Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
waiting for my set of golf HIDs :) jeff also hooked me up with some nice mini HID bi-xenons that i'll be doing a custom install on in my mk1 rabbit bumper as auxillary driving/fog lights :D can't wait! i've been wanting to put in some small round HIDs in that forever!

TDI
Alright guys, I have finally posted photos of the Golf headlights. I will have photos of the GLI style up on Monday when I make my first set of those. We have upgraded our projectors to include a different angel eye, one that looks really good. The projectors are exactly the same otherwise, so light output has not changed. Both the golf and jetta versions use the same projectors, so if you are interested in a set of Golf lights, the output is as posted above. Sorry I don't have any photos of the Golf lights on a car..I don't own a Golf...

One last note about the Golf: you have the option of using the Bi-Xenon projector for the high beams, using the stock reflector for the highs, or both..your call. Whichever you decide is how I will wire it up.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Will there be an option to disable the angel lights ?
Can wait to see pics of the GLI version.
Thanks.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Very nice work. Can you post some pics of the back of the Golf lights? Do they project out the back further than the stock lights? It is very tight on the battery side. What do the ballast look like? Thanks for offering these up.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Did you see post #6 above? For minimal space requirements, the mini-ballasts offer the most flexibility on placement.

TDI
The actual housing is no longer than stock. Here is a photo of wires coming out the back. Like I said, I don't have a golf, so I don't know the space there. If someone can give me an idea of exactly how much space there is that would be awesome. Really, you just need enough to let some wires hang there. Those wires also all have a bunch of slack inside the housings, and can be pulled out about 6-8 more inches. Now, if worse comes to worse and the Golf does not have enough room, I can always just put those wires through the side of the housing by where the stock headlight connector is. Plenty of room over there.

The ballasts are slim ballasts. They don't get any smaller. If you just google "slim ballast' that will show you what I mean.

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Yeah, I termed it wrong. I really meant slim ballasts not 'mini-ballast'. Following this thread w/interest. Good you are still with the OEM back covers. Some of the other variants require deeper, non-stock covers that don't seal well and create interference issues.

If you don't mind me asking, which bulb do these take and which projectors are you using. What is the lens diameter? I take it the halo's surround the projector nose only as shown above? Do the blinkers use a single element holder and could you (meaning the buyer) change to a dual element and use them as 'running' or 'city' lights? Thanks for your efforts and hope you sell many. Looking forwards to the GLI version as well.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
What's the pricing looking like for the Golf lights? Also will there be blacked lights (ala GLI) offered for Golf?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
from the first post
"The price for these is $250 which includes shipping. If you would also like to have a pair of ballasts as well, I can include a pair of 35 or 55W ballasts as well for an additional $40. Glass lenses are also available upon request. Here are the complete setup options:

Plastic lenses and W/O ballasts: $250
Plastic Lenses and with ballasts $290
Glass Lenses and W/O ballasts: $315
Glass Lenses and with ballasts: $350"

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
from the first post
"The price for these is $250 which includes shipping. If you would also like to have a pair of ballasts as well, I can include a pair of 35 or 55W ballasts as well for an additional $40. Glass lenses are also available upon request. Here are the complete setup options:

Plastic lenses and W/O ballasts: $250
Plastic Lenses and with ballasts $290
Glass Lenses and W/O ballasts: $315
Glass Lenses and with ballasts: $350"
Jeff said that the Golf packages would be a bit more expensive.

TDI
I'll try to answer some questions, hope I get them all.

The projectors are a variant of the G8 projector. They have a different shroud but the internals are the same. The bulbs can be purchased by searching for "G8 HID bulb" or something similar. Keep in mind, that on the 35W ballasts these bulbs are rated for 3200 hours, and on the 55W ballasts ~1900 hours. If you drive two hours a day, you are looking at 4+ years on a single bulb. You can also extend the life of them by disabling your DRL. Of course, anyone who needs extra bulbs at some point and is having trouble can contact me and I can either supply them or point them towards various websites to get them. The reality of any aftermarket HID setup is that you will have to order bulbs online. AutoZone just does not carry anything of the like.

The pricing on the Golf will be +$20 over the jetta. The Golf headlight assemblies just cost more from the manufacturer.

The "GLI" style golf headlights are significantly more from the manufacturer. In the range of $30 more over the chrome. It is dumb, but it is what it is. For that reason I would generally stay away from those. At some point it started to get away from the affordable concept. I think part of the problem is that the black lip golf headlights are so called "20th Anniversary" lights, so for some reason that puts a premium on the look. I think that is nonsense, but I don't produce the lights so I can't change that. That being said, if a customer really wants them we can make it happen. I can either just order the black ones at whatever the additional cost is, or I can paint that lens lip myself. I would charge maybe $5 extra for the cost of paint but that is it. I would not like to get in the habit of doing paint jobs to these, so I won't offer them as a normal thing, but if someone is that set of them I'll do it.

Almost forgot, The lens diameter is 2.5".

If you guys have more questions let me know!

Jeff

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Nice work, Jeff.;)

While I have a set of aftermarket HID's in my 2005.5 (MKV) Jetta, I wish they were better quality and have a better light pattern. Do you have any forward thinking plans to make a drop in for a MKV?

Tony

TDI
I have considered it, and I am sure that I will at some point. At some point the market for Jetta IV lights will fade and the natural thing to do is to phase in newer models. The newer the car is though, the more expensive those parts (headlight assemblies) become. So I don't think I could offer them right now at the rates I can for the IV. That being said, if anyone has a set of V headlights they would like retrofitted, they are welcome to send them to me and I can do the work to their existing assemblies. Like I said, I will one day transition to the new models, but I'm trying to take things one step at a time.

Where did you get your V aftermarket headlights?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have considered it, and I am sure that I will at some point. At some point the market for Jetta IV lights will fade and the natural thing to do is to phase in newer models. The newer the car is though, the more expensive those parts (headlight assemblies) become. So I don't think I could offer them right now at the rates I can for the IV. That being said, if anyone has a set of V headlights they would like retrofitted, they are welcome to send them to me and I can do the work to their existing assemblies. Like I said, I will one day transition to the new models, but I'm trying to take things one step at a time.

Where did you get your V aftermarket headlights?
The aftermarkets were on the car when I bought it. They have the string of LED's below the H/L beam bulbs and look OK, but the alignment is crappy and I can't seem to adjust the height of the beams. PM me with a price to retrofit the stock ones as I got them with the car.

Thanks,

Tony

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Jeff, thanks for answering the many questions asked! I will take a set for a Golf.
PM sent...
Need some more light for those dark country roads, eh... :) Let us all know how they work out.

Looking up the G8 projectors, it would appear they take a number of different style bulbs. Would be nice to know which it is you're supplying as I am set up for H7 and have extras of everything.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Will do. Darn deer, they are everywhere out here. We hunt daily. Our weapons are cars, our licenses are to drive...and kill or and maim.

TDI
Alright, after 6 hours of hard work, I was able to finish a set of Golf lights, and FINALLY a set of GLI Jetta lights. Here are the photos. It was near impossible to get a good photo without crazy glare hitting the camera lens, but I think these will do it. Everything else (the backs) are the same as the chrome. Only thing different is that black lip. Personally, I think they look the best of the two looks.

TDI
hey guys, I wanted to post some better photos of the GLI lights. I made another set of them tonight, this time with glass lenses. I can also say now that I can offer the Golf lights in the GLI style (chrome with black lens lip). Here they are (and yes, that is a white fiberglass mini Christmas tree in the back round still around from the winter..:

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Nice...
Quick question though,is it just bad picture angle or the black lip is covering the fog light a bit ?
Thanks.

TDI
Answers to some more questions:

-Replacement bulbs for these can be found here and here among other places. The first link is better. Through long and interesting conversations through email and over the phone, we eventually figured out that the bulbs in the first link are produced by the same company/factory as the bulbs the retrofitsource is selling. The second link has the same bulb shape, but I am not convinced about the quality of that one. Having owned products from TRS before, I can say that the bulbs these lights use are equal in quality.

-About the fog light, the answer is both. I am taking the photo from a high angle. More importantly though, when I send these out the adjusters are lower than level to the ground. Once you get them you will have to aim their height correctly which is specific to your car. They will likely need to be aimed upward, which will tilt the reflector back and therefore angle the fog light up.

-When you are ready to order a set, just PM, email, or call me and I will send you a paypal invoice. You can then pay from payal using your account balance or your credit card. If you want, I can also accept checks.

Last edited:

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
I just put my order in! Really excited to see how they turn out. Jeff has been great to work with so far, and has answered all my questions promptly. I will share my experiences with the community once I get the lights in.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
if I were to bring you a set of DEPO blacked out golf/GTI headlights, and glass lenses, how much would the conversion cost, and how long would I have to be without headlights on my Jetta/Golf wagon :)

would it or could it be same day service?

TDI
Finally, here is a photo of the all blacked out version. Decided to offer them. You can have all black, or black background with chrome projector. PM me for details on them.

Ohnoitsthexops

Veteran Member
TDI
02 auto, 99.5 5speed
Finally, here is a photo of the all blacked out version. Decided to offer them. You can have all black, or black background with chrome projector. PM me for details on them.

I wasn't digging the no shroud look, but all black looks nice. Could you do a set with shrouds to help fill the void?

I retrofit my 02 and good god was that some work wouldn't mind paying someone to do it this time lol