Injection Pump Rebuild

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Can anyone recommend or offer good feedback as to where I can get my 11mm IP rebuilt? I know there is DFIS in the USA but that is not feasible :eek:

I know there is a place called Diesel Injection Service here locally but I have not heard any feedback about them regarding VE pumps specifically.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Any idea as to what they charge? I am contemplating rebuild or buy a used 11mm. I know I will be taking a little more chance buying used but the existing pump has to come out anyways.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I was told by my mech., who is a VW mech., that they can not be rebuilt for my 2001 Jetta TDI for diff., reasons. One is the threads will strip etc when taking it apart. Best to buy a new one and they go for about $1000.00 brand new or get a good used one. The problem with most used ones is that they are high mileage ones and may fail soon after installing, no warranty what so ever on it. As soon as I drive away.

Last edited:

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I know for sure that Bosch does have service/dealer centres factory-trained to do repairs so I have sent Bosch an email to confirm that this can indeed be done on my VE pump.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you can rebuild the VE pumps, but it takes special equipment.

It's quite rare that we need to change those pumps.. On occasion, seals may need to be changed, but the pump doesn't need to be removed for that.

Have you spoken ti Dom at DMF? He might be fiddling with then.

Otherwise, Lew Diesel is a bosch facility located in Ponite-Claire (west of Montreal). I hear tyhat they are good, but not cheap.

benchote13

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000
there is also Rovan Diesel in mississauga they are Bosch trained/approved and rebuild these pumps for local dealers, don't know how much or how good they are but I know they do it, I only go there to buy my Stanadyne additive

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
yatzee said:
Have you spoken ti Dom at DMF? He might be fiddling with then.

Otherwise, Lew Diesel is a bosch facility located in Ponite-Claire (west of Montreal). I hear tyhat they are good, but not cheap.
I actually had to Dom do the seals (upper&lower) :)

(edited out as issue the stuttering issue returned!)

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
FXDL said:
I was told by my mech., who is a VW mech., that they can not be rebuilt for my 2001 Jetta TDI for diff., reasons. One is the threads will strip etc when taking it apart.
I was going to suggest you bring a lie detector with you the next time you talk to a VW mech, but it's possible he really doesn't know...

In the "old" days, AutoLectra in Montreal was a rebuilder, but when the pumps became too sophisticated, they stopped doing this type of work. There are only a few Bosch "approved" rebuilders out there... and given all the specialized equipment they need, they do charge a fair bit of money...

Yuri

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
benchote13 said:
there is also Rovan Diesel in mississauga they are Bosch trained/approved and rebuild these pumps for local dealers, don't know how much or how good they are but I know they do it, I only go there to buy my Stanadyne additive
This is where I had my pump rebuilt. It cost a LOT of money but the one bonus was that one everything was finished, I actually gained maybe 5-10% better fuel economy.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Two main symptoms as I know them:

1) noise. Listen to the pump for abnormal clicking or clacking. best not to let the pump stay like this for long, as too much damage will make the pump non-rebuildable, and possibly toof your injectors.

2) performance issues. Low power, intemittent low power, excess smoke, hard starts. you name it. Mostly the pump will be diagnosed for these issues by elimination of all the other cheaper items like timing and nozzles.

Through my experience, one way to gauge a pump is to look at the TDI timing graph on VCDS. A good pump will have very little movement of the timing mark (variation of one or two pixels vertical), worn pumps start to see the timing dance around quite a bit - up to 6 pixels or more, and sometimes the timing just will not set.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Well there is no abnormal noises coming from the pump. Used my stethoscope to take a close listen as well and seems ok.

As far as performance issues, power is good, no excessive smoke (never had smoke with the tune), starts fine.

I will verify the timing again tomorrow when I get the car up to operating temperature. I will pay more attention to how much movement (if any) is in the graph.

My injector balance at idle is:

#1: -0.30
#2: -0.17
#3: -0.23
#4: +0.45

Would I be a good candidate for DBW calibration, maybe? Car has 285kms on original injectors, PP520 installed about 2 years ago so about 60kms on those.

DOKE-tdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI
Injection Pump rebuilder

I was told by a veteran member here that Diesel Fuel Injection Service (DFSI) in Oregon is the best around.
I called and got a quote of $650 minimum to $950 maximum to rebuild my 10mm Bosch for a 2000 Jetta TDI

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I was told by a veteran member here that Diesel Fuel Injection Service (DFSI) in Oregon is the best around.
I called and got a quote of $650 minimum to $950 maximum to rebuild my 10mm Bosch for a 2000 Jetta TDI
You didn't win.