www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old June 19th, 2018, 13:18   #31
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

No more problems with my pano roof after removing the drain caps.
mxtdiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 13:43   #32
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtdiguy View Post
No more problems with my pano roof after removing the drain caps.
Drain caps is what prevent critters from entering the drain? Service advisor told me about those...

It's been 2 day. They will do the step 2 of the recall at the same time... Funny because I'm considering doing a delete next year.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 14:18   #33
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Drain caps is what prevent critters from entering the drain? Service advisor told me about those...

It's been 2 day. They will do the step 2 of the recall at the same time... Funny because I'm considering doing a delete next year.

They are size of dimes. Maybe ants could crawl up the drain lines, but why would they ?
Old June 19th, 2018, 16:00   #34
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

"The itsy bitsy spider went up the Golf drain spout..."

But seriously, I think sticking check valves (not really caps) explain why, for mine, there's only leakage with extreme rainfall rate; with normal rainfall rate or car washing its bone dry. Extreme drainage probably overwhelms them when they're sticking or restricted from dirt buildup. I'd like to remove them, then do a water nozzle blast around the sunroof perimeter, but ideally remove the headliner first just in case the real culprit is the bad sunroof frame seal issue per the TSB.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 19:23   #35
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
"The itsy bitsy spider went up the Golf drain spout..."
But seriously, I think sticking check valves (not really caps) explain why, for mine, there's only leakage with extreme rainfall rate; with normal rainfall rate or car washing its bone dry. Extreme drainage probably overwhelms them when they're sticking or restricted from dirt buildup. I'd like to remove them, then do a water nozzle blast around the sunroof perimeter, but ideally remove the headliner first just in case the real culprit is the bad sunroof frame seal issue per the TSB.
The rear ones take about ten minutes to remove. You could check the flow rate before and after removing them by parking slightly uphill and pouring some water into the catch tray. I bet they barely flow with the "valves" in place
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:48   #36
740GLE
Veteran Member

you guys better stay away from looking at Alltrack threads, people have been reporting seeing staining on new MY18 cars in the lots, as well as others that have less than 3K miles.

There are about 3-5 failure modes for water to hit the head liner and cause staining. All of them but keeping your drain clean are manufacture defects that VW still hasn't been able to solve.

I have heard from other owners that if the car is nose up and the rain heavy enough water hits the rear drains even with them 100% clean the water shed will overflow the pano drip tray and leak, not sure if this is with or without spider traps.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 16:20   #37
sportwagen3

Yea my sunroof only leaked during heavy rain storms. Other than that I had no issues. The only problem is the dealer could never "recreate" the leak so they haven't fixed it.
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 16:25   #38
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

I had a leak in my sunroof (I assume) a little while ago - water mark on the passenger-side D-pillar (if that's a thing - the very back).

BUT - I will completely own that. A bird had flown over my car and emptied its bowels (seriously - there had to be at least a cup of excrement) right onto that side of the sunroof. It got dried on before I was able to clean it up and so I was a lazy fool and just hit it with everything the garden hose had for a good five minutes. Not a good idea.
(And still couldn't get all of the crap off - ended up having to get a rag on it anyway).

A few decent rain dumps since then and no sign of water penetration so I'm counting this one as "lesson learned" (and hoping that's the extent of it).
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 18:36   #39
mxtdiguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportwagen3 View Post
Yea my sunroof only leaked during heavy rain storms. Other than that I had no issues. The only problem is the dealer could never "recreate" the leak so they haven't fixed it.
The difference in drain flow with the caps removed is huge. I suspect a large percentage of leaks are due to the caps not allowing high volumes of water to be drained fast enough, or as in my case not at all.

I'm going to keep calling them caps since that is the function they served on my car
Old June 21st, 2018, 06:09   #40
740GLE
Veteran Member

spider caps!!!
Old June 21st, 2018, 14:56   #41
Discovery

I go my car back today (feelgoodman.jpg)
The problem was indeed the itsy bitsy Spyder cap. They removed it, cleaned the headliner and did the second stage tdi recall.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 17:18   #42
dieselpwr

Mine is at the dealer also for its 2nd leak. Will have them remove the caps. Or will do it myself if they refuse
dieselpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 17:25   #43
bizzle
Veteran Member

You guys keep calling these spider caps but if they're really the size of dimes than even rodents as large as mice could fit up in those tubes. Not sure why they would, but they could .
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2018, 13:29   #44
Alex22
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

Why not wrap a little bit of stainless steel mesh around the bottom of the drain tube? You should still have the flow without the large critter opening and check them every few months to make sure they haven’t plugged up with crud.

Alex22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 04:12   #45
740GLE
Veteran Member

It'd still prob collect debris and sludge that builds up. One thing I did notice if you look at pictures of the cars with the head liner removed. the rear tubes go almost horizontal with a huge droop as they trace back then down to the rear pillar.