Crankcase Ventilation

phxvalkry

TDI
gls,2002, blue
I am newe to this forum, I recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI. Have a 2002 Ford SuperDuty with the Powerstroke, thats a major reason I invested in a TDI..Diesels ya gotta luv em !! Anyway have read numereous posts about intake build up, my Jetta has 7800 miles on it, I use Rottela synthetic. Has anyone had any experience with the Racor crankase ventilation filters ?

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Lots of threads about CCV filters around here. A couple guys are even selling their own designs in the for-sale section.

I think the general consensus is that the Racor units are too large to mount easily on the TDI.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
There was much talk a while back that Racor was going to make a smaller filter that would work on our motor. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing ever came of it. I know that one member had the 3500 installed on his car and he did like it, but it was definitely overkill. The current production models really simply are too large for our cars, we don't flow enough air for the 3500 to be as effective as it is on the bigger truck diesels.

I personally always wanted one, because it would be the best design for the A3, due to the fact that it has a drainback to the sump like our CCV design.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Bookerdog said:
There was much talk a while back that Racor was going to make a smaller filter that would work on our motor. Unfortunately, it looks like nothing ever came of it. I know that one member had the 3500 installed on his car and he did like it, but it was definitely overkill. The current production models really simply are too large for our cars, we don't flow enough air for the 3500 to be as effective as it is on the bigger truck diesels.

I personally always wanted one, because it would be the best design for the A3, due to the fact that it has a drainback to the sump like our CCV design.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a CCV filter on my TDI for a while and a great majority of the condensate was water mixed with oil. Not sure if I would want that draining back into the crankcase.

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
Well, with the stock CCV that's what's happening anyway, at least on the A3/B4. The Racor has a pretty stout filtration media that supposedly allows the heavy liquids like oil (and probably some water) drain back, while the gasses are filtered and returned to the standard intake tract.

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Mine had a filter medium that trapped the oil/water and let it collect while the gases kept moving. I had to remove it when it completely iced up during extreme below zero temps and blocked the CCV.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
However, Old Navy's CCV filter is not designed for A3/B4 engines.

Note: This thread is currenly in an A3/B4 forum. The original poster has a A4 engine.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

See the pressure regulator in the upper right of this picture posted by ALCO? It has an additional hose connection.

Weasle543

Veteran Member
TDI
98 blue & 03 grey Jetta, 96 green Passat
What's that extra hose for? Is that the "elephant" hose?

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
[ QUOTE ]
Weasle543 said:
What's that extra hose for? Is that the "elephant" hose?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're talking about the big hose coming out on the left of the puck and headed toward the front of the engine? That indeed is an elephant hose mod. The picture is actually a little confusing, because there appears to be a third hose coming into the puck, but there is not. That's just where the original hose was removed and probably has an airfilter stuck on it.

The "extra" hose that the A3 has compared to the A4 is actually the hose on the right hand side, which is an oil drainback/lower crankcase pressure relief hose. It goes down to an opening on the block that opens into the oil pan. Nobody really seems to know what the heck the thing really does. But nobody wants to block it off because the lower crankcase pressure issues.

As far as the puck itself, there's absolutely nothing to it that I can tell. Just a plastic opening with an opening on the bottom and to openings on the side.

Old Navy, be sure to take a look at Oilhammer's CCV at the GTG next weekend. It would be great if we poor forgotten A3 folks could have the opportunity to purchase one of your fine filters for our cars.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
[ QUOTE ]
Bookerdog said:
As far as the puck itself, there's absolutely nothing to it that I can tell. Just a plastic opening with an opening on the bottom and to openings on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It is a crankcase pressure regulator valve. It contains a spring-loaded diaphram that closes the valve under conditions of high crankcase gas flow.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
To phxvalkry member. CCV; I would use a Condensator for ccv. I believe you can not get anything better.TDI's. The Racor has a filter in it that will need replacing, at a cost. The Condensator you just take apart, wash it and put back together, real simple. Condensator does have a web page. Price wise it is costs less then a Racor and in the long run. You could make one like most do here, but would not work as good as the Condensator. You want the best, pay a little now or lot later. When I have a little extra cash, I will get one. Each their own, I guess. Good luck on your search. [Dieseltwo-Bradford-Ont.Can.]

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I was sitting in the living room watching TV and that same thought about A3 & Oilhammer just about 10 minutes ago. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

One of our test guys did the pressure checks on his A4 car and it had o.75PSI of Vacuum at MAX RPM. The CCV diphgarm is just a half a$$ed idea on these cars. If you have proper filteration and a car that is not worn out with tons of blow-by the OEM CCV is a waste.

As you can see VW made effort to install a filter in the system. It was a good idea, just a poor design. Filter placement was very poor, as was type of filter material. The wide mesh (1/4 inch or 6 mm openings) steel filter media was use for length of service, due to impossiable access for filter replacement.

If they had done what we are doing, these cars would not be having oil into the intake. All it would have taken is to have installed a proper filter in bottem section of a slightly larger OEM CCV.