Nissan 240SX TDi Swap

frucknut

TDI
---
Hey guys, couldn't find any information on this anywhere online. It is completely impossible?? Big waste of time???
I'm guessing everyone with a 240sx who considers modding, generally goes for some sr20, rb, ls1 or some other big time racing'ish engine.

I'm pretty much over the need for excessive speed, and want to get a diesel car to run on WVO(possibly through greasecar,any suggestns?) bc my mpg is a big concern. I like the tdi bc it's diesel and can move pretty well.

I have a 91' 240sx and rather than sell it for optimistically $2k and buy a 10-11k golf tdi, wouldn't it be more cost effective to swap out my KA for a post 2000 TDi???

should i
....go for the swap? if so, what do i need to know???
or
....sell the 240sx, take the hit and get a golf tdi?:confused:

Last edited:

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I was just thinking about this because my roomate is a 240 guy. I think it would be a easy swap using the same drive line i have in my volvo. Just adapt it to a toyota w58 trans, and it would be an exercise in making mounts.

With that said, there might be better (lighter) rwd chassis to go with. Rwd corolla would be a really good choice but they appear to be plated in gold these days.

Keep in mind if your trying to save money, this isnt a good way if your time is worth anything.

Here is a simple brake down of costs that adds up quick with the swap.

Donor 240sx 1-2k

Complete 1.9 tdi swap (engine, ecu, wireing harness, turbo, manifolds) $3k

Acme adapter kit (I built my own but most should just buy it from them) $1k

Toyota w58 trans $300

Clutch to hold all that mad diesel torque $400

A lot of damn man hours $? To me its fun but I could be building a car for somone else and getting paid.

10k isnt that bad when you add it all up. Granded you will have a fwd car and a trans made of glass but it will have refinment that a project car never will. With that said, I am madly in love with my tdi vovlo and wouldnt trade it for a 20k tdi.

frucknut

TDI
---
sdturbo said:
I was just thinking about this because my roomate is a 240 guy. I think it would be a easy swap using the same drive line i have in my volvo. Just adapt it to a toyota w58 trans, and it would be an exercise in making mounts.

With that said, there might be better (lighter) rwd chassis to go with. Rwd corolla would be a really good choice but they appear to be plated in gold these days.

Keep in mind if your trying to save money, this isnt a good way if your time is worth anything.

Here is a simple brake down of costs that adds up quick with the swap.

Donor 240sx 1-2k

Complete 1.9 tdi swap (engine, ecu, wireing harness, turbo, manifolds) $3k

Acme adapter kit (I built my own but most should just buy it from them) $1k

Toyota w58 trans $300

Clutch to hold all that mad diesel torque $400

A lot of damn man hours $? To me its fun but I could be building a car for somone else and getting paid.

10k isnt that bad when you add it all up. Granded you will have a fwd car and a trans made of glass but it will have refinment that a project car never will. With that said, I am madly in love with my tdi vovlo and wouldnt trade it for a 20k tdi.

i guess i'm just really hesitant to give up my car. I've been through a lot with that thing =\

i kinda started doing the math, (w/out interest) and here's the breakdown

keeping the 240....
$3200 sr20 swap
gas/mo @ $43/week x 52wks = $2,236
lets just say $2,500 bc sometimes there are those weeks you just gotta drive...
3 yrs of that (2500 x 3) = $7,500
then it'll be about ~$10k
this is bankin on nothing else breakin down.

if i bought the tdi+greaseCar kit, i'd be making profit(relatively) after 3 years just using restaurant WVO.

am i missing anything? so i'm probably just gonna junk the 240sx, and sell it for $1500 or something. what do you think?

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
frucknut said:
i guess i'm just really hesitant to give up my car. I've been through a lot with that thing =\

i kinda started doing the math, (w/out interest) and here's the breakdown

keeping the 240....
$3200 sr20 swap
gas/mo @ $43/week x 52wks = $2,236
lets just say $2,500 bc sometimes there are those weeks you just gotta drive...
3 yrs of that (2500 x 3) = $7,500
then it'll be about ~$10k
this is bankin on nothing else breakin down.

if i bought the tdi+greaseCar kit, i'd be making profit(relatively) after 3 years just using restaurant WVO.

am i missing anything? so i'm probably just gonna junk the 240sx, and sell it for $1500 or something. what do you think?
Read up on WVO, its not as easy on the modern diesels. Keep in mind tdi parts are plated in gold. To make some fun power is going to run you a couple grand. Saving money is the least practical reason to build a car like this. To me a diesel 240sx has several advantages, smog exempt, better mileage, rwd is fun, it will be different, and it might be a fun project if you have the ability.

moT1

TDI
A4 Jetta, 2000, blue, A6 Jetta, Red
sdturbo said:
I'm reading this thread with interest as my son is looking for a project car to use the good ALH engine we've got in the shop now. We've got a line on a BMW 2002 that might be just the ticket.

We'd be doing a mechanical injection pump to lose all the smoke tubes, ACME adaptor and Toyo trans. Should come together at about 2400# all up, I think that would make a v. tasty package!

More than 25 years old too, so no worries from the inspection man here in NY as well ;)

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
moT1 said:
I'm reading this thread with interest as my son is looking for a project car to use the good ALH engine we've got in the shop now. We've got a line on a BMW 2002 that might be just the ticket.

We'd be doing a mechanical injection pump to lose all the smoke tubes, ACME adaptor and Toyo trans. Should come together at about 2400# all up, I think that would make a v. tasty package!

More than 25 years old too, so no worries from the inspection man here in NY as well ;)
Ah another fantastic car, im putting a 5 speed in my dads 72 tii as I speak. Skip the mechanical injection, the wiring is a weekend project and not that bad. The end result is nice. The 2002 has a narrow engine bay which may cause some trouble. The tdi motor is actully quite wide with the agle and all the accessories. The cross member in the front goes right where the oil pickup is on the tdi aswell. Im sure it can all be worked around. Would be a really cool project.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Which way does the 240's engine rotate? I've seen several examples of average 240's locally of similar vintage go for 4K +. If you get a mid 90's diesel you will probably break even. I'm not sure swapping could ever be cost effective, an engine is an easy 3K, plus untold costs for little stuff, and time is worth something. This is even if it fits.

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! This would be sweet. I used to own a 240sx and loved the car. the stock KA series engine blows and the sr20 convesion is played out, DO SOMTHING UNIQUE. I am doing my tuck with an Acme adapter plate that could make it possible to use alot of toyota trany's including the supra. Don't let people discourage you from trying this, It could be done.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=196420