New York State Votes to Speed Up Change Over to ULSD Prior To Federal Deadline

S

SkyPup

The New York State Assembly overwhelmingly approved legislation that would force refiners to meet low-sulfur fuel standards faster than federal requirements.

The bill (A. 11027) would require the introduction of 15-ppm diesel fuel and heating oil beginning Dec. 31, 2005, about one year ahead of federal rules.

For gasoline, the New York proposal would require the introduction of 30-ppm gasoline beginning Oct. 1, 2005. Federal low-sulfur gasoline requirements call for 30-ppm sulfur levels in 2006.

The bill, which was passed late last month by a 124-24 margin, is currently in the Senate Rules Committee and could receive a floor vote as early as this summer.

However, there are no refineries in New York, so the state would have to import the low-sulfur fuels it's looking to introduce.

If the legislation, which still needs Senate approval, receives Gov. George Pataki's (R) approval, and refiners outside of New York have yet to introduce the federally required fuels, the state could find itself facing a fuel shortage.

National Petrochemical & Refiners Association President Bob Slaughter said yesterday he is concerned about the measure from a supply and boutique fuels perspective.

"The federal fuel requirements are already ambitious," he said. "To accelerate the deadlines and move to additional products (heating oil) is very difficult to do for an industry that's already facing several other requirements."

Slaughter said he will be asking NPRA member companies how they want the refiner group to respond.

It was unclear as of presstime if Pataki would support, and ulitimately authorize, such legislation.

S

SkyPup

Sure does sux to hear these API and NPRA guys whine so much about something so damn simple.....

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Let`s just hope the rest of the North East follows NY`s lead.

Perhaps we should send those API and NPRA sissies some cheese and crackers to go with their whine. I`m so tired of Big Business`s "can`t do" attitude when it comes to inevitable change.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Cool and great news. I suspect other NE states will follow. I know the people at Global Petroleum can "flick the switch" and start offering ULSD whenever the situation mandates it. They have been providing ULSD to the CT DOT for some timme.

S

SkyPup

They are demanding minimum 50 cetane diesel fuel during the summer months too!

That is a HUGE improvement over the crud they serve up now.

Boundless

BANNED
Hmmmmm..... I thought they were demanding fuel that produces much lower particulates.

That would be low sulfur, higher paraffinics and lower aromatics.

Fuel that is higher in paraffinics and lower in aromatics produces less particulates and just so happens to be higher in cetane number.

S

SkyPup

nice to see they are also demanding the same treatment for all gasoline as well