and your 2015 Motor Trend Car of the Year is.....

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Based on the new Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the German-engineered 2015 Golf family is currently available in four different versions: fun-to-drive Golf 1.8T, frugal Golf TDI Clean Diesel, sporty Golf GTI and the all-electric, zero-tailpipe emissions e-Golf. With a host of newly available driver assistance features and excellent EPA estimated highway fuel economy, the all-new Golf is a standout in the compact class. Reinforcing this, the lineup will be rounded out in early 2015 with the all-new 292-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Golf R and the Golf SportWagen range.
Anyone else catch that?? Maybe a Golf TDI-R??

Edit: sorry the quote from the article is so big, I can't figure out how to edit font size in a quote.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Sorry to break it to you - the 292 HP version, if it happens, will be a gasser.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, noting what MT has done in the past, and the diminishing influence the magazine has in the publication world, I'd expect that 3 things will happen as a result.

1) There will be an up-tick in self-ego stroking posts, mostly on vortex but some here, on how wonderful we are for having purchased a car from such a wonderful german engineered :rolleyes: car maker.
2) There will be a substantial increase in the number of VW ads in MT, along with a remarkable number of references to the car of the year award in VW ads placed in other media.
3) There will be a barely noticeable (i.e. not statistically significant) up-tick in new car sales for VW tied directly to MT's designation. Any sales increases that are significant will be more directly attributable to deals and discounts offered by VW, and just plain more advertising presence.

Sorry to have such a jaundiced view, but these days I am never surprised at the extent to which media in general, (I was going to say magazines in particular, but really, none of 'em are trustworthy) are willing to prostitute themselves in order to fill their pockets.

Cheers!

PH