VW Fog Retro using Toggle Switch vs Light Switch

stp1971

TDI
Passat
I am looking to run a toggle switch versus using the factory headlight switch. I have purchased the VW retrofit kit with the wiring harness. I have a 2012 Passat SE. On the VW retrofit kits harness I assume the red wire runs the power for the lamps. The green/yellow is the trigger wire.
The black and white that plugs into the BCM is my question. What do those wires do? If I do not plug that into the BCM should I connect the two black/white leads together and will that basically eliminate the headlights high beam fog off function?
I have a single pole single throw toggle. Power in. Power out. Ground.
Is there someone who knows if the white/blacks could be used with the toggle. Tape them off. Or just connect them together?
Wiring diagram in simple man terms would be awesome!! I have a nice clean toggle with red LED light that I plan on using that I think will tie in nicely with the dash.
Once done I'll post pics of the install if someone can help me with the wiring layout.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I went a different direction on this. I went wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Performance-Lighting-PL-HARN7A-HARNESS/dp/B000HTYM6C

Works fine. Took @ 15 mins to install. I mounted the remote near the normal headlight switch with a heavy duty hook & loop strip. Mounted the relay control unit near the battery with another heavy duty hook & loop strip. 20k miles and no issues.

The only hard part about the entire retrofit process was getting the small grille parts out to swap in the lights. A little TLC and they came out unbroken.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Why? Btw I think it's more complicated then just adding a toggle switch with the auto lights than you think. Prolly be better off with VCDS and a euro switch .

Last edited:

stp1971

TDI
Passat
Well I was wanting run it separate of the headlight circuit to prevent a lamp out issue and to allow me to run the fogs anytime I want. Just want it on a circuit that goes off with the key in the off position.

Worst case scenario I run all new wires and take the pigtails for the fogs off. But was hoping someone might know what the VW retro kit wiring schematics were.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The wires that plug into the BCM are hooked into the high beam wire, they are used to turn off the fog lights when the high beam is on.

The body control module in cars not originally equipped with fog lights does not have the output drivers for foglights :)

Why drill a hole in the dash when the factory switch works great?

-J

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Soft has it right, why not tap bcm and use euro switch. No bulb errors. If you insist otherwise, Break out a 9 volt battery and get to testing. A simple volt meter is your friend.

stp1971

TDI
Passat
So can you use the factory Euro switch and not hook it into the BCM? Will thy allow me to run the fogs with the high beams on as well? Maybe connect the two leads together and bypass the BCM?

IRISHpride

TDI
2015 Golf
The wires that plug into the BCM are hooked into the high beam wire, they are used to turn off the fog lights when the high beam is on.

The body control module in cars not originally equipped with fog lights does not have the output drivers for foglights :)

Why drill a hole in the dash when the factory switch works great?

-J
very true, but if you swapped BCMs then you could code it to run fogs with high beams on..:D

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
very true, but if you swapped BCMs then you could code it to run fogs with high beams on..:D
Since the fog light retrofit taps into the BCM for high beam cutout, are we sure the mid-level BCM can't be coded to eliminate that function?

Maybe Vw programmed all BCM's to have the high beam cut out because they knew they were going to release a fog light retrofit...

If the OP could flip through the long coding helper and see if there is a box for "fogs off with high beam activated" maybe he could just uncheck that bit?

IRISHpride

TDI
2015 Golf
Since the fog light retrofit taps into the BCM for high beam cutout, are we sure the mid-level BCM can't be coded to eliminate that function?

Maybe Vw programmed all BCM's to have the high beam cut out because they knew they were going to release a fog light retrofit...

If the OP could flip through the long coding helper and see if there is a box for "fogs off with high beam activated" maybe he could just uncheck that bit?
I never looked, but if it's there you could uncheck it.. i think we were more talking about full OEM functionality. at least that's the way I took it. wiring direct to the BCM with no relay etc.

seems to me that the fogs were an after thought :confused:

vw- just make the cars

people- wheres my fogs

vw- crap

vw- retro kit

people- :D

also seems like if that option is there in the BCM that the pin out would be there for full OEM integration, I know this has been discussed and I don't think that was the case. To do that one would have to swap to the high line BCM. But I had all that cornering crap on my GTI and never used it so tis retro kit would be fine for me ;)

stp1971

TDI
Passat
I called the dealership where I got the kit and they don't know the particulars of the wiring. I asked my local dealer (where I bought the car) about doing some programs like the rain sensor and windows up added since I have the sensor on the windshield. They came back and told me they were not allowed by VW to touch the programming.

So getting them do do any of that is out the window. I don't care about cornering features or entry/exit features for the fogs. I have the headlights for entry/exit illumination. I just want to be able to run the fogs anytime I turn on the headlight switch from an off to on/auto position without cutting off with the high beams.

Question is if I get the full Euro switch an then connect the two black/white leads versus plugging into the BCM. I should have fog light function anytime the switch is on and fogs selected on without turning off when high beams selected?

This should not flash any codes from the computer or lamps out indicators (if mine even has that) correct?

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
I never looked, but if it's there you could uncheck it.. i think we were more talking about full OEM functionality. at least that's the way I took it. wiring direct to the BCM with no relay etc.

seems to me that the fogs were an after thought :confused:

vw- just make the cars

people- wheres my fogs

vw- crap

vw- retro kit

people- :D
Not completely accurate :D
All Canadian spec TDI's regardless of trim get fogs, so the coding might be there, I guess the BCM's could be different but I doubt it.

There are so many differences in the specs between here and there it's nuts:
My Passat is the Base TDI sold here and without a website comparison here's what I have that nobody in the US has AFAIK: RCD310 radio, cloth seats, fogs, no factory alarm system.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The wiring would work the same on a 1976 rabbit. It's just using the high beam output from the BCM to turn off the fog light relay. No coding will eliminate this.

I'm not sure if you need to connect the 2 wires together or ground them or what. I'd have to get one of the retrofit harnesses and test :)

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
None of the factory switches will allow you to run fogs in the AUTO position. You have to go to the parking or headlight positions to activate the fog lights.

stp1971

TDI
Passat
Ok. Cool. I ordered the switch with the parking lifts, and the front and rear fogs. I will see what happens if I bypass the BCM to see if it keeps the fogs on with high beams on.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ah cool, I didn't think you could get euro parts.

-J
Normally we can't. But it's the damndest thing. Headlight switches just showed up in the US catalog on the newest update and they actually have stock in a few of the warehouses.

So I tried ordering a few and lo and behold, I received authentic Euro switches.

stp1971

TDI
Passat
Dang. How much is your switch?

Who sells that "special" BCM tool in case I have to go through the BCM with the black and white wires?

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
The pin tool can be found with a Google search but the guy who sells them is not cheap. Otherwise a small paperclip and some skills can get them out. But I don't believe you have to de-pin the BCM for this retro fit. I believe you end up slipping the provided pins into empty slots of the BCM module and viola you have fogs. anyone who has done the real retro fit care to chime in?

stp1971

TDI
Passat
Matco guy wants $167 for a 10-piece kit. Ouch!!! Looks like paper clips it is.

I see the tool in the PDF instructions.

stp1971

TDI
Passat
The switch is supposed to be here Friday. Guess I'll run the wires and get them mounted Saturday. I'm going to check the current to see if the black/white leads have juice coming through them prior to the BCM.

My thoughts are (tell me if I'm wrong) the current comes through there and the BCM decides whether to complete the circuit or not in order to kill the fogs with high beam selected. Does that sound right?

If that's the case then in bypassing the BCM and that will save the hassle of the VW Terminal Tool.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Our euro switches are between $80 and $95 depending on finish (chrome or no) and function.

As for the wiring tools, I wholeheartedly support TDIClub supporters.

Dave at Ottostadt sells a set of both size wiring terminal tools (large terminal and small terminal) for $50 plus shipping. I bought a set and they have saved me the hassle of using a paper lip and pliers a few times.

Well worth the money.

He is in the vendor classifieds...