www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old July 26th, 2017, 11:01   #16
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The challenge you face is that the TDI has a torsion beam rear axle and GTI and R Golfs have IRS, so they use different rear springs. A GSW is significantly heavier than the Golf in the rear so those springs won't do what you want.

My experience is that H&R tends to consolidate a lot of part numbers into its sport springs. I'd look for Eibach springs instead if you can find them for your application. I looked in the Koni catalog to see if they have a shock/Eibach spring set like they do for the MKVI cars, but not yet.
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:36   #17
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The challenge you face is that the TDI has a torsion beam rear axle and GTI and R Golfs have IRS, so they use different rear springs. A GSW is significantly heavier than the Golf in the rear so those springs won't do what you want.

My experience is that H&R tends to consolidate a lot of part numbers into its sport springs. I'd look for Eibach springs instead if you can find them for your application. I looked in the Koni catalog to see if they have a shock/Eibach spring set like they do for the MKVI cars, but not yet.
After looking around and at the actual pics of a GSW TDI on the H&R Sports I posted about up above, they are definitely the way I'm going. H&R's site is interesting to see they did specify that part number for all the variants BUT that part number is only referenced for the GSW TDI's being sold and 100% compatible with the GSW TDI. It's a little confusing but after looking at someone else before/after with my exact car, I'm very comfortable with my decision.

For reference, here is main thread on the other site (hope it's ok to direct back there) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...SW-Spring-Sets
Old July 26th, 2017, 20:01   #18
MIXMAN3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrogers1 View Post
After looking around and at the actual pics of a GSW TDI on the H&R Sports I posted about up above, they are definitely the way I'm going. H&R's site is interesting to see they did specify that part number for all the variants BUT that part number is only referenced for the GSW TDI's being sold and 100% compatible with the GSW TDI. It's a little confusing but after looking at someone else before/after with my exact car, I'm very comfortable with my decision.
For reference, here is main thread on the other site (hope it's ok to direct back there) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...SW-Spring-Sets
Yes, there seems to be plenty of info on springs for the GSW TDI, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL, no wagon.

I thought the H&R springs would work great, but the question is would they void the factory warranty on the suspension. Im guessing they would. I literally have a 4 finger gap in the rear and almost 4 fingers in the front on stock GTI Austins.
MIXMAN3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 22:41   #19
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIXMAN3113 View Post
Yes, there seems to be plenty of info on springs for the GSW TDI, I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL, no wagon.

I thought the H&R springs would work great, but the question is would they void the factory warranty on the suspension. Im guessing they would. I literally have a 4 finger gap in the rear and almost 4 fingers in the front on stock GTI Austins.
I'm not even sure what warranty we have on the related suspension parts BUT I would assume and non-VW accessory spring would void it. I don't know if even the Eibach springs count anymore as "VW" accessories like back when you could order from them. No matter, I can't stand to look at the car with all the gap. If a conservative drop like these blows out a strut, then either replace with stock one or upgrade them all to aftermarket.😊

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old July 27th, 2017, 04:30   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:

FYI H&R site and different part numbers may not actually mean they they are actually different car specific parts.

Case in point, I found their part number for a 24mm RSB for the Passat, ordered it, it was a different part number form the Mk5 jetta according to their site. In turning back my Mk5 jetta I removed the 24mm bar that I bought second hand from a 'vtex GTI member.

I compared both bars side by side, and they were bang on same dimensions, only difference is the Passat's was Purple Mat where as the Mk5 was silver sparkle.

Maybe the actual torsion of the two bars were different, different alloy or something but still I didn't even try the Mk5 bar on the passat because it had different part numbers, if I had I would have prob been happy enough with it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 05:50   #21
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

has anybody compared the rear spring from the GTI vs TDI, i understand TDI is not an IRS but how do they ( springs) actually differ?
bmwM5power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 15:53   #22
Geist296

Quote:
Check the Eibach's. Finally had them installed on my 15 GSW and love it, front down about 1 3/4" and the rear just a bit more. Ride is for the most part like stock and no where near annoying. I am glad I went with these....
[IMG][/IMG]
Geist296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 09:18   #23
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

H&R Sports (correct ones for our TDI)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old June 1st, 2018, 15:58   #24
VWjunkie

TDI(s): 15 GSW SEL

Looks good. I went with Neuspeed for my GSW.
VWjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 16:03   #25
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Nice, I ended up switching to H&Rs as well. I have the same Quickjack as well, perfect for pretty much any job!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 17:43   #26
jonferns
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '15 Golf

Quote:
H&R Sports (correct ones for our TDI)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Love the wheels! Details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'06 Jetta TDI - 215k, DSG
jonferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 17:50   #27
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I'd be interested to see what an alignment report looks like for one of these cars after lowering. i wonder if they have some of the same geometry changes as MKIV cars when lowered.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 05:09   #28
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I'd be interested to see what an alignment report looks like for one of these cars after lowering. i wonder if they have some of the same geometry changes as MKIV cars when lowered.
Here's mine from just after install.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 09:59   #29
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Front camber looks like it would on a lowered MKIV. I would have asked them to shift the subframe to equalize left and right measurements.
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:58   #30
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonferns View Post
Love the wheels! Details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are Konig Oversteers in Opal color, 17x8 wrapped in Continental SureContact 235/45ZR17 tires. It's my #dadwagen so I opted to stay with the 17in wheel and meaty tires. If I was a younger man with less need for "utility" I would have gone with the 18's but these look good, right great (38psi) and have LOTS of rim protection so I'm quite happy with the decision.