Ordering a 6M

Niner

duplicate account, banned
What is the waiting time if one orders a passat Se in the 6M configuration this time of year? Just curious. Can you get a better price if you order, due to the dealership not having any carrying or holding costs from VW on said car?

Last edited:

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
What is the waiting time if one orders a passat Se in the 6M configuration this time of year? Just curious.
Well they just made a bunch of TDI's in December for both the Canadian and US market. The answer might depend on what colour/trim level you want.

I believe in the states you guys have website that can search for cars nationwide or perhaps talk to your dealer on state wide availability.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
High demand and lack of supply is working against prospective Passat TDI buyers. The Chattanooga plant just announced plans to hire and additional 200 workers, which I believe is a 13% increase.

Seems most dealers are asking MSRP. I think your best bet is to find one on the lot and show-up ready to buy that day. May be your only chance at discounting the price. Some even suggest waiting until the last few days of the month. Both are good 'bird in the hand' scenarios to a dealer.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you're ordering, chances are the dealer knows you'll be willing to pay MSRP. Best bet is to scower or contact chris farnham

Niner

Passat SE TDI 6 speed manual MSRP $26,765, paid $24,900 for it. Deals are out there at the end of this month. Kearny Mesa VW in San Diego, CA, ask for Tim.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
i showed this post to a dealer in nashville today when he told me they were only taking MSRP +$750 today. He told me i was crazy and this post was BS. Like you said, walk out. the demand isnt that high for these. americans are scared of diesels and probably will be so forever. That is why hybrid sales are rising dramatically and manufacturers are releasing more and more models each year, yet diesels are just creeping up with few companies adding new models.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
When I ordered my SEL Premium back in late October, the dealer let me get it for near $1k below MSRP when I ordered it. He said "It's a no brainer". He also said that even if I walked away from the dealer at a later time, he has no worries that he'd sell it at MSRP.

In other words, because ordering is a slam dunk sale, he was willing to deal down from MSRP whereas he wouldn't deal on a in-lot car.

YMMV.

TDI_SC

germ

TDI
2012 Passat tdi 6sp man
If Niner said he paid $24,900 ordering it. Invoice is $25884 with mat kit. The dealer has 3% of MSRP for Advertising hold back ( $779.82) That means that the dealer lost $204.00 on a car that he can sell at MSRP ( 27000)

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
come on, we all know those dealer "invoices" are BS. there are SEVERAL invoices and the true one isnt ever show to anyone. Plus they dont include the kickbacks from the sale or financing.

Niner

Mine was in stock on the floor, found it with an internet search. My car was on the show floor I found it with an internet search

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
VW of Fort Myers has a Reflex Silver/Titan Black SE 6MT on the lot. I ordered an SEL Premium on Thursday from Reeves VW in Tampa. I thought this pic may help. I added the 6year/100,000 mile extended warranty.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I have bought 3 new vehicles and I have always ordered and have gotten below invoice on price. This does not include any rebates or trade ins. You must make it clear you want a part of the hold back fee. Some dealers will not allow you to do it but if you shop around you find them out there. In theory you should always be able to get a better deal by ordering because the dealership will retain most or a majority of that hold back amount.