Hello peeps! Newbie!

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
1997 Passat 110, Ice blue
<font color="blue">Hello everyone!

I'm Stuart, and I have an ice blue 1997 Passat Sport TDi 110. This is the beginning of hopefully a long relationship with you people and my passat.

I originally owned a Lexus GS300, but moved to the passat for fuel consumption really. But so far i'm really impressed with it! And the performance isn't bad too!

Have just ordered an OBDII lead, so any advice on that would be much appreciated! In fact any advice in general would be great!

Well, that's me! </font>

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Hi Stuart.

There's a forum dedicated to on board diagnostics Here.
It mostly deals with a system called "Vag-com" which is dedicated to VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat and comprises a software program for windows and a cable to connect. It's a fairly powerfull piece of kit apparently and better suited to the needs of TDI's than many other systems. Is this what you've ordered?

Any problems yet with the car? or are you just saying Hi?

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
No problems really yet. Had the usual suspension problems and a CV joint fail, but have sorted all of those.

My only worry is that the turbo seems to hiss quite loud, but never had one before so it's difficult to tell if that's how it's supposed to be.

Yeah, i got VAG-COM, just waiting for a lead to come.

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
My only worry is that the turbo seems to hiss quite loud
Turbo should whistle rather than hiss, but I know how hard it is to describe a sound. If you get a hiss it could be that there's a split in a hose somewhere from the turbo to the intake (via the intercooler). Have a close inspection and make sure that there's nothing obvious or a loose clip or suchlike. If the hoses are all ok then there could be a split in the intercooler. If so then this needs sorting before you go fording any streams. With the intercooler way down low and going under water, it'll pull water in if the turbo's off boost and then you'll stop! After that it'll be a tow to the garage and a rebuilt engine.

Someone here found a split in his turbo pipe a couple of weeks ago and he had no reports of poor performance or problems IIRC.

Stuart_B5_TDi110

TDI
<font color="blue">Thanks for that, i'll bear it in mind and have a check when I can. Hopefully VAG-COM will be able to give me some clues when I get it up and running.

I checked the usual jubilee clips on most of the intake hoses etc, but the only one i'm yet to get at is the one at the end of the steel pipe (intercooler end). I could get at the others from the engine bay, but for this I need to remove the belly pan. At least that's what I think you guys call it!!

I'm a regular on clubB5, but there isn't much activity from diesel owners, so i'm glad I found this place!! </font>

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
I've noticed most of the info on the OBD Board is A4 related. I'd be interested in hearing what settings can be modified thru vag com on the B5.
I am anxiously awaiting a Bentley manual for the Us version (134hp TDI B5.5 'variant' wagon). Has anyone heard if/when one might be available in the US for the B5 TDI?

Welcome, enjoy the show.