www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old April 11th, 2018, 13:45   #16
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I need one of those adapters for a bike rack... is that also from IDparts?
No. It's made for Tesla, built by Bosal. Sold at Tesla dealer only
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:38   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

If people are complaining about a tdi towing the irony of a Tesla towing is ever better.

Even though i imagine its mainly used for bike racks.

Whats the make of that aluminum trailer? looked at those T@G and T@Bs but darn they are pricey.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:51   #18
PB_NB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Whats the make of that aluminum trailer? looked at those T@G and T@Bs but darn they are pricey.
Our aluminum trailer is a Camplite made by LivinLite.

Ours is a 2011 13 footer. It is wide as well as tall. Has an empty weight of 1,620 lbs. They have headroom so I don't hit my head on the roof and width.

Just need to use clamp on side mirrors to see around the trailer.

The newer models are heavier (about 500 lbs more) and have a curved front for better aerodynamics. I think they started to put more more into the new ones as well as a double floor.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 10:58   #19
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Our aluminum trailer is a Camplite made by LivinLite.

Ours is a 2011 13 footer. It is wide as well as tall. Has an empty weight of 1,620 lbs. They have headroom so I don't hit my head on the roof and width.

Just need to use clamp on side mirrors to see around the trailer.

The newer models are heavier (about 500 lbs more) and have a curved front for better aerodynamics. I think they started to put more more into the new ones as well as a double floor.
Camplite will probably be our next trailer.
The Prolite is nice but 100% aluminum is better.

I was dreaming about an airstream until I find out that the floor is plywood and the frame steel.

Can't wait to receive that Bosal hitch!
And yes I will fload this forum with GSW pulling thing picture
Old April 14th, 2018, 17:34   #20
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
I'm currently waiting for ID parts (since February) to ship my Bosal Hitch for my '15 GSW TDI DSG.
Seem like they have trouble getting part from Bosal.

I also have this adapter for 2" hitch carrier or other hitch:

And this brake controller Prodigy p3

Only thing missing is the light wiring, I might order this one, its plug and play and pull his juice from the battery instead of the car light wiring

And all of this will be use to tow this 1400lbs dry (1800lbs fully loaded) trailer +2adults 2kid

I'm also about to restore a 4x8 utility trailer that I'll use with the VW. Axle will be replaced with a torsion axle because they drive nicely. W/brake, because I love to stop when I press the brake pedal.

I have great faith in this car as a tow rig. I'm aware it's not a Super Duty Dually, but i am also aware I don't need that either.
From what I've found, there are NO plug and play wiring harnesses for the '15 GSW. They have them for the regular Golf, but not the GSW. I believe the one for the regular Golf can be made to work for the GSW, but you have to switch wires on the plug for each side-there is a thread here that shows what wires to where. What Tekonsha kit# is that?
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 11:12   #21
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
From what I've found, there are NO plug and play wiring harnesses for the '15 GSW. They have them for the regular Golf, but not the GSW. I believe the one for the regular Golf can be made to work for the GSW, but you have to switch wires on the plug for each side-there is a thread here that shows what wires to where. What Tekonsha kit# is that?
It's the 118646

https://www.etrailer.com/question-136465.html
Old April 25th, 2018, 17:53   #22
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
Thank you for bumping the instructional thread!

I've ordered the tekonsha kit and a 7 way car end connector.

I'm wondering what everyone did to send power on the 12v lead? Having the car alternator charging the trailer battery would be nice.
Old April 25th, 2018, 18:45   #23
PB_NB
Veteran Member

I left my charging pin alone. I didn't want to cook my alternator by charging extra batteries especially now that I have 4 x 6 volt deep cycle batteries. I have solar panels to charge when no plug-in's are available.

Lights are all I want to pull from the car to avoid any strain on the charging system.

Before I put the 6 volt batteries in, I had a single 12 volt which is really only good to run the trailer lights. With the 6 volt I can run my stove and kettle and almost everything else. Adds about 250 lbs to the trailer but I took some other items out to balance the weight.
1999 New Beetle TDI - Bosio 1019's, Malone S4, Skid Plate, Neuspeed Sway Bars, KW V2, 19's BBS-CH, Spyder LED's, EGR Delete, VF Mounts, South Bend Clutch, B&M Shift Kit, VNT17, Custom Side Mount Intercooler, HPA Big Brakes 355mm Ft/335mm Rr, 2.5" Custom SS Straight Through Exhaust, Colt Stage 2 Cam, 3 Bar Map.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 18:46   #24
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

The Westfalia kits will charge a battery no problem. You can choose whether the 12v output is hot all the time or just charges when the car is running in the VCDS coding.
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2018, 03:41   #25
Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
I left my charging pin alone. I didn't want to cook my alternator by charging extra batteries especially now that I have 4 x 6 volt deep cycle batteries. I have solar panels to charge when no plug-in's are available.

Lights are all I want to pull from the car to avoid any strain on the charging system.

Before I put the 6 volt batteries in, I had a single 12 volt which is really only good to run the trailer lights. With the 6 volt I can run my stove and kettle and almost everything else. Adds about 250 lbs to the trailer but I took some other items out to balance the weight.
That's what I'm afraid too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedadiah View Post
The Westfalia kits will charge a battery no problem. You can choose whether the 12v output is hot all the time or just charges when the car is running in the VCDS coding.
What kit did you use?
Old April 26th, 2018, 12:17   #26
Jedadiah
Veteran Member

The trailer wiring was
Westfalia 305408300113

Here's a link to my install threadhttp://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=478382

One change to my post above. You can change the 12v output with VCDS, but not exactly how I said above. You can code whether pin is hot all the time or only with a trailer attached. However, you can choose to use pin 9 which is always hot or pin 10 which is only hot with the ignition on on your 13pin to 7 pin adapter.

Last edited by Jedadiah; April 26th, 2018 at 12:22.
Jedadiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2018, 19:14   #27
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Don't think this will work. I looked at the compatibility chart and says all Golfs except the Sportwagen. I think the colored wires need to be moved over on the connector. When you get this and do the install, please post and let us know if this kit actually is a plug-n-play for the Sportwagen with out changing wires around...
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 24k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 100hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 423k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
Old April 30th, 2018, 07:15   #28
laminated
Veteran Member

you can wire in the harness from a 14, I got one from a forum for 15 bucks. and the guy just wired in in and took power from the rear cig lighter
laminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 20:28   #29
Discovery

Victory!

Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:48   #30
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminated View Post
you can wire in the harness from a 14, I got one from a forum for 15 bucks. and the guy just wired in in and took power from the rear cig lighter
Was that a plug-n-play or did it involve splicing wires? The harness from a 14 what, Jetta wagon or a Golf?