I'm gonna do it!!!

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well everybody I have permission from the wife to "build" our 02 Jetta. I killed the head I think due to a pulley locking killing the timing system. Right now I'm finishing my 87 Cabby project once that's done we can have the car down as long as needed (not driving the jetta now of course). I plan on doing an auto to 6 speed trans swap, upgraded turbo, upgraded head, chipped, injectors and who knows what else. Looking forward to this, this will be my 3rd major vehicle project so wish me luck! Hoping to keep it under $5k and done by summer, I will take plenty of pics as I go. I'm guessing I should start by pulling the engine? Also is it a good idea to remove the whole front end to do this? I plan on this car being a sleeper and kinda don't have a choice since my wife wants it to look stock, it will still be her daily driver but that may change now that the cabby is almost done. What kind of power level should I shoot for with out it being hard to handle?

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Power you can get used to, don't let it limit you. I have never heard of "too much power". It even seems silly to type!

Keep this thread up to date with pictures... interested to see the mods.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
car will never get done with 5k.... but that may be more of an opinion. If you get everything used/broken and fix it / do it yourself you may squeak by with that budget.

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Power you can get used to, don't let it limit you. I have never heard of "too much power". It even seems silly to type!

Keep this thread up to date with pictures... interested to see the mods.

My Jeep CJ-5 has too much power, its just plain scary! I will and me too :)

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
car will never get done with 5k.... but that may be more of an opinion. If you get everything used/broken and fix it / do it yourself you may squeak by with that budget.

Everything will be done myself, also things like the turbo and 6speed swap will be bought used. I redid the cabby for $1k including buying the car, just the matter of looking for deals and taking your time finding them.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 91 cabby I'm in progress with I'm about 800 into it right now including purchase of the car rebuilding the motor and fixing everything on it. I probably have another 500 to go.

I know all about that being stingy thing! I wish you the best of luck sir :)

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
hybrid, 6 speed. 5k is gone.

you could get away with a gtb1756vk for around 5k if you didnt have to do much with the transmission.

im about $4500 into my 17/22 build and it havnt removed the head, or done anything with the gearbox. after looking at what ive spent i should have gone 1756vk and the receipts would stack up about as high to be honest.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
when they're that old what on earth would you expect. I just wished mine wasn't an auto =(

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
hybrid, 6 speed. 5k is gone.

you could get away with a gtb1756vk for around 5k if you didnt have to do much with the transmission.

im about $4500 into my 17/22 build and it havnt removed the head, or done anything with the gearbox. after looking at what ive spent i should have gone 1756vk and the receipts would stack up about as high to be honest.

shhhhhh it will only take 5k!!! That's what my wife will think ;)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I say pull the front off, much easier to get in and much easier to take out and refit the engine. I also reckon you could do everything and buy the lady some new shoes for that budget ;)

:D

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
i mean, im sure im sure its possible if you can be resourceful. 5k goes a long way if you look through the classifieds, look for deals, and make friends! Doing work yourself and reconditioning anything you can will save you money too.

But in my opinion the 6speed is whats gunna kill you. no cheap way out of that one. Even if you go for a used GTI 02M, its gunna rail you.

But im definitely looking forward to seeing any cheap alternatives and out of the box thinking you can come up with!

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I say pull the front off, much easier to get in and much easier to take out and refit the engine. I also reckon you could do everything and buy the lady some new shoes for that budget ;)

:D

Try a horse, shes been wanting one for a while so this is the deal. Can't complain since she let me drop a ton of into the jeep and cabby.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Why are you asking your wife for "permission"? If you are making your own money and the bills are being paid, her only response should be "yes dear" or "that's nice".

Taking an end run around her or trying to confuse her is just plain disrespectful. Just tell her how it is. Trust me, she will respect you a lot more if you don't let her vaginize you..........................

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Why are you asking your wife for "permission"? If you are making your own money and the bills are being paid, her only response should be "yes dear" or "that's nice".

Taking an end run around her or trying to confuse her is just plain disrespectful. Just tell her how it is. Trust me, she will respect you a lot more if you don't let her vaginize you..........................
I think you might have mistaken the first post, I reckon him and his wife get along great and they reach compromises regarding his hobby. I don't see how he's in any way confusing her.

My wife and I do the same thing, we're in it together and whatever money comes into the house is for both of us so we make compromises for each other. We've lasted 20 years so far so must be doing something right.

DervPwr

TDI
León ASV
Go GTB1756VK!

There's also the point that most women hide how much they really spend on clothes and expensive make up from men, and most men hide how much they really spend on modding their car from their woman...it's horses for courses I reckon, lol

Last edited:

Nickstdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I think you might have mistaken the first post, I reckon him and his wife get along great and they reach compromises regarding his hobby. I don't see how he's in any way confusing her.

My wife and I do the same thing, we're in it together and whatever money comes into the house is for both of us so we make compromises for each other. We've lasted 20 years so far so must be doing something right.

You're exactly right, and every time we spend money we ask each other first. My car is a one time major expense her horse is $600 per month for 25-30 yrs. Plus we both get pleasure out of each others hobby, I get the pleasure of cleaning up horse poop, lol.
to Seatman, if you tell your wife your spending the money and that's the way it is, then that in my mind is being disrespectful. My wife wouldn't put up with that and I wouldn't expect her too. You have to be a team, I don't expect my wife to take crap from me and I hope that if somehow I ever get that way she puts me in my place.

Any way back to the car, the cabby is getting finished up today and as long as it has no problems then I will start working on the Jetta. My WIFE and I are thinking about using it for SCCA as a form of advertising but it will still be road legal. Whats everyone's thoughts?