, only the good techs do things fast. Every time a new tech tries to do an oil change fast its a guaranteed comeback.

Plus the lifts are work slide under the car, so there is no chance of bending/mashing the pinch welds.

Last edited:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Have a question for you guys and gals on this

How late do you all plan on going? I will be in the area that day visiting a friend but will be free around 5 PM on - wasn't sure if this was a day thing, a day/night thing or whatever.

Reason I'm asking - one, I always love to get together with other TDI'ers and two - my car is making a mysterious grinding noise driving along - the dealership claims nothing is wrong ( yeah - we all know how THAT goes ) but I got a feeling something isn't right - it started after I got new tires - H rated instead of T rating - if this is a known issue feel free to PM me.

I will be in the area from about 11 PM on Fri to 5 PM on Sun - leave me a PM at this site if you want to get ahold of me - looking forward to meeting others.

If the car doesn't make it - will let you all know also.

I realize that probably I'm way too late to have anything done about it unless friend really wants to go ( up to them ), but at knowing what the issue is would help me out with dealer since I think they messed it up - one other thing - they fixed the driver side ball joint claiming it was loose and now it makes the noise - almost forgot about that.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
He hopes to close out the GTG by 7:00 pm. Shouldn't take long to diagnose a faulty ball joint so you should be fine.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
sevenish

Curious Chris said:
He hopes to close out the GTG by 7:00 pm. Shouldn't take long to diagnose a faulty ball joint so you should be fine.
Yeah, 7 o'clock was my original end time. Now that my GF let me know that the International film fest is on this week, I might squeeze it back to 6:30, if there is a 7:00 film we want to see. No stopping you guys on the parking slab from finishing up, but would have to have the ones out of the garage . . . If something is really not moving at that time, I'll just have to suck it up, but watch out if Amy starts to pout! (She is planning on coming by after work)

Again, this is half hour avail is dependent on our mutual perusal of the fest schedule. Will let you know as soon as I do.

Jim

jasonTDI

TDI
no knock against you, just an observation.

merkerguitars said:
Sorry, I do make sure they are done right, only the good techs do things fast. Every time a new tech tries to do an oil change fast its a guaranteed comeback.

Plus the lifts are work slide under the car, so there is no chance of bending/mashing the pinch welds.

Russell G.

TDI
2001 Jetta
Scenic Route

QtmMech said:
I don't know if you are anywhere near Hwy 14, but that is a lovely route up here on a bike. Plus WI 35 along the river is pretty stunning . . .

It will be good to see you here regardless of what vehicle you take.
Highway 61 up thru Winona along the river is very nice this time of the year. When I worked out of the Fox-Meyer DC in LaCrosse, WI (French Island) I made that trip a lot-----really scenic from Wabasha up thru Red Wing. Happy Motoring.

jasonTDI

TDI
Thanks for the tips. I want to stay off the super slab for sure! Granted you make good time but too many bad drivers....

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonTDI said:
Hey Jason, ever tought about become like Aligator or Rocketchip tuner? you should talk to Charlie if he could hook you up with Q-loader or Jeff with rocketchip tunning so you can tune TDI's here in our region.;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Losha said:
Hey Jason, ever tought about become like Aligator or Rocketchip tuner? you should talk to Charlie if he could hook you up with Q-loader or Jeff with rocketchip tunning so you can tune TDI's here in our region.;)
Oh sure, he's only working 27 hours a day, 9 days a week. He has lots of free time that he could use tuning TDIs.:rolleyes:

jasonTDI

TDI
Exactly.

TR has it right on the money.

Jeff is a one man show. Aligator...well...Lets just leave it at that.

jobob307

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta, 2002 jolf
TornadoRed said:
Oh sure, he's only working 27 hours a day, 9 days a week. He has lots of free time that he could use tuning TDIs.:rolleyes:
I seen him have a Sunday once:eek: can the rest of you imagine having a Sunday off? J you going to this one? What are you taking? The GS Maybe I should delay my trip Wed. go to Des Moines instead then do the GTG and Menomonie on Sat:rolleyes:

Minnesota Mike

TDI
2002 Jetta 263,000.
I will be there. I also need to do a brake fluid flush for the first time. Will I have to get VW brake fluid at the dealer? And how much will I need? I really need to figure out why sometimes like while on freeway, car just loses power and I have to shut it off and restart it, then it's ok. Tried several things, but nothing seems to totally fix it. Sometimes I get an overboost code too. Hopefully all that TDI brain power can figure it out. I'll have the wife make some goodies too.

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Minnesota Mike said:
I will be there. I also need to do a brake fluid flush for the first time. Will I have to get VW brake fluid at the dealer? And how much will I need? I really need to figure out why sometimes like while on freeway, car just loses power and I have to shut it off and restart it, then it's ok. Tried several things, but nothing seems to totally fix it. Sometimes I get an overboost code too. Hopefully all that TDI brain power can figure it out. I'll have the wife make some goodies too.
Sounds like you have a boost leak in a vacuum/boost hose. Have you changed them out?

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
vacuum leak

bayshorecs said:
Sounds like you have a boost leak in a vacuum/boost hose. Have you changed them out?
I wonder if we can check my vacuum at the GTG. I hear an air rush when I apply the brakes, the vent controls do not switch off the dash board vents when switched to foot only. And are my brakes a little soft? I can get used to just about anything if the changes are gradual enough . . .

I also might be a diesel ignorant hypochondriac!

Jim

jasonTDI

TDI
stuck actuator and or plugged intake. Get any DOT4 fluid.

Minnesota Mike said:

jasonTDI

TDI
no. Cracks in the "j" pipe from the vacuum pump to the brake booster move around as the motor moves sometimes causing a drop in vacuum and the noise/crap performance.

Jobob. I'm THINKING about taking the GS. The new seat works f'ing WONDERS!!! I can ride for 4-5 hours without issue. 3K miles already in the past 5 weeks. This trip will finish off the the Tourances:mad: and I can get the new Michelin $$ Anakees on! :D

Minnesota Mike said:
No, I haven't. If it was a boost leak, wouldn't it do it all the time?

jasonTDI

TDI
Oh, HAVE to get the HID lights on and the new windscreen first.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
jasonTDI said:
Oh, HAVE to get the HID lights on and the new windscreen first.
Hey Jason, how are you planning to bring your tool box with you on bike? or you will have them shipped to QtmMech via UPS and back?:D

th@nks

TDI
2002 golf GLS TDI
I'm now unable to make it to the GTG. Not that any of you have met me, but that also means the TIG welder won't be there.

Sorry if any of you were counting on this. If you were, Please PM and we'll set up a time to do the job you had in mind.