Warranty Denial

S

SkyPup

Here is some news about the new VW VAG tool and the ability of a dealer to wipe out your chips code, it is from a post on the VW VORTEX PASSAT(B5) forum, I am posting it here since it is important for many of us too.

I spoke with a manager from our dealership today (in my office...I'm his doctor) and asked about the new VAG tool. Some answers:

1. It's already hitting the dealerships. At our dealerships, it's already in use.

2. It does not automatically overwrite modified turbo boost programs. It can be configured to do so, but only intentionally, not accidentally or automatically.

3. This particular dealership's policy is to leave any chip program modifications alone, as long as everything is working properly.

I had my 10K check-up about ten weeks ago, before the new tools arrived, but after my turbo was chipped. They detected nothing wrong and changed nothing. I have no reason to believe that they will do anything to reprogram the car at the next check up with everything apparently functioning normally.

Click on this URL to check out diagnostic data scanners for VW's that you can purchase.
www.baumtools.com/cs2000.htm

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited June 11, 1999).]

M

mickey

Wow, that's kinda scary! I thought the programming was hard-wired into the Wett chip! How can they "erase" the program? I'll say one thing for sure: If they deliberately vandalize my personal property, heads will roll. I plan to make sure my dealer is well aware of the presense of the Wett chip if they ever need to fool with the car, and to make them similarly aware of my obsessive emotional attachment to my little silicon friend. "You can have my Wetterauer chip when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

-mickey

A4 GLS TDI

I would be very surprized that the ECU was designed to allow eprom re-programing. If that were the case, Wett need not replace the chip, just re-program the existing chip....

------------------

99 A4 Jetta GLS TDI with Wett chip

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I do believe that our chips can be programmed but didn't know that they can be done through the OBD port. My friend at Dinan told me that BMWs starting MY'95 have a diagnostic port in addition to the OBD-II port that gives MUCH more info than the OBD could ever dream of. They no longer swap chips because BMW now encripts their chips as part of an anti-theft system and physically swapping chips can potentially lead to a dead car. All reprogramming is now done through the diagnostics port with a palmtop running Windows CE.

------------------
'98 Jetta TDi with Hopa Module and custom short shifter