2004 Jetta 5spd 235k - NorCal - minor body damage $3k?

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
2004 Jetta 5spd 257k - NorCal - mechanically sound - $2500

[UPDATE 3/6/2018!!!]
Digging up this old post because I got this car back and considered putting it on the race track, but have decided against it. It's a little too nice to become a track beater. So I will be driving it for awhile and then eventually selling it.
I am currently repairing rear axle bushings, new springs and shocks, new front control arms and some other suspension bits, AC compressor, dash light bulbs, and some other small stuff (oil and man transmission fluid, etc).
It had a new camshaft at 140k (I will inspect soon to make sure it's still perfect), clutch at 155k, timing belt at 200k, water pump at 250k, MAF and air filter at 255k.
Runs and drives perfect. Smog done. Tires excellent (Bridgestone Ecopia 90% tread remaining). It's run on Propel HPR almost exclusively for the last 80k miles, B20 and premium D2 before that. Some body damage from a tree branch that fell on it.
Will soon be registered in my name, so I might not have the title until end of the month (March 2018). Not in a hurry to sell. $2500 obo.

Last edited:

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, well maintained, BRAND NEW TURBO!

Last edited:

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Scars add character. Pretty cool to have survived a tree falling on it!

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Sounds like they lost interest in selling it, going to hang on to it as their second car.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
UPTDATE! I now have the car (3/6/18) and am fixing it up to sell. PM me if you're interested. Should be available by the end of March.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Suspension work done (new Bilstein TC sports and lowering springs), new front brake rotors, will do fluids this weekend, and replace dogbone and TB area upper engine mount as well. Haven't decided whether to replace the AC compressor or not.

I'll be ready to sell maybe next week (early April). I'd like to get something close to $2500. PM or reply here if interested in it.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
New AC compressor installed and air conditioning is nice and cold. For sale now $3000 OBO. Sitting at 258,800 miles right now.

Full maintenance history is available. Here are the highlights:
Recent work (within last 500 miles) = replaced AC compressor and recharged system, replaced several suspension components including new Bilstein shocks all around and sporty 3/4" lowering springs, alignment, front brake rotors, brake fluid flush, dogbone motor mount, thermostat and coolant temp sensor, serpentine belt, transmission oil and engine oil and filter, cabin air filter

Within last 10,000 miles = tires (Bridgestone Ecopia) only have 7000 miles, MAF sensor and engine air filter, fuel filter, replaced water pump and flushed coolant

~240,000 = rear brake rotors and pads

~230,000 = brand new turbo and exhaust manifold and oil feed lines

~200,000 = timing belt and water pump replaced, coolant flushed

~150,000 = new performance (VR6) clutch and single mass flywheel

~144,000 = new camshaft with bearings and lifters (to correct design flaw from factory)

Brake fluid always replaced every ~2 years, transmission oil every ~50k miles, power steering fluid every ~50k miles, coolant every ~100k miles. Only ever used the highest quality full synthetic motor oils and good quality filters.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
Bump.

I'm not getting much interest on this car. Too many miles I guess? I'll probably just keep it as my beater car. Maybe next year I can put it on the track in 24 Hours of Lemons or Champcar.