Will A Full Size Tire Fit in a (A3) Spare Tire Well?

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
(Jetta)

[This message has been edited by Ric Woodruff (edited September 01, 1999).]

Paul

Veteran Member
There is not enough room for a full size spare in the A3 Jetta with the 195/14 mags ( or larger if you have nicer wheels). The wheel depth protrudes above the floor of the trunk. I believe that the older Rabbits & Jettas with the skinnier tire/wheel combos fit ok.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
especially if you switch to 13" rims and get them as narrow as you can

[This message has been edited by GeWilli (edited September 03, 1999).]

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Nope, still won't fit, especially with those Roadmaster tires. I mean, after the car spins wildly and crashes ass-first, the spare tire well will be too small to fit even a tire off a 1/24 scale plastic model.

S

SkyPup

First measure the full size tire, then measure the A3 spare tire well, compare these two measurements closely. If for some reason you can subtract one from the other and get a positive or negative number, then there is a possibility that they do not match, ie it won't work.
However, if you cannot subtract one from the other and get more or less than Zero, then take the full size spare and place it in the spare tire well.
When it fits in nicely, post the results here. BTW, didn't your A3 come with a full sized spare to begin with?

My NB and Jetta both have FULL sized spares, another reason why I purchased a VW instead of an oriental import or American domestic, they almost all have these pathetically useless skelton spares in the trunk. Those skelton spares sure work good, until you need them, then they suck. The full sized VW spares work great as long as they have air in them.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Skypup, we posted at almost the same time.

The A3 used the space-saver tire, though while crawling under the back of the car, it looks like there is enough room to fit a full size spare tire well in there.