98 Jetta driven hard to the point of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
OK.. I was kinda drunk last night and driving pretty fast( stupid I know). Anyway, I think I was coming to a stop and threw it into gear. I'm not exactly sure .. The car cranks but doesn't turn over.. At first I suspected that I melted my clutch but after checking it out today it does go into gear. So I don't think that's it. Any chance of snapping the timing belt from driving like an idiot? Its in a parking lot so I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet.. Just looking for some tips.. Thanks!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
OK.. I was kinda drunk last night and driving pretty fast( stupid I know). Anyway, I think I was coming to a stop and threw it into gear. I'm not exactly sure .. The car cranks but doesn't turn over.. At first I suspected that I melted my clutch but after checking it out today it does go into gear. So I don't think that's it. Any chance of snapping the timing belt from driving like an idiot? Its in a parking lot so I haven't had a chance to tear it apart yet.. Just looking for some tips.. Thanks!

You drove drunk?

Subscribed.

Bill

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
who really cares about the car?

Most important is somehow you didn't kill someone else, less importantly yourself.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
For you to physical come on here and post this makes me question your capability to own that car properly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You may not remember what you did but it's entirely possible you caused the timing belt to skip a tooth or two. At best that may retard the timing enough so the car won't run. At worst it causes valves to hit pistons and can destroy many components in the head.

It's best not to try to start the car. If valves and pistons are in contact you're just going to hammer it to pieces by cranking it over. Check to see if the timing belt has slipped. If it has pull the valve cover and look for lifter damage. Most likely the head will have to come off.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Thank you very much for the real response indigo! That's kinda what I'm thinking. I didn't turn it over to much, so hopefully there's not to much damage.

Your totally right! Who cares about car now! Since I did the stupid act of driving while drinking I should punish myself by just selling the car all together!!
I drive hammered all the time! Its the best! (Sarcasm)Come on guys, are you kidding me? Like none of you ever drove drunk before? Yes, I know it was stupid. I don't usually go out, get hammered and drive around trying to run people over. I'll be sure to go turn myself in tomorrow since it'll be the good Christian thing to do and I'm sure its what all of you would do.. Then all of you judgy judge Judy wanna Bes can stroke your little boy boners while you read my update..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
go crank your car till it starts.

That advice will help keep the roads safe, since you effed your car up too much to drive it. =)

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Little bit annoyed with myself about the whole thing already. I know it was stupid and i kinda expect the flaming. If your gonna flame me about it, be creative and try not to sound like a complete cornball like that last comment..

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I'm kinda asking for it with the title of my thread though..lol

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Dammit-another Porcelain Blue Jetta possibly biting the dust. Shoulda left the drinking part out,keks. You should expect this kind of response when you say something like that. I did that a couple times when I was a teen-looking back it was a really,really stupid thing. I haven't done it since,and don't intend to-I need my CDL for my job. Texting and driving drowsy are just as bad,IMHO. As to the matter of car-don't crank anymore till you pull the TB cover off. Do you think crank could've snapped doing something like that?

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Crapcakes

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
Im getting flown to Tennessee on Tuesday for a business meeting and I don't have the timing tools to do it.. I just changed the timing belt in the spring!!! Arrr!! German auto outfitters is pretty good with TDIs.. It'll cost me 100 probably to get it towed but I really don't know what else to do.. Hopefully it just slipped.. It didn't make a loud sound or crash so hopefully nothing snapped.. It just stalled out and wouldn't start back up.. If I could find a 1000 beater I'd consider parking it in my car port until I have time to work on it. I frigging love my car! Little quirks and all.. Dam this sucks

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You really shouldn't drink and drive, there's a real risk you might spill it :p

You are still an idiot though :D

Anyway what's the story? Has it got fuel? Have you checked the belt? Anything obvious? Or have you not been back to it yet?

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
You really shouldn't drink and drive, there's a real risk you might spill it :p

You are still an idiot though :D

Anyway what's the story? Has it got fuel? Have you checked the belt? Anything obvious? Or have you not been back to it yet?
There is fuel in the tank, I don't wanna crank it again to see if fuel is going to the injection pump in case anything did slip.. I did a little quick look over, nothing obvious.. Its currently in a strip mall parking lot.. if it slipped a tooth or two wouldn't it at least try and start? It just cranks kinda like its out of fuel..

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
There is fuel in the tank, I don't wanna crank it again to see if fuel is going to the injection pump in case anything did slip.. I did a little quick look over, nothing obvious.. Its currently in a strip mall parking lot.. if it slipped a tooth or two wouldn't it at least try and start? It just cranks kinda like its out of fuel..

Is your GP light coming on when you turn the key?

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
The glow plug light is blinking but I noticed it did that the other day for couple miles.. I have torque(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en) on my phone and the obo Bluetooth reader (which is super awesome btw)and I did a check. No codes except for the egr code that's been thrown since I eliminated my n18(I think that's what it is, forget ATM) when I installed my vnt setup..

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Thank you very much for the real response indigo! That's kinda what I'm thinking. I didn't turn it over to much, so hopefully there's not to much damage.

Your totally right! Who cares about car now! Since I did the stupid act of driving while drinking I should punish myself by just selling the car all together!!
I drive hammered all the time! Its the best! (Sarcasm)Come on guys, are you kidding me? Like none of you ever drove drunk before? Yes, I know it was stupid. I don't usually go out, get hammered and drive around trying to run people over. I'll be sure to go turn myself in tomorrow since it'll be the good Christian thing to do and I'm sure its what all of you would do.. Then all of you judgy judge Judy wanna Bes can stroke your little boy boners while you read my update..

Oh my...best to stop now and not dig any deeper.

...Could you check static timing?....oh wait, I see from a later post that it is in a shopping mall lot. Probably not an easy place (in the cold) to do much work on the car.

Last edited:

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I need vagcom for that right? The computer I had it installed on had its video card melt.. Also, the car needs to be running to check it right?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Static timing is sometimes called mechanical timing. Check if crank, camshaft, and pump all align properly using timing tools. No VCDS needed.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
This is something that should be viewed before reported.

I don't think that valve damage canbe prevented with less than 1/2 revolution. Tow it home, and start tearing it apart.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna get it towed to a garage. My vag comp **** the bed and I don't have the timing tools.. I'm also going out of town on Tuesday.. Hopefully she's all fixed and puttering along when I get back.. I just hope this doesn't set me back anymore than 1500 or I might consider getting a $1000 beater and just working on it myself when I get time

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
I rented the tools when I did my timing belt 6 months ago.. Should have just bought them :/

butteAK

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat 1Z, 97 passat AHU, 99 jetta ALH motor for future buggy project
rat bastards like you should be put down like the worthless dogs you are on the spot.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I agree. Driving hard like that is murder on the MPGs. OP should be sentenced to drive a Geo Metro for 10-to-20, with possible time off for good behavior (we are civilized).

Status
Not open for further replies.