Ipad mini as car audio control. SWEET!!

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '03 Jetta wagon
I had a GROM unit that worked OK for hands-free with my various lightning-connector iPhones. It stopped working about two years ago. I'm wondering how it might be useful if I replaced it or got it fixed. I like the factory radio OK and the GROM unit tied into the CD changer connection and gave me hands-free phone.

So I'm wondering if I could do what I want with the GROM, iPad, and WiFi camera. I should just experiment to see how much data can go from the phone to the iPad over their built-in tethering. If you can share location data then the nav part should work with just a WiFi iPad.

- backup camera through WiFi
- nav from iPhone to iPad
- music from iPad to GROM to head unit
- phone... not sure. I'd like that to go over the iPad but pretty much every component would be in play there due to the hands-free mic.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Bio... I'd love to look at your pics but they are TINY.
Clicking the thumbnails will take you to his TDI club gallery with the original images.

I too would like a higher mounted display for rear view purposes, but am not ready to invest the time/effort. I did pick up a rear view mirror/screen that mounts over top of the existing mirror, but doesn’t support a wireless camera.

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
For me they are just tiny thumbnails, but he sent me the full-size ones. They show the factory head unit being relocated to the trunk by extending the wiring harness, and then installing an iPad holder in the dash. But that doesn't fully help me; I have an older car (no bluetooth, no hands-free, no camera) and need to figure out how the data flows between the various components. On his car it is all done with bluetooth and there is a bit of conflict between devices.

Numerous sites show that an iPad or iPhone can be connected by WiFi to the static IP of the camera and still have some connectivity through other means. Exactly how much, I don't know, but I'll try to find out.

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a follow-up; I tried the PearlAuto RearVision system to give me a backup camera on my IOS device. It's a solid concept but on this particular car it isn't fully realized because the car does not tell the camera when it's going into reverse. Consequently, you need to manually select the camera every time you want it, and sometimes there's a lag while the camera restarts. Other cars apparently communicate better (the controller is plugged into the OBD port), but in my case it just wouldn't get used.

There's also similar system on the market but it specifically says it doesn't work on tablets.