www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old September 26th, 2015, 10:50   #31
Zut Alors!

The EA288's are included in the EPA recall, but from what I can gather, there's no evidence published that it exceeds the standards. From a couple of posts I've read over in the Thread of Doom(tm), the reason for the EA288s are on the list seem to be because they have the defeat software still in the ECU, so they're going to need to be flashed. That doesn't make total sense to me (the last part), but there you go.
Old September 26th, 2015, 20:28   #32
Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut Alors! View Post
the reason for the EA288s are on the list seem to be because they have the defeat software still in the ECU, so they're going to need to be flashed. That doesn't make total sense to me (the last part), but there you go.
I guess you're assuming the EA288 is within the EPA specs when not being monitored?
That makes sense but can one test this? I own a Ross-Tech VCDS but haven't dug that deep yet. My ride just turned 1000 mi. She's a nu-be.
Old September 26th, 2015, 22:43   #33
Zut Alors!

I'm assuming that the EA288 is within specs because the SCR by nature is rather effective at reducing NOx emissions. What we don't know is the amount of urea released is enough to keep it under the emissions regulations though.
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:21   #34
panda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
I guess you're assuming the EA288 is within the EPA specs when not being monitored?
That makes sense but can one test this? I own a Ross-Tech VCDS but haven't dug that deep yet. My ride just turned 1000 mi. She's a nu-be.
I just sent my Ross-Tech interface in for the CAN upgrade. I'd like to collect all the performance and fuel efficiency data I can before the notice to bring the car in arrives. Even so I don't want to get on it too much as I too just passed 1000 miles. Any suggestions on what to log? I see a nice long road trip with the laptop on the passenger seat.

When the emissions fixes roll out, it seems logical the EA288 will be first. It seems the most likely motor that can be made compliant by a reflash if for no other reason than to remove the defeat routines from the code base. Obviously, if we want to keep our warranty and any warranty sweetener, we WILL have to allow them to do the reflash but I'd rather be toward the end of the line. Maybe it will take them awhile but I doubt it with all the 2015/2016 inventory $$ tied up. I got the last MT GSW at my dealer on September 5th but they had at least 50 TDI Sportwagens alone in their inventory.
Old September 27th, 2015, 03:58   #35
meerschm
Veteran Member

Great idea to log some values with VCDS.

start with the engine controller advanced measuring values.

calculated and measured soot, all the exhaust temperatures (including DPF)

rpm coolant temp. (you can pick up to 12, I think) include any DEF measures.

an hour drive from cold start is informative. (logging while you go)
adjust selection, repeat.

for me, I really am not so concerned with wide open acceleration, but performance in normal driving.

you also may want to explore the basic settings, and log those values as well.

even without the upcoming modification (switch eliminate), it is good to have some baseline history of what healthy looks like with the VCDS.

just like a map and compass, it helps to know where you start.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 04:01   #36
meerschm
Veteran Member

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...05&postcount=1
points to some data collected on a Passat with the DEF.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 04:26   #37
panda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
Great idea to log some values with VCDS.

start with the engine controller advanced measuring values.

calculated and measured soot, all the exhaust temperatures (including DPF)

rpm coolant temp. (you can pick up to 12, I think) include any DEF measures.

an hour drive from cold start is informative. (logging while you go)
adjust selection, repeat.

for me, I really am not so concerned with wide open acceleration, but performance in normal driving.

you also may want to explore the basic settings, and log those values as well.

even without the upcoming modification (switch eliminate), it is good to have some baseline history of what healthy looks like with the VCDS.

just like a map and compass, it helps to know where you start.
Thanks for the suggestions, just the type of advise I was looking for. (and it was free!)
Old September 28th, 2015, 13:06   #38
El_Camino

TDI(s): None Yet

For what it is worth I was at the dealer Saturday and the 2016 Golf TDI is no longer on hold as "Stop Sale" it is back to "Price" as the hold type. The ship date was moved from 10/12 to 9/28 and there is no price listed on the dealer computers. My sales rep said he has been checking daily and everything he is being told points to him getting cars shortly.

I have not had a chance to read the WVU report but I am interested being an engineer at an automotive company.

El_Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:34   #39
nkgagne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly in signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
I really am not so concerned with wide open acceleration, but performance in normal driving.
Since when is wide open acceleration not "normal driving"?

Bone stock. Dieselgate Stage 1 reflash complete.
nkgagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 16:59   #40
CruisingWagon

We need a like button.....
CruisingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 04:52   #41
panda
Veteran Member

Default Off the reservation

At the risk of going of the reservation here I think the real long term problem for the planet is carbon, specifically carbon in the atmosphere. Until EV's become affordable and their energy can come from true low carbon sources (can I say nuclear here) diesel powered vehicles have a significant contribution to make.

Sure, the NOX cheating debacle needs to be fixed. If it can't be fixed then diesels in small vehicles will cease to be made and used, and frankly that's how it should be. Many hand wringers are now pushing for exactly that outcome. If diesels in small vehicles disappear in the mid to long term we will pump more carbon into the air in a science experiment of epic proportions.

Less is more, less diesel fuel burned == less carbon. I love the torque and power but what I like best is the outstanding mpg that I've received in the 3/4 of million miles I driven diesel vehicles and I know others do too. It will be too bad if the discussion in the day and months ahead becomes only about NOX cheating. I think it's really more complicated than that and hopefully we'll get around to a broader discussion of life time emissions and real world performance 100K down the road. I think these play to the strength of the diesel ICE.

I reread the EA288 Design and Function guide this morning and if this design falls down then heads at VW should roll. There are lots of good things in this design but a huge and I mean huge amount the the design effort has gone into the emission goals. It will be interesting to see how it holds up to the hard scrutiny it is sure to receive.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 13:38   #42
waspie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05.5 pkg2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Camino View Post
For what it is worth I was at the dealer Saturday and the 2016 Golf TDI is no longer on hold as "Stop Sale" it is back to "Price" as the hold type. The ship date was moved from 10/12 to 9/28 and there is no price listed on the dealer computers. My sales rep said he has been checking daily and everything he is being told points to him getting cars shortly.

I have not had a chance to read the WVU report but I am interested being an engineer at an automotive company.
Stopped into my dealer today to test drive a gti, just in case. My tdi sel had a schedule production week of 4115 (next week). He checked and mine has been made (9/28) and assigned a Vin and is on its way to port. I've got to think they wouldn't have produced it if they weren't confident they'd be able to sell them soon.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 14:25   #43
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

That's great news. I've heard they're confident about getting approval soon, and what you learned is another positive indicator.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 18:02   #44
Caseyb476
Veteran Member

Comic relief. I'm not clear if they want MSRP for an 8yr old model, or just storage, but I am glad they invited a reporter to drop off a car at the mechanic.
http://www.dailycamera.com/business/...vw-diesel-back
Caseyb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 20:13   #45
avvblanc01

this site really does need a like button.

After talking to the tech at he dealer, and from my own knowledge I have 3 theories about our 2015's:

1) Vw knew that the excrement was bound to hit the ventilator, so when the did the EA288 re-design, they made the cars perfectly emissions compliant, and the EPA is simply using the stop sale as leverage to motivate a fix for the previous generation.

2) The EA288 engine simply needs more aggressive urea injection via a ECU tuning update to meet emissions, so without sacrificing anything but more frequent ad blue fill ups, the engine will meet emissions. In my opinion, this is the worse case scenario for us 15-16 owners.
This is how it works for the heavy duty diesel trucks like the newer generation 6.7L Cummins engines that are in the Ram line up. When EGT's are high from to towing, Urea consumption is very high in order to lower nox output. For highway cruising, the EGT's are lower and so are NOx levels, so the system uses much less urea.
Id assume that even with a largely increased urea consumption, our little 2.0L TDI engines still wouldn't use enough to really be an inconvenience.