www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 1st, 2018, 04:52   #61
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk7 Golf TDI

Checked this morning and pressure was exactly 1700hpa before start, key on raises pressure instantly from electric pump, then starter engages and this time it fired fairly quickly but died right after, starter kept going and engine started normally very shortly after. Seems like it's the valve timing solenoid...
Victor Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 04:58   #62
thundershorts
Veteran Member

I had the long crank issue occasionally, maybe 1 out of three starts until I replaced the lift pump with the latest part # one. Now no longer hear the pump hum and no longer get the long crank issue. the part # suffix was AN I seem to remember.
Old May 1st, 2018, 05:14   #63
thundershorts
Veteran Member

I had replaced the pump because I had emitted a loud screech sound and left me dead on the highway. VW refused to pay as they found no trouble. Lift pump itself throws no codes other than low rail pressure. Why would VW change the part unless they knew that the earlier one was a problem? Besides most of these cars sat for 2 years dormant, pumps sitting in funky fuel.
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:06   #64
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

Interesting, do you have the updated cam adjuster? What was your rail pressure before and after?
Old May 6th, 2018, 04:16   #65
thundershorts
Veteran Member

Victor, my car was a fairly late build date, late May, so it probably has updated adjuster. I didn't bother to check rail pressure before changing lift pump as the pump had shown signs of failure by its sounds and by leaving me stranded. No further long crank issue and the pump is almost inaudible.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 13:25   #66
stu75038

You got a leaky/sticky vvt valve. Probably cause the oil on average is too dirty. Change your oil AND clean your vvt valve. Watch the below video...will save you a lot of pain and anguish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvHdmq0reA
stu75038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:28   #67
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

I didn't know cleaning it was an option but i did see diagnose Dan's video and i think that's the issue. Unfortunately the dealer in Canada lists the old part with that big bulb on it. Any idea what that part is for guys and gals? In any case, at some point I'm going to change it

Forgot to add to thundershorts (love the name) that i don't think my fuel pump is the issue as it sounds good.

Last edited by Victor Huge; May 23rd, 2018 at 15:30.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:36   #68
stu75038

I'd assume if Dan-the-man can dissemble the old part then so can we. Soak the metal bits in a solvent and scrub-adub-dub. Just now noticed that Smertrios had already found that video 8 months ago and posted it on this thread...I'm bad about reading all the posts before posting....good find Smertrios!

Just curious for my own protection from such an issue...how often do you change your oil and filter?

Stu

Last edited by stu75038; May 29th, 2018 at 06:49.
stu75038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:19   #69
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu75038 View Post
.I'm bad about reading all the posts before posting....good find Smertrios!
Then make sure you read post #s: 52, 53 & 57
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 20:39   #70
CruisingWagon

My car has done this on a few occasions since I've owned it too. However, this week it became worse. It was happening on almost every start. Took it up to VW and they said it's bad fuel but cleaned my fuel injectors anyway.

Incidentally, I did buy fuel at a different station so I'm waiting for this tank to empty and fill up at my regular place.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by CruisingWagon; June 3rd, 2018 at 20:43.
CruisingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 21:24   #71
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

"Bad fuel" is a common reason given by VW for almost anything wrong with your car. Take it with a grain of salt. Unless you are really buying some rot gut fuel somewhere.
Old June 7th, 2018, 04:33   #72
thundershorts
Veteran Member

My contention is if its bad fuel, I want them to give me a lab report, not some wanker service writer telling me so. I was told my fuel jelled, so I put a sample in my sub zero set to -14f and left it there for 24h, nothing happened except it changed from yellow to slightly cloudy yellow. They refused to change the lift pump, although it was screeching at -7f. its obvious to me vw changed the lift pump part# because of some known problem with the pump and the long crank issue many here have experienced. If you read the extended warranty at the bottom of page 5, it states that any disputed issue with the warranty, customer shall prevail. I'v asked customer service to explain that phrase and they said the legal dept would call me and two weeks have gone by with no call back from legal dept. One supposed regional manager, Sharon, told me that the wording in the warranty didn't exist.
Old June 8th, 2018, 10:26   #73
CruisingWagon

Well, I'm halfway through the next tank of fuel and it hasn't had a long crank since. The reason I go back to that service department is that they've never steered me wrong that I know of.

Plus, if I was a dishonest Service Advisor I wouldn't tell my customer: "I don't want to charge you a diagnostic fee. We think it's bad fuel but they cleaned your injectors for you anyway. Fill up somewhere else and if it's still doing it let me know and I'll have you back for a better look."

Instead I'd tell them: "Yep, looks like you're low on turn signal fluid. We filled it up for ya. Only 500 dollars. It will take about a week for the sensors to catch up and then it will start like it's brand new!"
CruisingWagon is offline   Reply With Quote