Just ordered a new Passat

TDI Justin

TDI
2012 Passat
Hi everbody. I just ordered a new Passat and can't wait to get it. I am new to vw and to tdi also. Before i decided to purchase i did a lot of research on this site to make sure i was making the right decision. There were a couple of questions that i had about the tdi that the couldn't answer and i was hoping some one here could help me understand.

My first question is why doesn't this car require to be plugged in when it gets cold out. I live in Michigan and everyone else i know that drives a diesel has to plug them in, especially if they leave them parked outside for extended periods of time.

My second question is about the shifter. I ordered a manual and the only thing that stood out to me is how long the throws are. Is there a short shift replacement available and will it affect my warranty.

Thank you and look forward to posting on here often.

NateM

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Manual
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a midnight blue 6 speed manual on 12/19. Hoping for April??
I know you can get a dieselgeek short shifter. I had one on my GTI 337 10 years ago and it worked great. I don't think it should affect your warranty unless your gears start grinding and the tech could easily blame your short shifter. If there ever is a wattanty issue with your trans you could easily swap back to the stock parts.
I believe you can get a block heater from the dealer as an accessory, but I am not 100% sure on that

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Welcome to the club. There's a ton of good information here.
VW heater: $450...don't know if it's a coolant or block heater. They are OE standard in Canada. (A Canadian member can clarify this?)
FrostHeater: <$150...1000watts...coolant, not block, heater. Uses convection to circulate the coolant. I recommend this one.
My tech (non VW) charged me 2 hours (!!!) labor to install in my Jettas, as it's a very tight fit. Frostheater says Passat install is easier...more room.

Sorry to say, though, with the current delay in delivery of Passats, you might not need the engine heater until next fall! I think it will be well worth the wait, though. We love our's.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Justin, what area of MI do you live? I'll be in Sterling Heights this weekend.
To answer question 1, TDI motors have not needed a block heater for almost 2 decades. Being a small motor, there's plenty of battery juice to crank the it enough when temps are well below zero. But if you live in say, Copper Harbor, where single digit temps are common, I'd recommend using a plug-in heather. My current TDI sat in the driveway every night for the last 5 winters. Always started without a heater... coldest was -24*F. Definitely struggles at that temp and make a hell of a racket. Someone suggested the new CR motors start even easier.

Reasons you may want a block heater are instant heat, faster warmups and better fuel economy in winter.

Frankly, fuel gelling is a much bigger issue. In MI I recommend using an additive December through February. Many brands to choose from, like Power Service (white bottle) and Stanadyne to name a few. Many of us use Power Service because it's sold everywhere.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
There is as well the debated benefits of oil protection at such cold temperatures.

With the heater the oil flows faster and sooner to all the parts so possibly some benefit from starting a warmed engine versus completely cold.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I don't "need" my Frostheater. Using it, though, and every winter start is as smooth and quiet as a summer start...ScangaugeII reads 105-115f at start-up, when ambient is 25-35.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Hi everbody. I just ordered a new Passat and can't wait to get it. I am new to vw and to tdi also. Before i decided to purchase i did a lot of research on this site to make sure i was making the right decision. There were a couple of questions that i had about the tdi that the couldn't answer and i was hoping some one here could help me understand.

My first question is why doesn't this car require to be plugged in when it gets cold out. I live in Michigan and everyone else i know that drives a diesel has to plug them in, especially if they leave them parked outside for extended periods of time.

My second question is about the shifter. I ordered a manual and the only thing that stood out to me is how long the throws are. Is there a short shift replacement available and will it affect my warranty.

Thank you and look forward to posting on here often.
What did you order SE or SEL? There is now a hold on all SEL (TDI, I5 or V6) orders due to a leather seat constraint. Right now the factory is only processing TDI SE orders

Santa2ya

TDI
None
What did you order SE or SEL? There is now a hold on all SEL (TDI, I5 or V6) orders due to a leather seat constraint. Right now the factory is only processing TDI SE orders

OP states "I ordered a manual..." so it has to be an SE. You will not find a factory built manual in SEL trim. Maybe 2013 but I doubt it. I would love to see a wagon in say 2014 but I have yet to hear anything concrete.

TDI Justin

TDI
2012 Passat
I live south of flint, about 20 mins. I ordered the SE with manual, however the dealer i bought it from just notified me that they found a couple in the surrounding area that aren't claimed so i might get it sooner. This car will be specifially for work so i don't want to do a ton of mods to it, i just want to make some slight enhancements.
I forgot about the fuel gelling. Don't the stations put an additive in to prevent this?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I live south of flint, about 20 mins. I ordered the SE with manual, however the dealer i bought it from just notified me that they found a couple in the surrounding area that aren't claimed so i might get it sooner. This car will be specifially for work so i don't want to do a ton of mods to it, i just want to make some slight enhancements.
I forgot about the fuel gelling. Don't the stations put an additive in to prevent this?
Yes most fuel in colder climates have additives added to prevent gelling. This usually starts in late fall and ends in the spring sometime, depending on the area.

texpar

TDI
2012 Passat almost
what is ???? due to a leather seat constraint

Been waiting on my TDI SEL sense ordered end of last SEPT......

Now I read this delayed due to a leather seat constraint...What the heck does that mean? did they run out of all colors of the interior for the SEL's??

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I test drove a Passat S TDI w/ manual this past Friday. Glacier blue with Cornsilk interior, just in case anyone was looking. Dean Team Ballwin.

oilhammer

TDI
And what were your observations?
Nice car. Not quite the punch that the older TDIs can give, but still plenty to move the car. It feels very heavy, and has some really long legs. I never was able to go fast enough to get it past 4th gear. Roomy interior, excellent trim quality. Very quiet.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Nice car. Not quite the punch that the older TDIs can give, but still plenty to move the car. It feels very heavy, and has some really long legs. I never was able to go fast enough to get it past 4th gear. Roomy interior, excellent trim quality. Very quiet.
LOL! We need to get a poll of the highest speed obtained so far.

It is definitely more peppy than the 05 with the slushbox tranny.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, a stock B5. My RC1 would eat it for lunch though. The BHW already has about the same power. 136hp vs. 140, and more torque, 247 vs. 236, and it needs less RPMs to do it. Shame the slushbox stunts so much of the power. At least I have gotten to drive ONE BHW bolted to a manual. :p

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Yeah, a stock B5. My RC1 would eat it for lunch though. The BHW already has about the same power. 136hp vs. 140, and more torque, 247 vs. 236, and it needs less RPMs to do it. Shame the slushbox stunts so much of the power. At least I have gotten to drive ONE BHW bolted to a manual. :p
The BHW w/manual, did it have a V6 5M conversion? What was your opinion of the manual BHW?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I don't remember the warranty mileage off the top of my head but I thought I may be out of warranty by TDIFest. If so I'm checking in with RocketChip!:D